Expansion Candidates?

they aren't that far fetched. C. Michigan has proven in the past few years they can beat Big Ten schools, Memphis wouldn't be so bad, but I see them as a Big East replacement if they get raided. UNI and E Carolina I doubt. Kansas Rutgers Missou and Pitt I can see on there though

I'm not sure how UNI gets in this conversation. I would think there are a lot more schools that are a better fit.

they aren't that far fetched. C. Michigan has proven in the past few years they can beat Big Ten schools, Memphis wouldn't be so bad, but I see them as a Big East replacement if they get raided. UNI and E Carolina I doubt. Kansas Rutgers Missou and Pitt I can see on there though
You are kidding right? So central Michigan is like the blind squirrell who finds the occaisional nut. DO they even have enough sports programs to qualify? The big ten is exanding due to the network being successfull. THey are not basing on the fact that a team can occaisionally beat a bigger team. There would be virtually NO TV audience. Cripes could you imaging the tv ratings for Cetnral Mich vs. UNI?

You are kidding right? So central Michigan is like the blind squirrell who finds the occaisional nut. DO they even have enough sports programs to qualify? The big ten is exanding due to the network being successfull. THey are not basing on the fact that a team can occaisionally beat a bigger team. There would be virtually NO TV audience. Cripes could you imaging the tv ratings for Cetnral Mich vs. UNI?

hey i didn't pick the teams, i'm just posting the teams from the article. And you have to think like a university president, not a football fan. (for future reference)

Cincinatti
Temple
Buffalo
C. Michigan
W. Virginia
Northern Iowa
E. Carolina
Memphis

No way, no how, EVER. EVER!! In the case of the above, there is no debate; with the possible exception of Temple (whose athletic image is abysmal), NONE of the above schools even come close to having the academic profile necessarily for joining the Big Ten. NONE of them. This will not change soon.

Missouri
Kansas
Nebraska

The same is arguably true in the case of the Missouri, Kansas and Nebraska. The only real reason they're being considered is because they're not terrible academically and because of they're highly marketable.

Syracuse
Rutgers
UConn

Syracuse, Rutgers, and UConn all fit the academic profile, but they don't have much of a following outside of basketball. None of them are particularly great catches, either.

Pittsburgh

Pitt is the only one that's a decent complete package, but it adds no new television markets.

Someone should congratulate this guy for finally stumbling out of December 2009 and joining the rest of us. Ridiculous.

Pass the crack. If Central Michigan is added i will s*** in a hat

From the link provided - The Illinois rivalry is the biggest factor bringing Missouri to the forefront of the talks. A spread offense could be what the Big Ten needs, and the location is good as well.

An already existing rivavlry with one team, and a bottom dwelling team at that, will not play any part in the decision-making process. If that was truly the biggest factor for bringing Mizzou in, then Mizzou stays out. The blogger also says a spread offense might be what the Big Ten needs, leading me to believe he hasn't heard the news that Michigan has hired Rich Rod. And Mizzou is probably the most likely candidate on his list. If Central Michigan is addded, I'll wear busabus's hat.

hey i didn't pick the teams, i'm just posting the teams from the article. And you have to think like a university president, not a football fan. (for future reference)

Yes, but the expansion is being driven by football. They're not expanding for basketball or wrestling or the debate team. The league will only expand if it can generate more revenue by adding the 12th team. Since the 12th team will be getting an equal share of the revenues they'll need to at least bring a good amount of revenue potential to the table.

Ridiculous list of possibilities. Absurd!

But if the REAL list doesn't include Texas and ND, who the heck DOES it include? Not UNI, but who else?

I think Barry Alvarez is just playing with our minds. He keeps feeding us little nuggets of nothingness.

I think Barry is just overexcited about the expansion process because he and JoePa are the two biggest supporters for the longest time. He just wants to share something, anything, with people because he is excited and doesnt understand that it is a long, drawn out and carefully orchestrated process which is kept private for a reason, to not start rumors (like Pitt and Texas ones a few weeks ago where 'sources' said they were joining right away). He'll tone it down after a while. But I think that if there really ARE 15 teams on that list, SOME (if not a large chunk of them) have to be smaller out of the way schools. There just arent that many who would transfer from an equally large conference (with the exception of the Big XII north) to the big ten for kicks. I agree that the Boston Colleges, Rutgers, maybe even Memphis and Virginia Tech (examples, not my opinions of listees) might be types of schools that would consider it because no school from the SEC, Pac 10, or other mid or major conferences just to get a little more $ from tv deals. they have to take into account non-revenue teams' travel expenses, willingnes of fans to travel to certain locations, academic standards, and all sorts of things.

why dont we just snag Boise State if we are going to talk about C. Michigan and Temple..

if its about TV market how much bigger can you get than Boise Idaho? LOL

I think Tennessee is a real contender. Its not that far from most B10 schools. It would be closer to travel than Minnny or PSU are and not that different that their travel profile now in the SEC. Kentucky would be another. You can banter all you wish about the academic prowess of TN or KY compared to B10 schools but lets be realistic. How much better academically are MSU, OSU or IA for that matter than a TN or KY.

Latest posts