Ezra Miller in Transfer Portal

Not at all disagreeing, but what's the rule violation. Would they have reported the back injury when the applied for the medical hardship? Do we know that's what was reported? I'm guessing that the team and the NCAA can't release the medical condition.
Similar to how most of us here aren't lawyers or police officers, we can still make inferences that things are illegal without citing codes.

If a university told a player to say that he had a back injury instead of mental health issues because it would be more likely to result in a medical waiver being granted (benefiting both him and the university), I don't think I could convince myself that it wasn't in violation of the NCAA's administrative rules. It would be fraud and at that point to me it would be semantics as far as what particular rule it fell under.

I have to add the disclaimer that I'm not involved in the situation, but normally if something looks like shit, smells like shit, and tastes like shit, it's probably poop.

My inkling is that he didin't know he was supposed to keep his trap shut, tweeted about it, and then someone from the U got in touch with him and said, "WTF are you doing??? Delete that shit and make a statement."

Last edited:
Not at all disagreeing, but what's the rule violation. Would they have reported the back injury when the applied for the medical hardship? Do we know that's what was reported? I'm guessing that the team and the NCAA can't release the medical condition.
"Iowa worked with me to make that the public statement."

That's way too specific and way too damning of a statement to be "misspoken," imo.

Last edited:
I would imagine the kid got a call saying take that down. I am sure Iowa did work with him to present it the way it was presented, and that was the human thing to do, but if Iowa assisted in bending the rules to allow him to get a medical scholarship that benefited him and Iowa under NCAA rules, well, that could be a problem.

That all said, I assume he could have gotten a medical hardship with a mental health issue anyway, so what's the real harm?

If the statement was only to cover for the sensitive personal issues he was going through that’s one thing, not that big of a deal. If it was used for obtaining a formal release ruled on by a third party that would be something else, a bigger deal. I always thought it was the former. Twitter strikes again.

I have to tell you, I'm disappointed on a few levels. One, I thought he was a good player and would thrive at Iowa. Two, I had so many "Better than Erza" jokes lined up. All wasted.

Brave young man to speak out publicly. It makes sense to me that after his struggles, a complete change in his environments seems a wise choice. Darn. Wish he was a Hawkeye.

Brave young man to speak out publicly. It makes sense to me that after his struggles, a complete change in his environments seems a wise choice. Darn. Wish he was a Hawkeye.
You “ignore” so many posters here that your own posts sound completely off in left field. Keep up with the conversation, Francis.

If the statement was only to cover for the sensitive personal issues he was going through that’s one thing, not that big of a deal. If it was used for obtaining a formal release ruled on by a third party that would be something else, a bigger deal. I always thought it was the former. Twitter strikes again.
Twitter is cancerous.

There’s no delete. As soon as you post something, even for a split second, it’s permanently part of the public record. It’s an automatic court stenographer.

Twitter is cancerous.

There’s no delete. As soon as you post something, even for a split second, it’s permanently part of the public record. It’s an automatic court stenographer.
...and The Old Man knew it, right from the start.

Well pff… I had no idea about if he'd gotten on a medical scholarship/hardship deal since then. That sucks if he and the school have put themselves in a jam now. Well it'd be the school more so then him. Probably wouldn't affect him much. But yeah that phrasing and the way he worded things could not bode well... I'll be curious to see what Rob has to say.

The real question is what was reported to the NCAA. Just because they fed the media a story, it doesn't mean the fed the same story to the NCAA.
That's probably a key point.

Either way, I think the powers that be within the NCAA would be hard-pressed to make a big issue out of this. It wouldn't be a good look at all if they try to punish a program for helping a young man keep his emotional struggles private, and you can bet that they realize that. It's not always about the letter of the law. Intent matters.

My prediction is that nothing comes of this.

He never deleted the original Tweet, which I used in my story.

He went on the medical hardship scholarship this semester so he can not go back on a regular scholarship at Iowa that would allow him to play here. He has to move on if he wants to play. I think that rule should probably change.

Similar to how most of us here aren't lawyers or police officers, we can still make inferences that things are illegal without citing codes.

If a university told a player to say that he had a back injury instead of mental health issues because it would be more likely to result in a medical waiver being granted (benefiting both him and the university), I don't think I could convince myself that it wasn't in violation of the NCAA's administrative rules. It would be fraud and at that point to me it would be semantics as far as what particular rule it fell under.

I have to add the disclaimer that I'm not involved in the situation, but normally if something looks like shit, smells like shit, and tastes like shit, it's probably poop.

My inkling is that he didin't know he was supposed to keep his trap shut, tweeted about it, and then someone from the U got in touch with him and said, "WTF are you doing??? Delete that shit and make a statement."

I don't know. In today's day and age I can't imagine not getting a medical waiver for mental health issues. The mental health thing still has more of a stigma associated with it, so people try to avoid disclosing that.

"Iowa worked with me to make that the public statement."

That's way too specific and way too damning of a statement to be "misspoken," imo.

But is that the official reason (mental health) they put pen to paper for at the school and then both parties agreed to publicly state a different reason for the kids sake and not wanting to publicly disclose mental health issues? Did Iowa ever publicly state anything other than "for medical reasons"? I am not sure they can or do.

The real question is what was reported to the NCAA. Just because they fed the media a story, it doesn't mean the fed the same story to the NCAA.

I don't think Iowa ever did. Pretty sure it is always just "for medical reasons" when announced. Not sure they can state anything but that.

He went on the medical hardship scholarship this semester so he can not go back on a regular scholarship at Iowa that would allow him to play here. He has to move on if he wants to play. I think that rule should probably change.

What a awful decision for a young man to have to make. You can't stay at the school you love and given his visit history have a passion for, but nearly every FBS school in the region is a hated rival. Hard to imagine him wanting to "get away" given his support group is here.

That is an incredibly stupid rule that promotes student athletes putting their personal health at risk.

Latest posts