Expectations for Next Season (best and worst)

If we get the two transfer that are mentioned jw would be great to have come back but we will be quicker in the front and some slasher. I don't think we will not as inn shooting the threes. But better on defense. So yes I'm in for next year. Go hawkeyes

That lineup reflects Iowa’s best athletes at the moment and they are still a half step slower than the top three teams in the B1G — Michigan, Illinois, Ohio State — and a full step slower than the two teams in this year’s championship final.

Garza’s point production and rebounding hid a lot of Iowa’s flaws this years. We won’t have him next year along with Nunge and likely Weizy. I’m seeing 8th or 9th place finish in the conference and post-season NIT. Will be an interesting year for Fran.
You lose a once in a lifetime all American center, and your backup center behind him and the Pollyanna people come out and criticize you for an honest assessment of a bleak year ahead.

I know we will claim a miraculous defensive team will arise from the ashes of one of the worst defensive teams in the conference. We also believe in Santa Clause, the easter bunny, and tooth fairy too.

Tweeter your assessment is correct.

Too be fair though it is normal for fans to try to be optimistic for the year ahead even it it is totally unrealistic. Unless Fran brings in a really good BIG to help out with post play this could get really ugly. Imagine no Garza and no Nunge under the boards and our outside shooters are throwing up bricks......... OMG!!! But wait there’s that great Frantastic defense we are known for.

What will be interesting to watch will be who of the players on our roster may rise above the others if Bo and Joe W are gone.

There will be no title run next season, and it will take Fran to pull one out of his hat to even make the NCAA tourney. Do you suppose with the conference dismal showing in the NCAA tourney this year that they will be getting nine teams in again next season?

Superman better step forward through that portal wearing an Iowa uniform.

You lose a once in a lifetime all American center, and your backup center behind him and the Pollyanna people come out and criticize you for an honest assessment of a bleak year ahead.

I know we will claim a miraculous defensive team will arise from the ashes of one of the worst defensive teams in the conference. We also believe in Santa Clause, the easter bunny, and tooth fairy too.

Tweeter your assessment is correct.

Too be fair though it is normal for fans to try to be optimistic for the year ahead even it it is totally unrealistic. Unless Fran brings in a really good BIG to help out with post play this could get really ugly. Imagine no Garza and no Nunge under the boards and our outside shooters are throwing up bricks......... OMG!!! But wait there’s that great Frantastic defense we are known for.

What will be interesting to watch will be who of the players on our roster may rise above the others if Bo and Joe W are gone.

There will be no title run next season, and it will take Fran to pull one out of his hat to even make the NCAA tourney. Do you suppose with the conference dismal showing in the NCAA tourney this year that they will be getting nine teams in again next season?

Superman better step forward through that portal wearing an Iowa uniform.
If you're going to site Fran's history as a negative for defense, wouldn't it only be fair to also site his history as a positive for offense?

If you're going to site Fran's history as a negative for defense, wouldn't it only be fair to also site his history as a positive for offense?
Fair enough. My only concern is where is the offense going to come from next year? A lot of question marks especially if Joe W doesn’t come back. No Garza, no Nunge, no Bo (assist and outside shooting) and maybe no Joe W (OUCH!!! On the offense)

CJ looks good early to mid season but peters out from fatigue or injuries (the two may be related to each other).

Do I hope I am wrong? Of course. I would love to be wrong, but the main core of our offense will be gone.

Could someone explode onto the scene? Possibly but not likely. Even if one player does you will need someone else to step up big time. I am just pointing out that no one has shown any consistency to be that guy or those guys. I hope I am wrong.

Fair enough. My only concern is where is the offense going to come from next year? A lot of question marks especially if Joe W doesn’t come back. No Garza, no Nunge, no Bo (assist and outside shooting) and maybe no Joe W (OUCH!!! On the offense)

CJ looks good early to mid season but peters out from fatigue or injuries (the two may be related to each other).

Do I hope I am wrong? Of course. I would love to be wrong, but the main core of our offense will be gone.

Could someone explode onto the scene? Possibly but not likely. Even if one player does you will need someone else to step up big time. I am just pointing out that no one has shown any consistency to be that guy or those guys. I hope I am wrong.
The offense is going to come from coaching, just like every other year under Fran. How many other schools in the entire country would Garza put up good enough numbers to win national player of the year? Fran always has a good offense. That said, players obviously matter too and we are losing some great offensive players.

Everyone who is predicting doom and gloom seem to assume no JW or Robbins. Everyone with some optimism sees JW coming back and landing a transfer big. I haven't seen anyone assume we get those guys and we suck.

What we know for sure is coming back lacks a big and an alpha. Fran either plugs those holes or struggles to get above .500 next year. I kind of think we all actually agree more or less here.

Well Michigan and Illinois will pretty much have an entire new roster.
Illinois loses Dusunmu, Cockburn, and their other center Bresna-shitski or whatever his name is. I believe Mich. is a very young team next year, however, and will be a heavy favorite to win the conf.

I think Fran will just showcase and make another 1st team all conference type player next season cause that's kind of what he's done nearly every year. Why should I expect that to be different? Fran's proven he's going to produce high level players fairly regularly.

I think Fran will just showcase and make another 1st team all conference type player next season cause that's kind of what he's done nearly every year. Why should I expect that to be different? Fran's proven he's going to produce high level players fairly regularly.
JW is the obvious choice. Most see this potential in Keegan. My dark horse is a healthy CJ. If he’s healthy and hunts shots (with no team focus on feeding the POY) I think he’s poised for a big year. But he obviously has to be healthy.

I look forward to watching the youngsters show what they can do...Patrick, Keegan, Perkins, Ulis, Kris, the Brit and the 2 freshmen. These guys are young. So they could struggle. But I’m confident by the end of next season we will be very excited about the next 3 years.

I'm not sure how good or bad we'll be but it'll sure look a lot different. So subtracting Garza, Nunge, most likely JW, JBo and maybe even CM to baseball? Plus how much can CJ be counted on if his foot is going to be a chronic thing? I'm going to be on the cautious side of things.

Are JT Ulis, Perkins PM and Murray boys ready to carry the mail? I'm not sure if the freshman big guy that reclassified and JO can play all the big man mins or not but until/If we get a transfer or 2 they'll be asked to. Just a lot of questions without any definitive answers at this point.

I'm not sure how good or bad we'll be but it'll sure look a lot different. So subtracting Garza, Nunge, most likely JW, JBo and maybe even CM to baseball? Plus how much can CJ be counted on if his foot is going to be a chronic thing? I'm going to be on the cautious side of things.

Are JT Ulis, Perkins PM and Murray boys ready to carry the mail? I'm not sure if the freshman big guy that reclassified and JO can play all the big man mins or not but until/If we get a transfer or 2 they'll be asked to. Just a lot of questions without any definitive answers at this point.
I would hope we'd be a more balanced scoring team next year. If everyone can get 8-10 PPG and play better defense, there's no reason to be pessimistic. All the other teams in the league are losing great talent too!

The 16-17 team did alright with Jok and a bunch of freshmen. I’m well aware we don’t have a Jok next year...so no need for 100 of those comments.

But we have an experienced floor general in Connor. JT has 2 years of experience. Our (COVID) freshmen have actual BT game experience...Keegan, Patrick, Ulis and Perkins.

I’m optimistic about Kris. We have 2 true freshmen and will likely get veteran portal help. And our young nucleus has practiced and played together for a year and a half by opening game.

So now that I have a better sense of the roster my best case scenario is 4th or 5th in the conference. My worst case is 8th. There are several teams with extensive roster turnover and coaching changes that just won’t be as good as us.