Expansion and Iowa BBall

CAARHawk

Banned
Conference expansion would most likely involve bringing in teams that would not be all that strong in basketball. It could result in helping Iowa in the long run.

Conference expansion would most likely involve bringing in teams that would not be all that strong in basketball. It could result in helping Iowa in the long run.

I'm not so sure about that. Nebraska is definitely not strong but ND would be going after the same kids and Mizzou just gets tons of talent there all of the time that Iowa doesn't even try to touch...Rutgers is pretty micro-regional so they wouldn't hurt too bad. Mizzou and ND have been 7 out of 10 years in tourney type teams so you can chalk those games up as most likely losses.

The expansion is all about ads for football viewers, and government research grants.

Oh yeah, and the Big 4x4 schools will play basketball, too.

Could not agree more Palpatine. The expansion is solely about money and nothing to do with conference competitiveness.

I don't think it is about conference competitiveness either. That being said, I still think swapping in games with Nebby, Missouri, and Rutgers makes things a little easier for Iowa than the current Big Ten slate.

Very true. If the expansion happens, say in 2013, and Fran has built a solid foundation and a conference contender back to IC, then it could easily could help Iowa in the win column. I have faith that Fran will get us to contend like in years past by then!

If expansion brings in Rutgers,Pitt,and any other Big East schools, that should help Fran,a philly guy, recruit those areas even more. He could go to 2011 recruit Coleman,out of Philly, and sell him that by his junior year, Iowa will be playing games in the area,and with the BTN his family can watch virtually every game.
For 2012 recruits and beyond, he can really sell it,as the BTN becomes standard in various cable systems.
I suspect that Barta considered Fran's eastern background as a big plus on his resume coming to Iowa...and suspected that is could pay off as the Big Ten becomes a force on the East Coast. Lets face it, this expansion is going to kill the Big East as a football conference, leaving as a bb only conference. That in turn hurts those athletic depts, big time...weakening their hold on east coast recruits. Ripe for the Franster to come calling...I like it.

Syracuse, Pitt, and ND are all what I would consider + basketball schools.

Agreed, but those are not the schools we are hearing about now. Seems like the Big Ten might be balking at City schools. Thought Pitt and Syracuse were serious options, but it seems like it might not be the case now.

Big East might turn into City school league Cincy, Syracuse, Pitt, Memphis, Louisville,

Heck, they could go East West and join Boise, Fresno, UNLV, UTEP,

I agree with all of this. Expansion will help Iowa in the win-loss column, but probably won't affect basketball recruiting very much.

I agree with all of this. Expansion will help Iowa in the win-loss column, but probably won't affect basketball recruiting very much.

Agreed, I don't think this helps recruiting too much. Any argument that Iowa can make about someone's parents watching them on TV from New York or Philly (prior post) can be said just as easily by Izzo or Ryan as by Fran. For Iowa basketball to get better recruits they will need to win.

Latest posts