Everyone needs to relax (Because it might be time to panic)

The issue for me is NOT this sEason, but the future on the D Line.

I mean seriously take a second to just ponder who is going to play D Line next year. It is one of the scariest propositions in recent Hawk history.
Very concerning, indeed.

I hear ya. I'm concerned there too. But in 2007 you could make a strong case that Iowa had the worst outside skill position (WR/CB) talent in the conference.

Since in 2008, Fletcher & Spievey are in the pros. Prater will be. Hyde is a good player. Lowery looks to have talent.

McNutt, DJK, & Davis are 3 of the more talented WRs to play at Iowa.

Point is, I think they will address the issues we saw yesterday on the practice field & on the recruiting trail.

I hear ya. I'm concerned there too. But in 2007 you could make a strong case that Iowa had the worst outside skill position (WR/CB) talent in the conference.

Since in 2008, Fletcher & Spievey are in the pros. Prater will be. Hyde is a good player. Lowery looks to have talent.

McNutt, DJK, & Davis are 3 of the more talented WRs to play at Iowa.

Point is, I think they will address the issues we saw yesterday on the practice field & on the recruiting trail.
Exactly and hopefully. We must develop our special teams, kickoff recovery is pitiful. Tackling is a serious issue, too many tackles were broken. How many times did we have Jantz trapped, only to see him break away for big gains and a first down. In the second OT they were faced with third and nine, they got it. That happened all day, especially in the second half. We must stop giving the lead away in the fourth quarter. That got old quickly last season.

Kirk is a master at rallying the troops and will do it again. This was simply one game and after all Nobody expected us to go undefeated this year. Remember Brad Banks' team that lost to ISU, we certainly recovered then. Hope springs eternal.

Last edited:
I think the talent is there on offense for Iowa to be very productive this and next season...but they are going to have to adjust some of their thinking because they will not have the ability to use a Top 10 defense as a 'backboard' safety net this year or next. Getting a Juco DT (or two) this offseason might be a necessity. I need to go look at the last several recruiting classes, but Iowa has seen a few DL not pan out, leave, or switch positions...its showing up.

I'm not sure I agree or disagree with the points of the original poster. I just want Iowa to be relevant in the football conversations on a national level. Losses like this don't get us talked about, don't get us prime time games, don't get us any focus. It happens every year, a bad loss and we're down with the mish mash of other irrelevants. In my opinion, that is what hurts the most.

But your takeing yourself out of the game before you even get to the stadium. Always play like its for everything. Jeez what coach did you have growing up.

And you think the players don't go out to win every game? Just because we don't expect them to do that as fans in a year where we have so many holes to fill doesn't mean that the team won't have higher expectations of themselves.

The last thee years were overall a fairly big underachievement.

09 was good, 08 lost a bunch of games that they had no business losing with 20+ future NFL players on that team, and 2010 was nothing more than a flat out failure on all fronts.

This season would be allot easier to swallow if Iowa had gotten it done when they had the players to do so the last three years.

What we have on the defensive line is baffling.

I remember walking out of Kinnick after the 2002 Iowa/ISU game asking my buddy if Iowa could win a B10 game that season because their pass defense was so bad.

Just like in 2002, Iowa still has a great game prep coaching staff. Yesterday's issues will be addressed and things will get better.

The coaching staffs' in-game decision making, play calling, clock management has always been average at best. There are concerns on that front. There always will be for me. But overall they have proven to be the best a program like Iowa can hope for.

This was a bad loss, no question about it. But really the ISU game is at best the 9th most important game in any given season. Nobody can make a legit case that this game means more than any conference game.

When Iowa starts losing conference games, then its time to panic. Not now, way too early.

Kinda my thought process as well. Get to the 3-1 at the all important bye week. As bad as that '07 team was they were still 4-4 in conference. I am still pretty confident this team can play at least .500 ball in conference.

Jon: I have been saying that about Iowa DL recruits for the last few years.

It is hard to comprehend, but Iowa has not had 1 guy who was listed as a recruited DT pan out in the entire KF tenure.

The list of guys who haven't panned out is impressive with Donovan and Fergusen two from last year.

The overall list includes Kittrell, Ettore, Johnson, Kanellis, Bain, Jackson, Hopkins, Covert.

They have been able to convert LB's, DE's and a TE. But NO DTs have stuck.

It is hard to comprehend, but Iowa has not had 1 guy who was listed as a recruited DT pan out in the entire KF tenure.

The list of guys who haven't panned out is impressive with Donovan and Fergusen two from last year.

