Every conference in the country's basketball record over the last 200 games

Please explain your claim that fans are polarized in regard to Fran. I have not seen any support for your statement. And, don’t bother to claim that weak attendance numbers are evidence. That factor has numerous causes, as you well know.

Fran has never connected with the Iowa fan base and we can debate why that is, but it would take Lute type success for the fan base to embrace him and that is never going to happen.

Fran has never connected with the Iowa fan base and we can debate why that is, but it would take Lute type success for the fan base to embrace him and that is never going to happen.
Double down when you have no logical argument. Yawn.

Double down when you have no logical argument. Yawn.
I’m not doubling down on anything. As I have stated many times before, I like Fran and I think he coaches an entertaining brand of basketball, but that doesn’t mean Beth Goetz should just rollover and give Fran an extension, just because he wants it. You can dwell in all this 1980’s nostalgia bullshit all you want, but there is a portion of this fan base, that will never embrace Fran, unless he does something unprecedent.

Iowa State basketball proves that most of this thread is total bullshit!!!

They have had much more success especially in March when it really matters to fans. This is unacceptable and never should happen that we are second fiddle to a joke of a clown town.

Run up against a team with as much offensive power as we have but who have a competent defense and we are screwed EVERY March.

Iowa is a wrestling school and a step down for football. Over twenty years since we won a Big Ten title in football. We will soon see how serious Beth really is about sports at Iowa.

Iowa State basketball proves that most of this thread is total bullshit!!!

They have had much more success especially in March when it really matters to fans. This is unacceptable and never should happen that we are second fiddle to a joke of a clown town.

Run up against a team with as much offensive power as we have but who have a competent defense and we are screwed EVERY March.
Iowa basketball doesn't have half the support and backing from it's administration or fan base as ISU. We also don't have the same NIL bank role for our program either. For this entire thread to be bullshit, it would have to be some sort of made up lie about Iowa but instead it's just stats given out on the internet.

Iowa is 3rd in the Big Ten in wins over the last 200 games
Iowa is 24th in the country in overall wins the last 10 years
Iowa is 20th in the country in the Power 6 in wins over the last 5 years
Iowa is 15th in wins over ranked teams over the last 10 years

historically, Iowa has not been very good at basketball, the last decade or so probably is one of it's best runs in school history when it comes to wins, wins against top programs, placing players into professional roles after school. I have a hard time giving Fran too much shit because he wins a ton at Iowa, no one cares, and one more game in March isn't going to mean shit...like who cares if you're not winning it all or a threat to win it all and March is when the season ends...having a good season and then a completely different roster the following year isn't going to drive fan interests.

Iowa basketball doesn't have half the support and backing from it's administration or fan base as ISU. We also don't have the same NIL bank role for our program either. For this entire thread to be bullshit, it would have to be some sort of made up lie about Iowa but instead it's just stats given out on the internet.

historically, Iowa has not been very good at basketball, the last decade or so probably is one of it's best runs in school history when it comes to wins, wins against top programs, placing players into professional roles after school. I have a hard time giving Fran too much shit because he wins a ton at Iowa, no one cares, and one more game in March isn't going to mean shit...like who cares if you're not winning it all or a threat to win it all and March is when the season ends...having a good season and then a completely different roster the following year isn't going to drive fan interests.

Yeah right.

I can hear the chant in Culver. “We’re number three!” “We’re number three.” “We’re number three!” Seriously???

No one remembers that stuff nor do they care about it. The fans that were around in 1980 still look back with pride and admiration to that special season’s run to a final four.

No one gives a crap about how many times between 1985 thru 2003 did we finish third or fourth in the conference. No one looks back with fond memories at that type of thing.

Put on your Iowa garb and go walk around some where out of state and as you are walking around a Walmart puff you chest out and tug on your shirt when you see other fans wearing their team logo and say “We finished third” or “We were in top twenty-five.” That may work being around BYU fans in Utah or being in a Walmart in Ames’s. Wait? Is there a Walmart in Ames? Is it out in the middle of a pasture somewhere?

There is nothing in Ames that should produce better March performances. The empty seats in Carver testify against what you are saying. The lack of performance in March has diminished fans enthusiasm for the program. Obviously there is much more enthusiasm for ISU basketball among their fans.

At the end of next season if we finish in the top ten of our conference are you be jumping up and down in your living room and then run outside and yell from the top of your lungs “We’re in the top ten of the Big!!!” “We’re in the top ten of the Big!!!”

