Expectations headed South

longtimer

To start year I think most on this board anticipated a competitive borderline Tournament team. We lost Jok a very fine streak shooter but not a great ball handler or defensive player from a team that played well at times last year. We add a couple of inside players who seemed to be well thought of and really even though we are young we have guys that have played quite a bit. In short competitive.
At his point (although it is early) I think most expect to lose Saturday to Penn State at home. If we do and then get thrashed at Indiana we are at the desperation/panic stage.
I read a lot of posts that said with Weiskamp and the younger McCaffrey coming into the program we would be a national type program. If we do continue to play like we have at the beginning of the year I think long range hopes and expectations are going to take a big hit. Wieskamp is undoubtedly a good player but I doubt he will be the difference.

When McCaffrey came we all liked his style of play especially compared to Lick. Unfortunately he doesnt seem to recruit to his style very well as we are really not an athletic fast up and down team talent wise. I think he tried to recruit some of those types of athletic players but unfortunately they didnt have division 1 basketball talent. I think Wagner who has stayed is a good example.

I have never thought McCaffrey to be a top notch "coach" who can get the most out of his talent. Not like maybe even a Ben Jackobsen who does it with similar and maybe less talent at UNI (not that I would advocate for him as a possible replacement).
I think that it is especially difficult with the kind of team he has put together. Just doesnt seem to fit his style of play

Bottom line for me is if we do finish at 500 or below a change needs to be made. My only hesitation is that any replacement would be hired by Barta and if I had my way I would start with him

Jok was the Big Ten's leading scorer and first team all conference. He was more than just a fine streaky shooter. I think people underestimated how much we would miss him. He took the pressure off a lot of our other players offensively.

There's zero chance Fran gets fired after this season. Zero.

Fran's current contract goes through the 2019-2020 season. That will also be Bohannon, Cook, Moss, Pemsl, and Kriener's senior year. What would be the point in firing him before that? If you fired him this year you would still have to pay Fran out his remaining contract, plus you would probably lose Wieskamp, you would definitely lose Patrick. So you'd bring in a new coach with all of Fran's players being Juniors and looking at a 2-year recruiting wasteland. It makes no sense at all.

IMO instead of all these threads about Fran getting fired, you're much better off adjusting your expectations and hoping for the best. Otherwise just take a 2 year break and check back in in 2020. Fran's not going anywhere until then

Jok was the Big Ten's leading scorer and first team all conference. He was more than just a fine streaky shooter. I think people underestimated how much we would miss him. He took the pressure off a lot of our other players offensively.
This^^. Longtimer's a troll. That's why the back handed swipe at Jok.

My expectations started dropping when watching the exhibition games and watching how horrible our perimeter defense was.

But, yeah, before the season started I was thinking NCAA tournament.

I'm in shock that Fran let CW walk and allowed this to happen. He's a former guard himself and HAD to know his teams shortcomings.

well, I don't think this team is gonna finish .500 or below, so no need to worry about a change according to your perimeters.

I also love how Iowa fans like to fire winning coaches. Not many schools do that in either sport. It's a recipe for disaster typically when it happens.

I also love how Iowa fans like to fire winning coaches. Not many schools do that in either sport. It's a recipe for disaster typically when it happens.

Yeah if every team fired their coach after a .600 or worse season there would be 200 basketball coaches fired every year.

Fran isn't going to get fired after this year but assuming he doesn't make the tournament this year that means he's had 2 or 3, depending on how you look at it, NCAA Tournament appearances in 8 years. That's not good.

IMO Iowa has the talent but lacks the development year to year you typically see in players at this level. It would be fun and yet very curious to me what a Tom Davis could do with this exact team..

well, I don't think this team is gonna finish .500 or below, so no need to worry about a change according to your perimeters.

Based on what I've been watching and having looked at the Iowa schedule, I honestly don't see how they finish above 500.

Agreed. Yet people insisted that Jok's presence was the reason the rest of the team was struggling - I remember posts about everyone standing around waiting for Jok to score, his poor defense, etc. and that we'd be better off once he was gone. Sure, he wasn't a perfect player but I think most would like to have his offense back.

Iowa fans always seem to turn on players that are carrying the team and label them "selfish ball-hogs" or whatever you want to call it. They did it with Jok. They did it with Devyn Marble. They did it with Luke Recker. They did it with Ricky Davis.

WHY? Guess Iowa fans don't like having go-to guys on the team. Then whine how we don't have enough talent when those types of players are gone. I don't understand it.

Iowa fans always seem to turn on players that are carrying the team and label them "selfish ball-hogs" or whatever you want to call it. They did it with Jok. They did it with Devyn Marble. They did it with Luke Recker. They did it with Ricky Davis.

WHY? Guess Iowa fans don't like having go-to guys on the team. Then whine how we don't have enough talent when those types of players are gone. I don't understand it.

I don't buy that at all. Iowa has had plenty of go to guys in it's history..

Based on what I've been watching and having looked at the Iowa schedule, I honestly don't see how they finish above 500.

They're barely over .500 now and that's with just ONE game so far against what is currently the RPI Top 100. That's right, that formidable VT team that blew us out is just #121.. Schedule gets tougher before long. I wouldn't bank on this team finishing with a winning record unless they improve pretty quickly.

Well, people sure do like to talk about how we'll be better off once a lot of those guys are gone, if the team is struggling. The ones I mentioned, anyway. All's well if the team is winning, of course.

It drives me nuts how people call go to guys ball hogs. In what world do they live in where scorers don't hunt shots? They are supposed to hunt shots.

Latest posts