Fair Expectations of Davis Going Forward?

Tfunkhawkeye

Remember those that were unwilling to pass judgement on KF hire of GD in real time? Can we now discuss the track record that the offense has produced?

I just don't understand the value of an OC that has developed the recent poor track record and has had such little positive impact on recruiting.

This result was predicted by so many.

Now what is the expectation/plan? Wait for the 65+ yr old GD to adapt to UI? Finally got his players here? I just don't get the reason for optimism other than saying "it can only go up from here".

Davis does not go forward....he goes horizontal. :eek:

featured31@wdd2x.jpg

If we see they same old check down, horizontal, and receivers constantly running routes short of the sticks on 3rd down with CJB under center then pack it up.

Greg Davis is a national championship winning coach. His offense is proven to work. It's KF's fault for not getting him the players he needs. Those same plays that Ruddock turned into three yard outs went for TD's when he had Vince back there.

Greg Davis is a national championship winning coach. His offense is proven to work. It's KF's fault for not getting him the players he needs. Those same plays that Ruddock turned into three yard outs went for TD's when he had Vince back there.

When you have the best talent in NCAA football and speed, the scheme is secondary. One need look no further than the play that clinched said NC. Vince Young scrambled and ran for it. It had nothing to do with an offensive call. (note how Young flopped miserably in the NFL, when talent alone wouldn't do it. You can get away with that in college)

Davis' last season at Texas (2010) was awful, the first time in 13 years that Texas did not make a bowl game. It ultimately cost Mack Brown his job. (BTW, they lost to Iowa State at home. Sound familiar?)

THAT is the Greg Davis that Kirk hired.

When you have the best talent in NCAA football, the scheme is secondary. One need look no further than the play that clinched said NC. Vince Young scrambled and ran for it. It had nothing to do with an offensive call.

His last season at Texas (2010) was awful, the first time in 13 years that Texas did not make a bowl game. It ultimately cost Mack Brown his job. (BTW, they lost to Iowa State at home. Sound familiar?)

THAT is the Greg Davis that Kirk hired.

Ha shows how little you know, that played worked just like Greg drew it up.

Ha shows how little you know, that played worked just like Greg drew it up.

Guess you told me. Apparently all the Texas fans of similar opinion are also wrong.

Missed the point, Mike. ANYTHING will work when your QB is head and shoulders better athletically than everybody else on the field. Calling a delayed QB run w Vince Young worked. Clear it out and let your best athlete run...good call, but not exactly offensive genius.

https://youtu.be/s8zZRBTOcnY

I agree that Kirk and Davis share the blame equally. It's a complete mismatch of philosophy. How did they think it was going to work when Kirk offered and Davis accepted?

Last edited:
Guess you told me. Apparently all the Texas fans of similar opinion are also wrong.

Missed the point, Mike. ANYTHING will work when your QB is head and shoulders better athletically than everybody else on the field. Calling a delayed QB run w Vince Young worked. Clear it out and let your best athlete run...good call, but not exactly offensive genius.

I agree that Kirk and Davis share the blame equally. It's a complete mismatch of philosophy. How did they think it was going to work when Kirk offered and Davis accepted?

Well if Davis knows how to make an offense work, then Kurt just needs to get him the players he needs and we'll be set. Not hard to see where the blame lies here. I don't see any national title rings on KF's fingers.

Davis won with Vince Young. We or not many others have a Vince Young.

Texas laughed at us when they found out Davis was coming here. His offense is non-effective and boring. Trying to mix KF's and Davis style together has been a train wreck. You have Ferentz who had the old pro-style QB under center for years and bring Davis in who works a zone read out of the spread. They mixed the two philosophies together to have kind of a hybrid offense with the QB working out of the shot-gun and the thing has been a total disaster to this point.

I'm by no means a fan of Greg Davis at Iowa but I do think this season he might finally have the guys in place on office to run his scheme. It's still not a 100% fit but this is closer then we've ever been to having the guys to run the offense.

Time will tell of course if it works of course.

I just want to see an offense that can move the ball, and put the ball in the end zone at a decent clip. That doesn't mean I expect a Top-10 nationally ranked offense, but Top 30-40 would be nice to see, rather than 70-100+.

Of course, that begs the question as to whether GD has full control over the offense, or if KF has shackled him.

I'm not a Davis fan by any stretch, but the offense wasn't exactly stellar under KOK, either. Stagnant offense has pretty typically been the norm on KF's watch, with the exception of a couple seasons like 2002 and 2008. Iowa had better skill position talent those years, though.

It is really as simple as this for the Iowa Offense:

Head Coach stuck in reverse + Offensive Coordinator that goes horizonal

=

austinpowers-070910.jpg

Hopefully Davis will look a little better this year now that we will have a QB who isn't afraid to throw and will not have a fullback at the RB position.

The big unanswered question to me is how does a QB end up throwing so many check down passes? Was JR coached that way? If so, why?

If not, why wasn't he coached away from it? I don't know if that is GD, KF, JR or a combination of all 3.

It's hard to believe that the typical philosophy on 3rd and 7 is to throw the ball 3 yards and ask the receivers to make plays. Was that JR taking the safe route, or GD being a total dumba$$?

I think Iowa is playing for KF's job, and all indications are that this will be another mediocre year. If it is, someone will be on the chopping block. Barta or Ferentz. One of them will not be here next season if Iowa doesn't significantly improve.

That said, I'll be at Kinnick cheering them on just like always.

Latest posts