Famous hawks who never made an impact

I think Chris Kingsbury belongs on this list. Instead of declaring for the NBA draft he should have returned for his senior year.

How could you say Kingsbury never made an impact. He put on some incredible shooting displays that were part of some big wins.

Trey Bullet...good one. I'd forgotten about him.

Last edited:
Javon Pugh, Abe Satterfield, Cedric Everson. All likely would have been great players on the field. Especially Everson. You could also throw Arvell Nelson in there. However you never know if we would have seen Stanzi in 08 with Nelson on the roster.

I remember being so excited when Everson decommited from MSU on Signing Day to sign with us. I couldn't wait to see him on the field. But then again, if he were here, then you gotta figure that Hyde/Bernstine would be an afterthought.

I remember Cedric Everson had 3 picks in that open scrimmage before the season.

Willie Guy has to be #1. The number 1 recruit in the nation, and didn't do anything significant.

I would rename this thread: "Hawks that didn't live up to the hype"

Bball- Guy Rucker(had a outstanding year then disappeared), Sam Okey, Jared Reiner, Ryan Hogan, Rob Griffin

Fball- Willie Guy, Blake Larsen, Chris Felder, Dan Doering, Jake Christensen

Didn't Jared Reiner end up playing and actually starting for the Chicago Bulls? (not for long, but at least he reached the next level) I wouldn't call him a bust.
Football, we need to add Ryan Bain to the list.

What about the Big Human? Siaka Massaquoi and Robbie Crockett come to mind from the RB position.

Didn't Massaquoi end up transferring or renigging his offer from Iowa for Michigan? If I remember right he ended up a pretty good running back for them. I believe he was there all-time yards leader until Hart took the record from him. If it's the same guy I don't think he ever enrolled in school which would delete him from the list right? Also Worley was a decent player. Sure he was better than what he showed but I would hardley call him a bust. There have been many other players in our schools history that have done far far less.

To me one of the biggest dissapointments was ***Trey Stross***. Yeah Yeah I know a lot of you guys liked him and he did have a small impact in some games. I liked the guy too until the OSU game. I will never forgive him for that game. Nobody with hands like he had drops 3 very easy balls like that. It was almost Harmon-like IMO. To me he was a huge mistake coming in as a 4 star prospect. Just MY opinion though.

Last edited:
Didn't Jared Reiner end up playing and actually starting for the Chicago Bulls? (not for long, but at least he reached the next level) I wouldn't call him a bust.
Football, we need to add Ryan Bain to the list.

It appears that half of the former basketball players that are getting ripped on (in recent threads) have had some time in the NBA or at least NBADL. Reiner, Rucker, Sonderleiter, Looby....

I would rename this thread: "Hawks that didn't live up to the hype"

Bball- Guy Rucker(had a outstanding year then disappeared), Sam Okey, Jared Reiner, Ryan Hogan, Rob Griffin

Reiner led the Big Ten in rebounding his Jr year. If that's "no impact", I'll take it.

Dusty Devries, who committed around the time his brother announced he would come back for his senior season.

Didn't Massaquoi end up transferring or renigging his offer from Iowa for Michigan? If I remember right he ended up a pretty good running back for them. I believe he was there all-time yards leader until Hart took the record from him.

That was a completely different player than Siaka Massaquoi (Hayden Fry's last class) who came to Iowa from Evanston township, Illinois. He was suspended during spring practice his senior year (2002)for an alcohol-related violation, and was dismissed from the team in late June.

I agree on your Stross comment.

Last edited:
Didn't Massaquoi end up transferring or renigging his offer from Iowa for Michigan? If I remember right he ended up a pretty good running back for them. I believe he was there all-time yards leader until Hart took the record from him. If it's the same guy I don't think he ever enrolled in school which would delete him from the list right? Also Worley was a decent player. Sure he was better than what he showed but I would hardley call him a bust. There have been many other players in our schools history that have done far far less.

To me one of the biggest dissapointments was ***Trey Stross***. Yeah Yeah I know a lot of you guys liked him and he did have a small impact in some games. I liked the guy too until the OSU game. I will never forgive him for that game. Nobody with hands like he had drops 3 very easy balls like that. It was almost Harmon-like IMO. To me he was a huge mistake coming in as a 4 star prospect. Just MY opinion though.

I highly doubt he threw that game. Personally I think maybe he just wasn't up to the pressure. Biggest game of his career, first time playing in front of all his family and friends (he didn't play the last time we went to the Shoe). I'd be nervous too. And Vandenberg brings it quite a bit harder than Stanzi does.

That was a completely different player than Siaka Massaquoi (Hayden Fry's last class) who came to Iowa from Evanston township, Illinois. He was suspended during spring practice his senior year (2002)for an alcohol-related violation, and was dismissed from the team in late June.

I agree on your Stross comment.

Thanks...I figured I probably had that wrong. I guess he was a bust as I remember him getting an offer and accepting(I was excited) but I never heard anything else about him after that and I guess I forgot about him. I just assumed he was the guy from Michigan because he was supposed to be that good for Iowa.

I highly doubt he threw that game. Personally I think maybe he just wasn't up to the pressure. Biggest game of his career, first time playing in front of all his family and friends (he didn't play the last time we went to the Shoe). I'd be nervous too. And Vandenberg brings it quite a bit harder than Stanzi does.

He might have been I guess but I don't believe it. Those passes were there for him and he flat out failed...this from a guy that was always assumed by me to have almost Hinkel-like hands. Now Hinkel...he was a great Hawkeye. Regardless of the truth I just can't forgive Stross. I just feel something wasn't right that game. The fact that he wanted to play for OSU all along didn't help matters much.

Last edited:
He might have been I guess but I don't believe it. Those passes were there for him and he flat out failed...this from a guy that was always assumed by me to have almost Hinkle-like hands. Now Hinkle...he was a great Hawkeye. Regardless of the truth I just can't forgive Stross.

Wow...get a life. I hope if you ever have kids that you do not hold them to the same standards. If you do, they will be miserable.

And it's Hinkel. Figured you of all people would not make a mistake like that. I don't think I can ever forgive you.

Latest posts