Expectations for next year's Freshman class

nickhawk

Brust - Kid is a scorer - had a 50 point game this year already. I see him getting a lot of playing time and being counted on to contribute 7-10 points a game.

Larson - Physical presence - will help provide some inside punch - legit Big 10 body - I see him getting a lot of playing time as well - will be counted on for rebounding and physical presence.

Marble Jr. - Athletic, slasher, scorer. I think he will get plenty of minutes. Hopefully he is the type of player that can create his own shot and consistently hit an open jumper.

McCabe - Good shooter and has the size at 6-7 to shoot over other guards/small forwards, but I think he will need to add some muscle/bulk before he gets a lot of minutes. I definitely see him getting some minutes, but probably not as many as the other incoming freshman.

The pressure on this class is pretty big as I think the overall consensus is that next year has to show significant improvement in overall wins (at least 17 or 18 with an NIT bid at a minimum) for Lickliter to remain at Iowa.

Yeah, they are going to have to come in and provide some meaningful minutes, but next year Iowa will have a lot of upperclassmen, so the burden won't be so great on the incoming freshmen.

The two that I expect to see the most minutes will be Brust and Marble because I think that they will be used to relieve Cully at the point.

Larson and McCabe will have to fight for minutes against Cole, Fuller, Brommer, Cougill, Archie and to some extent May. So, I don't see those two getting as many minutes their freshman season unless they are playing some phenomenal basketball and jump the aforementioned player in the depth chart.

As I said in another post, what I like about the class, it gives the Hawks depth and the ability to change out like a hockey line shift...people who like to say "this style is boring" should be in for a scoring shock next year as Lick's "Butler Way" isn't designed to score in the 50s, it's been shackled into doing so because of depth and personel...that's going to change next year, with this class coming in.

Keep the faith for at least one more season...and even if Lick isn't around for it, for some reason (stepping down or let go) if the next coach can keep the recruits, I'm sticking with these same expectations of a much better season ahead.

My best guess as to the starting five at the beginning of next season is:

PG Payne
SG Gatens
SF May
PF Fuller
C Cole

By the start of conference play, I think it will be:

PG Payne
SG Gatens
SF May
PF Fuller
C Larson

I do think the freshmen will get significant minutes and will all challenge for starting roles. Gatens is really the only one I see as a lock. I'd prefer to see ten players get 20 minutes each, so they can go at 100% at all times and wear other teams' defenders down. Maybe then we won't fade in the second half as often as we have this season.

Latest posts