Expectations going forward

As bad as Iowa shoots from the outside I would think the zone would be the way to defend Iowa. When teams go man to man the guards drop the ball inside where they draw contact and get to the line.

I see what you're saying but the guards seem to get more penetration against the zone which leads to more open shooters.

My expectations going forward are some head scratching disappointment littered with some head scratching successes.

I'd like to see some consistency... some consistently good performances preferably.
But I'm just not seeing anything consistent so far.

The guards have to play better in order for that to happen... but sometimes they don't do bad.
It's too hard to say at this point. It's a nice start with 2 conference wins.

I think I expect them to make the tournament ... but look at last year... they didn't "really" make it and it looked like they were going to be a top 4 seed halfway through the conference schedule.

I believe there are 3 main weaknesses of a 2-3 zone. They are the wings, the FT line, and behind the zone ie baseline. White burnt Ohio State several times working baseline behind their zone to go along with a decent 3 point shooting performance as a whole.

With how this team has struggled to consistently hit the 3 ball, I'd take my chances and play a zone most of the game if I were an opposing coach.

My expectations going forward are some head scratching disappointment littered with some head scratching successes.

I'd like to see some consistency... some consistently good performances preferably.

The guards have to play better in order for that to happen... but sometimes they don't do bad.
It's too hard to say at this point. It's a nice start with 2 conference wins.

I think I expect them to make the tournament ... but look at last year... they didn't "really" make it and it looked like they were going to be a top 4 seed halfway through the conference schedule.

There's just no such thing as consistency in college basketball.

I had counted the first 2 games as losses. So, it looks like they certainly could end up 10-8 with that schedule. I hope they do. Fran deserves a break.

I think Iowa wins one of the Wisconsin games. Iowa matches up against Wiscy very well and always plays them tough. However, I think Maryland beats Iowa pretty good in Iowa City which will be tough to watch.

I think 11-13 big ten wins is very realistic. Anything more than 13 would be a unbelievable success, anything less than 10 wins would be a large disappointment.

11 or more wins would be unbelievable success, IMHO.

I'm sticking with my prediction from last March...11-7. I think 7-1 at home and 4-4 on the road is doable the rest of the way. That's 13-5 but I'm subtracting 2 because I know I'm not objective.

Trying to be more objective I will say 6-2 at home...losing 2 out of MSU and the 3 teams currently ranked. I will go with 3-5 on the road...winning 3 out of Minnesota, Purdue, Michigan, Northwestern, Nebraska, Penn State and Indiana. We probably win at Northwestern and Penn State and pick up 1 more.

Also, I'm much higher on our guards than most. I don't worry about getting the ball up the court against a press. I think Clemmons, Gesell and Ogelsby play very good defense and Jok is improving with each game. I also have no doubt in my mind that all 4 of our guards will collectively shoot better moving forward...currently at their floor rather than their ceiling.

One final thought. Our non conference schedule was tougher this year. We are better prepared for conference play. We lost 4 non conference games but those games will (already have IMO) pay dividends in conference play.

Edit - It's going to be a dogfight again this year. Every team in the conference has played 3 or fewer games and only Iowa and Wisconsin are still undefeated...after 2 to 3 games per team. Crazy! I think any 12-6 team has a great chance at 2nd place and will definitely be getting the Wednesday/Thursday bye in the BTT.

No expectations. Just graduate and only have moped violations. McCabe was a rebel, bad boy. We fans are happy with being humiliated.

Haven't really changed expectations since posting this
http://hawkeyenation.com/forum/show...ks-a-tourny-team-or-not&p=1377067#post1377067

OSU & Nebby wins got me leaning toward the ceiling (18-13), another beatdown by the fightin' Izzos b!tch slaps me back toward reality (16-15). Right now, Hawks desparately need to beat Goofs or will be staring down the barrel of a 3-8 start in the B14 (and @ Purdue won't be a gimme).

Then again, it's a challenge to "expect" anything from such an unrealiable, unpredictible, inconsistent team. Add in the mental midget act and you sometimes wonder if they're just going to go fetal right there on the court.

Well this is right in-line with my expectations.
Last night was head scratching disappointment...
And no consistency. Consistency would have been playing well in the 2nd half and not just the first.

Ah well.... such is the Hawks.

Latest posts