Your neighbors and family will probably place some calls to emergency personnel.

Regards to the bullshit comment. It is bullshit that Clown town has had more to cheer about in March. We have a much higher fan base through out the US. Not even close. We have a wealthier University. The overall sports facilities at Iowa are far superior to Iowa State’s.

Now you could make the argument that our conference is far more superior and thus it’s more difficult to win enough games to get to the dance. That’s fair. However that comes back to bite you in the ass in March. That’s all that much more inexplainable of why we do our early exits in March.

ISU????????? Seriously??? I don’t know how old you are. I would guess between 28 and 35 years old? Your rationalization sound so much like ISU fans talking about their football back in the 70’s thru the 90’s.

I remember after one particular football game before Hayden got hired the Iowa football coach made the comment after one particular tough loss (and there were many) “We played harder!” “We hit harder!” Did that make him feel better making those comparisons?

There simply is no reason for the Iowa basketball program being less successful in March than Iowa State has been. We are better than that.

The Barn is rocking every basketball game for the Clones, always seems that Every seat is filled no matter
what their record is

The Hawkeye student body doesn't seem that interested in Men's basketball although the Womens
team,even before the Caitlin years, attracted the students

It is what it is and has always been so for quite a while

:cool:

The Barn is rocking every basketball game for the Clones, always seems that Every seat is filled no matter
what their record is

The Hawkeye student body doesn't seem that interested in Men's basketball although the Womens
team,even before the Caitlin years, attracted the students

It is what it is and has always been so for quite a while

:cool:

Back in the day Iowa had its own barn that could match the noise level of what Iowa state has now. I don’t know who designed Iowa’s new auditorium when it was built but why can I imagine the person was wearing red and gold.

Iowa’s old field house was deafening at times. When the crowd started to stop on those bleachers it definitely was intimidating.

The current facility just doesn’t seem as loud as the old field house.

Back in the day Iowa had its own barn that could match the noise level of what Iowa state has now. I don’t know who designed Iowa’s new auditorium when it was built but why can I imagine the person was wearing red and gold.

Iowa’s old field house was deafening at times. When the crowd started to stop on those bleachers it definitely was intimidating.

The current facility just doesn’t seem as loud as the old field house.

Bobby Knight Hated to play at Carver deep in the Winter with the Wind Chill around Minus Zero
blowing across unimpeded from the bitter Winter plains of IOWA

Went overboard describing the experience in one of his Biographies

Yeah right.

I can hear the chant in Culver. “We’re number three!” “We’re number three.” “We’re number three!” Seriously???

No one remembers that stuff nor do they care about it. The fans that were around in 1980 still look back with pride and admiration to that special season’s run to a final four.

No one gives a crap about how many times between 1985 thru 2003 did we finish third or fourth in the conference. No one looks back with fond memories at that type of thing.

Put on your Iowa garb and go walk around some where out of state and as you are walking around a Walmart puff you chest out and tug on your shirt when you see other fans wearing their team logo and say “We finished third” or “We were in top twenty-five.” That may work being around BYU fans in Utah or being in a Walmart in Ames’s. Wait? Is there a Walmart in Ames? Is it out in the middle of a pasture somewhere?

There is nothing in Ames that should produce better March performances. The empty seats in Carver testify against what you are saying. The lack of performance in March has diminished fans enthusiasm for the program. Obviously there is much more enthusiasm for ISU basketball among their fans.

At the end of next season if we finish in the top ten of our conference are you be jumping up and down in your living room and then run outside and yell from the top of your lungs “We’re in the top ten of the Big!!!” “We’re in the top ten of the Big!!!”

Your neighbors and family will probably place some calls to emergency personnel.

Regards to the bullshit comment. It is bullshit that Clown town has had more to cheer about in March. We have a much higher fan base through out the US. Not even close. We have a wealthier University. The overall sports facilities at Iowa are far superior to Iowa State’s.

Now you could make the argument that our conference is far more superior and thus it’s more difficult to win enough games to get to the dance. That’s fair. However that comes back to bite you in the ass in March. That’s all that much more inexplainable of why we do our early exits in March.

ISU????????? Seriously??? I don’t know how old you are. I would guess between 28 and 35 years old? Your rationalization sound so much like ISU fans talking about their football back in the 70’s thru the 90’s.

