Ezra Miller in Transfer Portal

I don't know. In today's day and age I can't imagine not getting a medical waiver for mental health issues. The mental health thing still has more of a stigma associated with it, so people try to avoid disclosing that.
But is that the official reason (mental health) they put pen to paper for at the school and then both parties agreed to publicly state a different reason for the kids sake and not wanting to publicly disclose mental health issues? Did Iowa ever publicly state anything other than "for medical reasons"? I am not sure they can or do.
I don't think Iowa ever did. Pretty sure it is always just "for medical reasons" when announced. Not sure they can state anything but that.
Miller's tweet explicitly says that Iowa knew it was a mental health issue and "worked with" him to say it was something else.

It was not due to back issues that I left the program, Iowa simply worked with me to make that the statement.

Whether it's true or not is up to you to decide, but there's no way to read that statement other than the university helping him lie about it. That statement is way too specific to be misspeaking, and the fact that he retracted it so soon after makes it obvious that someone from the U contacted him and wanted it quashed.

I asked an acquaintance of mine about the issue of mental health waivers (he is a coach at a D3 school in SW Minnesota), and he told me that a mental health waiver is way tougher to get because 1) it requires way more diagnosis (you have to see a bunch of mental health professional type people and get reports, diagnoses that agree, etc. and 2) You have to prove that it occurred at a finite time during the year. For instance if the kid had a documented history of depression or anxiety prior to this, or if it's something that came on outside the current season etc. it stands a greater chance of getting denied. It's not as easy to pinpoint as a guy who tears an ACL or gets mono.

My guess (which is my opinion so don't @ me) is that Iowa told him, "We'll go with the back injury thing to save some time and hassle getting this waiver, and then no one has to go through talking about your emotional problems," and then he naively spilled the beans on Twitter not knowing that he was potentially fucking himself and maybe Iowa football. Then someone from the U called him and said, "Holy shit, dude, you better hurry up and retract that statement because it ain't gonna be good for you or us if you don't."

I think if it was going to be a big deal it'd be on the sports news media already, hopefully the NCAA either doesn't see it or doesn't think it's worth their time.

That is an incredibly stupid rule that promotes student athletes putting their personal health at risk.
I agree, but like most rules it's rooted in preventing abuse.

You could game the system without that rule and if I had to guess that's probably why it got instituted in the first place.

Feels like that this was a thing where he shouldn't have tweeted out anything about it. Quietly put your name in the portal. Don't answer questions to anything you haven't been asked. Let the school do the talking. I get what he was doing. He was trying to say the coaches helped him and just wanted that to be public and say thanks for that. He coulda done that without getting specific... The NCAA and BIG have way bigger things to be focused on at the moment so I don't know how big of a thing this could be but it doesn't feel right. I don't care that they fibbed about things with him. It was done to help him and the school both. But when there's rules/laws about heath related stuff getting broken in regards to scholoarship $ being on the table that opens a pandoras box.

Miller's tweet explicitly says that Iowa knew it was a mental health issue and "worked with" him to say it was something else.

Whether it's true or not is up to you to decide, but there's no way to read that statement other than the university helping him lie about it. That statement is way too specific to be misspeaking, and the fact that he retracted it so soon after makes it obvious that someone from the U contacted him and wanted it quashed.

I asked an acquaintance of mine about the issue of mental health waivers (he is a coach at a D3 school in SW Minnesota), and he told me that a mental health waiver is way tougher to get because 1) it requires way more diagnosis (you have to see a bunch of mental health professional type people and get reports, diagnoses that agree, etc. and 2) You have to prove that it occurred at a finite time during the year. For instance if the kid had a documented history of depression or anxiety prior to this, or if it's something that came on outside the current season etc. it stands a greater chance of getting denied. It's not as easy to pinpoint as a guy who tears an ACL or gets mono.

My guess (which is my opinion so don't @ me) is that Iowa told him, "We'll go with the back injury thing to save some time and hassle getting this waiver, and then no one has to go through talking about your emotional problems," and then he naively spilled the beans on Twitter not knowing that he was potentially fucking himself and maybe Iowa football. Then someone from the U called him and said, "Holy shit, dude, you better hurry up and retract that statement because it ain't gonna be good for you or us if you don't."

I think if it was going to be a big deal it'd be on the sports news media already, hopefully the NCAA either doesn't see it or doesn't think it's worth their time.

I am just saying Iowa never stated anything like that officially. I bet the official paperwork submitted by Iowa states the real reason. If it looks bad they stated the kid could state whatever he wanted and not refute it so be it. He obviously did not want to state mental health issue openly at the time so he stated back problem and Iowa did not refute that. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with that.

Well crap. Sorry kid but I'm not rooting for ya anymore... JS... Easy to see why he's from NW Iowa. He's closer to there then he was Iowa City. Frost is desperate for talent and he clearly has that. If he stays healthy and develops he'll help them quite a bit I bet...

tenor.gif

Or just anywhere outside the Big Ten. I would have rooted my ass off for the kid.

I would have rooted for him at other Big Ten schools as well. I hate Nebraska more than any other football program, mostly because of the attitude of their fan base that lives in the 90s. Clown fans are just annoying, I don't know many Goofer or Badger fans, but Nebraska fans make my blood boil.

He is walking on, BTW.
He have any offers from others? As talented as he is I would think he'd have had some. I could see a lot of schools just being full coming into this season as well with nothing to offer but still. Seems like most places always have one in their pocket.

Latest posts