Expansion = Ferentz Concern

With all of the talk about Big 10 expansion and given the scenario laid out by Jon & Steve with Texas joining, does this have an impact on KF's future at Iowa?

We all know he is more of an 'old school guy' and a purist. If Iowa gets stuck in a division with Texas, Texas A & M, & Mizzou, is this 'the straw' that pushes him to leave for the NFL?

I think its something we have to consider.....JMO.

I always thought KF would entertain the NFL for the challenge it presented.
What greater challenge than smacking around 1 of the 2 Big XII bullies every year?

I don't see where you draw the conclusion that he is a football purist regarding conferences etc. He's remained here for so long because he enjoys living and workin in Iowa City. No ammount of conference realignement is going to change that.

I don't see where you draw the conclusion that he is a football purist regarding conferences etc. He's remained here for so long because he enjoys living and workin in Iowa City. No ammount of conference realignement is going to change that.

+1

The conclusion the OP is trying to draw is a reach at best

if anything these teams joining would make kf work harder and he wants to be known as one of the best college coaches of all time...he is making his path just need that trophy

Ferentz won't consider leaving until after James graduates- even then I see it as a big reach.

Last edited:
The OP may have some merrit but only KF could answer that. Personaly, I would guess Duff has the correct answer on tis one.

I do however think that having a shot at Nebraska/ Texas each year would be a challenge that KF would rellish. Immagine getting Texas into Kinnick for a night game in late October with a shot at the NC on the line.

Feel free to kick me for that one, wow... long nite of drinking taking it's toll the next day. Yes, James... thanks Rodg12!

Over the past few years Iowa has had to contend with the fact that BOTH PSU and tOSU have been top 10 teams ... and yet that hasn't "scared" him off to the NFL early.

Thus, this just provides evidence of what Duff correctly pointed out ... Ferentz coaches at a place that he really enjoys. No realignment would change the fact that he still really cares deeply for the coaching staff who surrounds him ... nor the fact that he clearly really likes and appreciates Iowa and the community where he lives.

As for leaving for the NFL ... that is always something that Ferentz probably keeps tabs on. However, you also have to remember that Ferentz wouldn't jump unless the "right deal" came around. And considering the type of deal that Ferentz would be looking for ... such deals don't come around with much frequency. Considering that he didn't put his hat in the ring when his buddy got the job over at KC ... that really should tell us that it's going to take A LOT to pull Ferentz away from Iowa City.

The OP may have some merrit but only KF could answer that. Personaly, I would guess Duff has the correct answer on tis one.

I do however think that having a shot at Nebraska/ Texas each year would be a challenge that KF would rellish. Immagine getting Texas into Kinnick for a night game in late October with a shot at the NC on the line.

Screw October let's play them in late November!

Well the Browns job is more than likely to come open in the next couple of seasons, anyone else have any insight in to jobs that might be coming open that KF would any type of previous tie too? Chiefs, Raiders, Texans, Minny, these are the gigs that I see becoming open I'm sure I'm missing some. JAX probably.

Ferentz will retire at Iowa

This.

If Kirk was going to leave for the NFL, he'd have gone already. In the NFL you get hired to get fired. He has a job at Iowa that is his until he decides otherwise. He can't get job security like this anywhere else.

Latest posts