Explain to me how

TheIowaHawkGuy

Coming into this game all local media and national pundits were talking about the bad matchup for Iowa and many predicting Maryland would win.

Then when that happens their narrative shifts to “bad loss”, “Iowa is a fake”, “Cinderella story is over for Iowa”. It’s as if the national narrative and local narrative try so hard to knock Iowa down with any thing they can.

Although I do agree that this pretty much locks Iowa into the dreaded 7/10 or 8/9 NCAA matchup with no real opportunities for big wins remaining but bad losses. Also playing on Thursday in BTT.

Agree was a bad loss because it was a home game. Would have preferred they lose to OSU on road and beat MD at home if that makes sense. Gotta recover vs IU

Coming into this game all local media and national pundits were talking about the bad matchup for Iowa and many predicting Maryland would win.

Then when that happens their narrative shifts to “bad loss”, “Iowa is a fake”, “Cinderella story is over for Iowa”. It’s as if the national narrative and local narrative try so hard to knock Iowa down with any thing they can.

Although I do agree that this pretty much locks Iowa into the dreaded 7/10 or 8/9 NCAA matchup with no real opportunities for big wins remaining but bad losses. Also playing on Thursday in BTT.
I think it would take a few more losses to drop to the 7 line.

Not necessarily. Maryland still has to play Michigan, at home albeit, but they also play a trap game at Penn State. Penn State is playing really well right now and that will not be an easy matchup for them. For us, it comes down to the Wisconsin game. We need to beat Indiana, Rutgers and a free falling Nebraska, while OSU is tricky but definitely a winnable game for us. We are still in control of no worse than a 5 seed in the BTT. at 25-6, with a very good possibility of a 4. That puts us probably in as a 5 I would guess with an outside shot of a 4 depending on the BTT.

Cinderella Story??? What you even talking about or who is even sayiing that crap the reality is that Iowa squeak out 2 buzzer beaters against 2 Big Ten Bottom feeders. That don’t make any sense to me.

The reality is that we sit 20-6 but Iowa could easily be on a 3 game losing streak sitting 18-8 had those 2 last seconds shots don’t go down.

Cinderella Story??? What you even talking about or who is even sayiing that crap the reality is that Iowa squeak out 2 buzzer beaters against 2 Big Ten Bottom feeders. That don’t make any sense to me.

The reality is that we sit 20-6 but Iowa could easily be on a 3 game losing streak sitting 18-8 had those 2 last seconds shots don’t go down.

We could also be sitting at 21-5 if Maryland's last shot didn't go down or Iowa's did. I'm not sure why fans try so hard to "what if" wins away.

For the most part this doesnt matter all that much. First reason is that at the beginning of the season it was extremely optimistuc that we make it in the tournament. Right now, we are pretty much in barring some sort of massive catastrophe and even if we lose out we are probably still in.

Second is that we werent going to win the big ten regular season anyway, we were playing for the 4 seed and double bye. Sure, that would be nice but i am not going to lose sleep over it. If we are playing well we can win it from the 5 or 6 line.

So i am just enjoying these games for what they are. I hope we win of course but i feel relaxed knowing we are playing with house money, and, i think we are almost out of the woods of us being exposed as pretenders and mailing it in like we have seen in the past. Tonight, they shot great, we shot terrible especially Jbo and Wiesy, got down by 11 and fought back to make it a game. Remember we just played a very physical game saturday night in New Jersey as well.

If's and but's, etc.

It's not a terrible loss but it's not a good loss either. I mean a month ago we would have beat them by over 10 at home. It's the at home part that stinks about losing it. Their not a bad team they being MD. Their ranked for a reason too. It's still a game we should have won. Iowa played as bad as they've played offensively in the Fran era just about and still should have won... Last yr that offensive effort would have had us losing by 30 plus. So the sky hasn't fallen or anything yet. But we gotta get our act together. We haven't been playing good ball the last 2/3 weeks that's fair to say. If we want to have that respect we gotta get it together down the stretch here and make a run in the BIG tourney.

Not necessarily. Maryland still has to play Michigan, at home albeit, but they also play a trap game at Penn State. Penn State is playing really well right now and that will not be an easy matchup for them. For us, it comes down to the Wisconsin game. We need to beat Indiana, Rutgers and a free falling Nebraska, while OSU is tricky but definitely a winnable game for us. We are still in control of no worse than a 5 seed in the BTT. at 25-6, with a very good possibility of a 4. That puts us probably in as a 5 I would guess with an outside shot of a 4 depending on the BTT.
And MI has road games with MN, MD and MSU and a home game with MSU. If they lose 3 and we win out MD is likely 3rd at 15-5 with us getting the 4...win tiebreaker with MI or 3 way with MI and WI.

For the most part this doesnt matter all that much. First reason is that at the beginning of the season it was extremely optimistuc that we make it in the tournament. Right now, we are pretty much in barring some sort of massive catastrophe and even if we lose out we are probably still in.

Second is that we werent going to win the big ten regular season anyway, we were playing for the 4 seed and double bye. Sure, that would be nice but i am not going to lose sleep over it. If we are playing well we can win it from the 5 or 6 line.

So i am just enjoying these games for what they are. I hope we win of course but i feel relaxed knowing we are playing with house money, and, i think we are almost out of the woods of us being exposed as pretenders and mailing it in like we have seen in the past. Tonight, they shot great, we shot terrible especially Jbo and Wiesy, got down by 11 and fought back to make it a game. Remember we just played a very physical game saturday night in New Jersey as well.
There has never been a bigger difference between the four and the five or six seed in the BTT than in this year. And given our Thursday playing history on top of it? I badly wanted the four. Six teams, all dangerous and capable of havoc, would have been eliminated before we even laced up our sneakers. And if we had the fourtune of playing a team on their third game in three days that would have meant almost certain victory. Now our Thursday opponent is likely to be Penn State or Rutgers on a neutral floor and anything can happen.

In any scenario, our experience has been our calling card all season. And ability to hit clutch shots. One would think that would bode well for us in Chicago.

Latest posts