The overall list includes Kittrell, Ettore, Johnson, Kanellis, Bain, Jackson, Hopkins, Covert.

They have been able to convert LB's, DE's and a TE. But NO DTs have stuck.

i dunno, maybe because D-lineman is probably the hardest position to recruit to, not just Iowa, but a lot of teams.

Those NFL ready made D-lineman you see floating around the SEC do not usually end up at Iowa. Iowa will probably always have to covert other position players to D-lineman.......continue to think outside the box in terms of finding D-lineman.

Husker fan fails to realize that it's not the fans who play the games, and they do take personal credit for Husker wins.

If this is true then why do hawk fans take losses so personally. You didnt do anything to influence the game. Its because your a fan and your passionate, husker fans arent any different. But great way to take the focus of your own problems and make cracks at other fan bases.

If this is true then why do hawk fans take losses so personally. You didnt do anything to influence the game. Its because your a fan and your passionate, husker fans arent any different. But great way to take the focus of your own problems and make cracks at other fan bases.
Buddy, you were the one that said fan's mindsets could have an effect on the game. Just pointing out your ridiculousness.

I would replace Northwestern with Penn St. How is Penn St on the rise as long as Joe Pa is still there? They burned all 3 of their timeouts in their first offensive series of the game? We think our staff has in-game issues. Unbelievable.

Plus, Dan Persa and backup Kain Colter are better than anything they have.

Ever hear of Collin Cole? Derrick Pickens?

But yesterday this team looked more like it was 2000 than 2008. This isn't an extravagantly young team. There is no reason for a DL with 3 senior starters to be so completely ineffective.

Add to this that traditional doormats have some renewed energy and Northwestern is never going to be a doormat again as long as Fitz is there. And that you now have Nebraska in your division.

Especially agree with the comment about 3 senior dlinemen ... These guys have seen the field before. We are not starting three red shirt freshmen ... These guys have been in the program ... They know the system ... They have been under Doyle's wing ... And yet they were absolutely no factor Saturday. I think that surprised me the most about the game.

Yes. Sorry, but recruiting sites only go back to 2002. Did Cole RS? If so, I would think it would make him an HF recruit. Also, don't know if he was actually recruited at DT or another position. Pickens was a good one. Looks like it might be prudent to go that JUCO route again here.

Okay, so I'll change my comment. No KF DT recruit in a decade has panned out. Is that better?

the recruiting that has been on the rise will tail off. This staff has not seized on the opportunities that they have had. The ultraconservativeness and unwillingness to adapt to the players they have, in the long run, is going to kill Iowa as a national program. Bielma, Fitzpatrick, and most other coaches take chances and act like they want to win games.

Like last season when we played Wisconsin...they go for a fake punt, they won the game, and ended up in the Rose Bowl. Our coaches couldn't even conceive of doing such a "dangerous" thing and thus, our defense was not ready for something like that. Teams like Michigan and Wisconsin, with their willingness to take chances will be going to BCS bowls in the future. Iowa will be relegated to third tier bowls as other teams take advantage of Iowa's weaknesses. Iowa on the other hand is not going to take advantage of another team's weakness...Iowa has one way to play and ONLY one way to play...pure weak vanilla. If Iowa played a team with strongest front four history of all time and that team had the weakest secondary of all time, and Iowa had the weakest offensive line we have ever had, our coaches would still try to continously run into the middle of that defense. Iowa would pound its head against the wall all game by trying to run the ball into that front four. Why? Because that is what Iowa does...they simply do not change or adapt. Wisconsin would pass all day long and rack up huge yards; Iowa would try to run all day and lose the game.

I think the talent is there on offense for Iowa to be very productive this and next season...but they are going to have to adjust some of their thinking because they will not have the ability to use a Top 10 defense as a 'backboard' safety net this year or next. Getting a Juco DT (or two) this offseason might be a necessity. I need to go look at the last several recruiting classes, but Iowa has seen a few DL not pan out, leave, or switch positions...its showing up.

Here in lay the problem. KF and staff have shown little ability to adjust their schemes or their thinking. The 2004 season was as much Drew Tate improvising, than it was an adjustment in scheme. The exception proves the rule, IMO.
If history tells us anything, its that KF and company will move further towards
conservative play, than away from it, when they have issues in execution.
And I cant remember the last time I saw such poor special teams play. 06' or 07' probably.
Thats why the effort from Saturdays game was so troubling. Special teams and defense looked awful. The O-line couldnt pass protect.

Latest posts