FAB 5

I like the lineup, and think we will see this combo plenty. But I cannot see how both McCabe & Basabe are out of the starting lineup. One of them has to be in there. More than likely it will be both, if neither Gabe nor Woody can show that they need to be started...
One thing is for sure, we will see a lot of different lineups start. Only Marble, White & Gesell will start every game (assuming they do not get banged up, or have multiple bad performances).

I like the lineup, and think we will see this combo plenty. But I cannot see how both McCabe & Basabe are out of the starting lineup. One of them has to be in there. More than likely it will be both, if neither Gabe nor Woody can show that they need to be started...
One thing is for sure, we will see a lot of different lineups start. Only Marble, White & Gesell will start every game (assuming they do not get banged up, or have multiple bad performances).

I don't see the lineup changing much from opening game to the final game...the Center spot is the wild card at this point. If Gabe or Adam does excel during practice, then both McCabe and Basabe come off the bench. White is clearly better than those two and it isn't even close at this point. Basabe has the ability to be the guy to fit the starting line up if White significantly improves his ball handling and can move to the three then Oglesby goes to the bench, that would really surprise me.

Heck we all might be surprised and see a two-PG lineup with Gesell/Clemmons and then maybe McCabe at the Center spot. I just think the lineup that makes the most sense is one with a real Center on the floor, something that Iowa has lacked for a long time. Here is the thing with McCabe though, is he really a BIG starting PF or C? My answer is no and Basabe isn't really either when you break him down. Both however could be great off the bench to provide sparks. When both play hard Basabe provides more of what Iowa needs, given he blocks some shots and rebounds the way he is capable. I have always liked McCabe to be that sixth man as he can play multiple positions and can provide matchup issues in shorter periods of time. McCabe gets exploited on the defensive end when he has logged major minutes...(see his fouls per game).
I really like this roster and the "potential" that it has and that is a scary word, but very prevalent with this group given the youth that is expected to contribute.

When all is said and done, the best players in practice are going to play...the good news is Iowa has good players behind the ones that are going to start and not looking up and down the bench with a puzzled look and wondering if a walk-on can provide a spark...

I don't think Olesani is going to play much at all during this season.

Latest posts