Expansion: KU and KState sound off

chadfrey

From: Kansas State prepares for all conference scenarios | Kansas State Wildcats | Latest Kansas State University Wildcats News, Scores, Rankings, and other K-State Wildcats Information | Wichita Eagle

"If there is someone who doesn't want to be in our league anymore, there will be a whole line of people at the door begging to get into our league," [Kansas State athletic director John] Currie said. "I believe we'll be just fine."

From: Perkins: Kansas won't 'overreact' | Kansas Jayhawks | Latest University of Kansas Jayhawks News, Scores, Rankings, and other KU Jayhawks Information | Wichita Eagle

"A lot of people are very confused right now," [Kansas athletic director Lew]Perkins said. "If I wasn't in the business myself, I'd be very confused by it. You hear so many different things coming out. There's a panic mode going on right now. One thing I've tried to do as I'm out there talking to people is say 'Slow down. Don't panic.'

And finally, today's colum in The Wichita Eagle: KU fans would miss playing the hated Tigers | College football | Wichita Eagle

A lot of history between Mizzou and KU. Each grabbing a cool mil from an Arrowhead game is impressive.

Their ADs have their heads buried in the sand if they think nothing is going to happen in the next 24 months. Of course, they are probably just saying that to ease the minds of their alumni because they don't know What they are going to do. Those two schools are in limbo like the clowns but perhaps not quite as bad but they are totally dependent on Texas and the Texas schools.

The thinking that Arkansas will rejoin the Big 12 is wishful thinking. Kansas is screwed if the two schools have to go as a package. Even if the Big 12 can maintain with Colorado, Missouri, and Nebraska leaving, it has no markets of any magnitude left other than Texas (which is considerable) but is very localized for a football conference. The entire conference would be at the whim of Texas even more so than they are now. Any tv network would be the Texas network and no one would care outside of three states--Texas, Ok, and Kansas. What kind of a national draw would that be? I think even Texas would lose some of its national appeal.

(I forgot--the clowns would still be part wouldn't they but they would have a lot of travel costs. Most of their games would be in Texas and Oklahoma. They would have no border games, not that the games they had mattered anyway. Their travel costs would be considerable. They might have to drop out anyway).

Um, did Iowa just call out Kansas on the grounds of relevance? That is kinda funny.

A great quote by the late Lamar Hunt is, "If it weren't for the Chiefs, Kansas City would be Des Moines."

Guys, I have lived in every time zone. I would say that most of the rest of the country might put Iowa below Kansas on relevance just because of the Chiefs and Royals.

Um, did Iowa just call out Kansas on the grounds of relevance? That is kinda funny.

A great quote by the late Lamar Hunt is, "If it weren't for the Chiefs, Kansas City would be Des Moines."

Guys, I have lived in every time zone. I would say that most of the rest of the country might put Iowa below Kansas on relevance just because of the Chiefs and Royals.

Either you're loopy, or you think people outside of the midwest are really stupid. The rest of the country would rate Kansas over Iowa...because of two teams in Missouri?

Is there a more irrelevant state than Kansas? New Mexico maybe? South Carolina? Maine?

I think either of the Dakotas is more irrelevant than South Carolina. South Carolina's secession ignited the Civil War and South Carolina continues to be one of the first primary states in Presidential elections. I'd also throw Idaho in there before South Carolina, as well.

Kansas City is in Missouri.

Yeah, I have been there. But you guys have to realize that it is fly over land for most of the country. They see it as a border city with half in Kansas and half in Missouri. They also don't distinguish between Overland Park and KC.

Sorry to say, but the same could be said for Rock Island, Bettendorf, Davenport and Moline, except they have heard about Kansas' boarder town even if they are mistakenly thinking about Missouri's half.

Really, it is not because they are stupid, they just don't care.

As a proud Iowan now living on the Kansas side of the KC Metro, I take particular interest in this debate, and would posit that Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut and Rhode Island are all far more irrelevant, since half of the country likely can't correctly place them on the map in relation to one another.

I would also state that talk radio down here suggests that the Kansas schools are as jealous as a spurned girlfriend of Mizzou's likely golden ticket to bigger and better things, since the future of the Big 12 is legitimately in doubt.

["A lot of people are very confused right now," [Kansas athletic director Lew]Perkins said. "If I wasn't in the business myself, I'd be very confused by it. You hear so many different things coming out. There's a panic mode going on right now. One thing I've tried to do as I'm out there talking to people is say 'Slow down. Don't panic.'

dontpanicoldT1.jpg

Uh, Kansas dude, it's time to panic.

Abandoning the KU/MU rivalry seems both stupid and easily avoidable, even if MU gets invited to the Big Ten. MU/ILL would become a conference rivalry, making room in the Tigers' schedule for an OOC rivalry with KU. Are the Jayhawks' OOC matchups against the likes of Northern Colorado, UTEP, Duke, and Southern Miss, too important and lucrative to use a single OOC game to preserve the million-dollar Border War?

Heaven help KU if its leadership lets the MU rivalry disappear due to conference realignment. I suspect someone with power in Lawrence will have enough sense to keep the annual rivalry.

I think either of the Dakotas is more irrelevant than South Carolina. South Carolina's secession ignited the Civil War and South Carolina continues to be one of the first primary states in Presidential elections. I'd also throw Idaho in there before South Carolina, as well.

South Dakota=Mount Rushmore. South Carolina should be banned from even voting in elections.

Latest posts