Expectations??

NightmanCometh

So there is clearly a lot of speculation as to who we all think are well-suited and available candidates. But what do we expect from the new staff record wise? How far do we expect to go in the postseason? Not just this year but in the future. What do we see as realistic goals for this new staff?

Assuming that we don't have any major defections(Fuller, Payne, May, Gatnes) and we are able to keep at least 3 of the 4 current commits on board, I would like to see a 15-16 win season and have 5-6 Big ten wins. I don't expect to make any postseason tournaments, but It would be nice to win a round or two in the BTT. If things went like stated for the first year I would expect to be in at least the NIT year 2, and for sure be in the dance by year 3. The future will also be dictated by how well recruiting goes, which I am extremely excited to hopefully see a pickup with the new staff.

I would just like to see us get better during the year and show progress. The program had gone down hill the last 3 years and the past two seasons the teams have looked as if they peaked midseason and were just playing out the schedule.

So there is clearly a lot of speculation as to who we all think are well-suited and available candidates. But what do we expect from the new staff record wise? How far do we expect to go in the postseason? Not just this year but in the future. What do we see as realistic goals for this new staff?

Assuming that we don't have any major defections(Fuller, Payne, May, Gatnes) and we are able to keep at least 3 of the 4 current commits on board, I would like to see a 15-16 win season and have 5-6 Big ten wins. I don't expect to make any postseason tournaments, but It would be nice to win a round or two in the BTT. If things went like stated for the first year I would expect to be in at least the NIT year 2, and for sure be in the dance by year 3. The future will also be dictated by how well recruiting goes, which I am extremely excited to hopefully see a pickup with the new staff.
In the short-term, I'm 100% with you. In the long-term, I refuse to lower my standards -- we discontinued Mr. Davis & hired Alford to improve upon Davis' NCAA tourney record. We unfortunately were stymied by setbacks instead.

I expect 5-6 years from now to be regular tournament contenders & hopefully have some more Sweet 16s, Elite 8s etc. over the next 10+

NCAA tourney 8 out of 10 years with a few sweet 16's and one run to the elite 8 or possibly a final four(each decade) is my expectation for the program...once we get it up and running again. Right now I would love to make the NIT in next year or two...And here come the replies about how we had this with Mr. Davis.

Give me a .500 team that plays hard and has some sort of cohesiveness/purpose/plan on offense, and I'll be happy.

My expectations will depend on how quickly the new coach can respond to our open scholly. If anyone departs, then maybe two.
If the new guy comes in and has two schollys open, and is connected around the juco world, I expect him to fill one or two of those schollys immediately with athletic perimeter guy or guys that change the character of our team somewhat.

That is my best case scenario. Then, with our returning guys,plus these additions, I think we can go at least 10-4 in the non-conference....and maybe go 7-11 or 8-10 in the league. Non-conference schedule will be a bit easier ...with UNI and ISU at home, and an easier Paradise Jam...I think if we get it rolling, we could win 10+ games in the non-conference. Losses at ACC Challenge, 1 in Virgin Isles,1 vs the instate teams...boom,11-3. In conference, tough league, but I see us beating Michigan,NW,IU,and maybe wisky at home. At Michigan,PSU,and IU on the road?
boom...7-11...18-14....win one in the BTT..19-15...CBI? Works for me.

Awwwww, come on! You don't like "Defensive Thrillers?" I'd like to break the 50-pt barrier too . . . in the first half.

The best defensive thriller was the 43-39 win over Michigan State a few years back. It was one of the best defensive wins I can recall. It's the 67-40 losses that are tough.

I miss the old days of scoring 50 points in one half as much as anyone. Not many teams do that in today's game because of the increase emphasis on the defensive side of the ball. It's harder for teams to play uptempo ball.

The best defensive thriller was the 43-39 win over Michigan State a few years back. It was one of the best defensive wins I can recall. It's the 67-40 losses that are tough.

I miss the old days of scoring 50 points in one half as much as anyone. Not many teams do that in today's game because of the increase emphasis on the defensive side of the ball. It's harder for teams to play uptempo ball.

That was an Ugly game against Mich. St! Our defense was solid, but Michigan State played terrible in that contest. They missed tons of wide open shots and great looks, they normally do not miss. Sad to think that that game was the highlight of the Lickliter era.

I'd like to break the 50-pt barrier too . . . in the first half.

That's not likely to happen with the currenty style of play in the Big Ten. Most Big Ten games are in the 20's or 30's at halftime, but I would at least like to see us have a team that regularly scores in the 70's and hits the 80's sometimes. Not a bunch of games in the 40's or 50's like we've been subject to the past three years.

My expectations for the immediate future (meaning next year) are to improve through the season, be competetive, and win somewhere in the teens for games, and show some promise for the future with solid recruiting. There won't be much focus on the record in year 1 of the coach's tenure.

I don't like to put specific requirements on post-season play these days (gun-shy I guess), but ideally I'd like to see the new coach get us to some sort of postseason tournament by year 2 or 3, and build from there.

Long term, I'd like to see us at least back to where we were under Mr. Davis, which means in the NCAA Tournament 2 out of 3 years or better, and winning a game or two most of the time. A first round loss is not forbidden. Bottom line is that eventually I want to see us as a regular NCAA participant again. I'm not asking for Final Fours, but a Sweet 16 here and there would be nice.

Sad to think that that game was the highlight of the Lickliter era.
Well, when the rest of the Lickliter Era is symbolized by:

1.1250355590.the-black-angel.jpg

Next year, I would like to win 18 games.

The year after I want to be in the tourney.

From that point forward, 20 wins per year, tournament every year (if they are expanding to 96 teams, there is no excuse to ever not be in there)

Run to the sweet 16 or beyond once every four years.

No Probation

Sold out arena

National TV coverage a couple times per year.

A .500 club for now long? Not more than a year I would think. Five or six years of .500 and the team has not gotten anywhere close to getting into the NIT or NCAA.

Based on how they ended the year, and that the new coach will more than likely be installing a new offensive system. I'm not expecting miracles next year, and neither should anyone else.

I think it depends upon the attitude and recruiting ability of the new staff. I agree that next year will only be marginally better than this year, it's too late to bring in an impact recruit . But I think there will be scholarships feed up for next year if the new coach is aggressive. We need more than 2 scholarships to turn this ship around- the current talent including the 4 coming in, is middle of the pack B10 at best.

I think it depends upon the attitude and recruiting ability of the new staff. I agree that next year will only be marginally better than this year, it's too late to bring in an impact recruit . But I think there will be scholarships feed up for next year if the new coach is aggressive. We need more than 2 scholarships to turn this ship around- the current talent including the 4 coming in, is middle of the pack B10 at best.
For next year only, middle of the pack Big 10 would be a satisfactory improvement.

I diidn't mean middle of pack next year- i meant when they had more experience; I said next year marginally better at best.

Latest posts