Fair Expectations of Davis Going Forward?

Remember those that were unwilling to pass judgement on KF hire of GD in real time? Can we now discuss the track record that the offense has produced?

I just don't understand the value of an OC that has developed the recent poor track record and has had such little positive impact on recruiting.

This result was predicted by so many.

Now what is the expectation/plan? Wait for the 65+ yr old GD to adapt to UI? Finally got his players here? I just don't get the reason for optimism other than saying "it can only go up from here".
But, but, but...he won the Broyles Award for top assistant coach in 2005! His next Broyles award is right around the corner. Just you wait and see.

Davis does not go forward....he goes horizontal. :eek:

Post of the year. Well done.
featured31@wdd2x.jpg

The big unanswered question to me is how does a QB end up throwing so many check down passes? Was JR coached that way? If so, why?

If not, why wasn't he coached away from it? I don't know if that is GD, KF, JR or a combination of all 3.

It's hard to believe that the typical philosophy on 3rd and 7 is to throw the ball 3 yards and ask the receivers to make plays. Was that JR taking the safe route, or GD being a total dumba$$?

I think Iowa is playing for KF's job, and all indications are that this will be another mediocre year. If it is, someone will be on the chopping block. Barta or Ferentz. One of them will not be here next season if Iowa doesn't significantly improve.

That said, I'll be at Kinnick cheering them on just like always.
I'll be cheering them on as well no matter how frustrating and painful it could get. I'm really hoping for at least 8 wins and the teams we're supposed to beat we beat in a convincing fashion.

If we see they same old check down, horizontal, and receivers constantly running routes short of the sticks on 3rd down with CJB under center then pack it up.
So just how often did CJ throw horizontally? Less than 6 times total? I remember during the Purdue game, one instance where KMM went horizontal and CJ lead him by a few yards and the pass was incomplete (KMM was open, too).

Heck, even Jake threw the ball down the field against Nebby.

I think if you look at CJ's body of work he threw the ball downfield (which is what KF fears the most). Do you think CJ threw the ball down the field to spite GD's game plan?

I swear, some of the stuff on HN is so gossipy.

I'll be cheering them on as well no matter how frustrating and painful it could get. I'm really hoping for at least 8 wins and the teams we're supposed to beat we beat in a convincing fashion.

Ah, the beauty of "hope" ... suspending reliable, realistic expectation for the sake of rationalizing futility.;) (Just razzing ya, doc.)

Although, this year, it'll be from my sofa or a bar chair, I'll be cheering wildly for smart, strategic, competitive play and victory, as well. However, my "expectation" switches to "hope" somewhere around 5 or 6 W's.

It would be at 8 or 9 if only derKirkFeravis allowed the Hawks to naturally achieve the underlined. It's really the ENTIRE foundation of fan discontent, yet so simple to remedy by just letting the guys play to their potential / strengths and with an intent to win.

So is Davis a difference maker in recruiting?
Has he gotten "used" to UI? Has the staff gotten "comfortable" with each other yet?

So just how often did CJ throw horizontally? Less than 6 times total? I remember during the Purdue game, one instance where KMM went horizontal and CJ lead him by a few yards and the pass was incomplete (KMM was open, too).

Heck, even Jake threw the ball down the field against Nebby.

I think if you look at CJ's body of work he threw the ball downfield (which is what KF fears the most). Do you think CJ threw the ball down the field to spite GD's game plan?

I swear, some of the stuff on HN is so gossipy.

Rumor is in spring practice Davis was working with the boys on 3rd down situations for the upcoming season.

Davis won with Vince Young. We or not many others have a Vince Young.

Texas laughed at us when they found out Davis was coming here. His offense is non-effective and boring. Trying to mix KF's and Davis style together has been a train wreck. You have Ferentz who had the old pro-style QB under center for years and bring Davis in who works a zone read out of the spread. They mixed the two philosophies together to have kind of a hybrid offense with the QB working out of the shot-gun and the thing has been a total disaster to this point.

Davis likely would’ve won ANOTHER NC in 2010 if McCoy hadn’t gotten hurt. Heck, they still almost won with a frosh QB.

But, but, but...he won the Broyles Award for top assistant coach in 2005! His next Broyles award is right around the corner. Just you wait and see.

He’s been to two national titles in the last decade. The guy knows what he’s doing, he doesn’t have the right personnel or support from KF.

Are you some of you posters being serious??? I'm floored and it's laughable this is debated year in and year out. I guess some fans must watch Iowa games with there eyes closed. ITS YEAR 4 and nothing has changed Enjoy more of the SAME!!

Sadly this just speaks to the knowledge of some of the fans, talk about delusional. Amazing!!

I'm patiently Waiting for Hawknick to tell us all we are on the verge of being an offensive juggernaut.

Last edited:
He’s been to two national titles in the last decade. The guy knows what he’s doing, he doesn’t have the right personnel or support from KF.

I agree. All he needs is a roster full of 5* talent and a HC that allows him to turn that talent loose. 2 things that KF can't provide.

I just don't see a net positive here.
No impact in recruiting.
No great teaching/developing of players on roster(agreed?).
I understand there was an uptick in some stats last year. I also know that is the trend across all FBS. But, no great improvement in OFF performance.

I guess all we get to do is hope " CJB is GD guy, lets see what he gets done this year" .

This is his last year to turn it around. The expectations are dramatic improvement, or it's time to start collecting Social Security checks.

Latest posts