I remember after one particular football game before Hayden got hired the Iowa football coach made the comment after one particular tough loss (and there were many) “We played harder!” “We hit harder!” Did that make him feel better making those comparisons?

There simply is no reason for the Iowa basketball program being less successful in March than Iowa State has been. We are better than that.
ISU makes basketball a much higher priority than what Iowa does. They pay their coach more, they pay their players more and their fan base cares a lot more than Iowa's. Meaning they have more NIL money and backing and they pack their gym whether they are going to be good or not. Investment Iowa just doesn't have. I don't think it can even be argued at this point. I am 47, what you are touting above clearly shows how fucking old and out of touch you are with reality. No one is running around screaming excited about being #3 or that we're in the top half of the B1G...I am stating that Iowa has never been good at basketball except for a very small anomaly in the 80's. I am stating that it hasn't been this good for Iowa basketball in close to 30 years, try and enjoy it, it's likely to get worse then better just based off the history, what our school wants to invest and fan fare. Also, the school is highly competitive as it is, which bares itself out when you look at the overall body of work. So, stop trying to make it sound like Iowa is some cellar dweller of a program, Iowa is in the midst of a good run based just off the history of it's program and by it's peers.

Last edited:
ISU makes basketball a much higher priority than what Iowa does. They pay their coach more, they pay their players more and their fan base cares a lot more than Iowa's. Meaning they have more NIL money and backing and they pack their gym whether they are going to be good or not. Investment Iowa just doesn't have. I don't think it can even be argued at this point. I am 47, what you are touting above clearly shows how fucking old and out of touch you are with reality. No one is running around screaming excited about being #3 or that we're in the top half of the B1G...I am stating that Iowa has never been good at basketball except for a very small anomaly in the 80's. I am stating that it hasn't been this good for Iowa basketball in close to 30 years, try and enjoy it, it's likely to get worse then better just based off the history, what our school wants to invest and fan fare. Also, the school is highly competitive as it is, which bares itself out when you look at the overall body of work. So, stop trying to make it sound like Iowa is some cellar dweller of a program, Iowa is in the midst of a good run based just off the history of it's program and by it's peers.

First off, we have way more money to spend than Iowa State has had or ever will. So that’s nonsense.

Now if you want to argue that the University of Iowa just doesn’t want to put their money into the basketball program then you’re likely right. Why? Hell who knows why. Money is not the problem, never has been.

This brings me to another point. I am not calling for them to fire Fran. I am calling for the University of Iowa to help Fran out and to figure out a way to bring in the players Fran needs. First and foremost would be acquiring one or two all big ten point guards.

Pay to play. Now wealthier schools can compete against the elite basketball programs by offering more money to the best players.

In the movie “Field of Dreams” it states “If you build it they will come.”

What I am saying is “if you pay them enough they will come.” It’s the only way.

I personally believe there were shenanigans going on at Alabama when Saban first got to Alabama. Then after a tradition was established then the best players just wanted to go there to play for Alabama.

I think that once Fran breaks through the ice and gets an All Big Ten point guard or two then they will come. He just needs a little help. $$$$$$.

Soon Iowa will be getting over 100 million a year just from the BTN. Iowa can’t designate two million dollars to help Fran out to get one or two point guards?

What’s Iowa State getting from their conference? My understanding was that most of money was first going to Texas and then next to Oklahoma. I wonder how that works now with them being in the SEC?

Will the conference that ISU is in survive? Likely any of the schools in their conference That exhibits any credible success will be gobbled up by the Big Ten conference or the SEC and what happened to the PAC Ten will happen to that conference.

First off, we have way more money to spend than Iowa State has had or ever will. So that’s nonsense.

Now if you want to argue that the University of Iowa just doesn’t want to put their money into the basketball program then you’re likely right. Why? Hell who knows why. Money is not the problem, never has been.

This brings me to another point. I am not calling for them to fire Fran. I am calling for the University of Iowa to help Fran out and to figure out a way to bring in the players Fran needs. First and foremost would be acquiring one or two all big ten point guards.

Pay to play. Now wealthier schools can compete against the elite basketball programs by offering more money to the best players.

In the movie “Field of Dreams” it states “If you build it they will come.”

What I am saying is “if you pay them enough they will come.” It’s the only way.

I personally believe there were shenanigans going on at Alabama when Saban first got to Alabama. Then after a tradition was established then the best players just wanted to go there to play for Alabama.

I think that once Fran breaks through the ice and gets an All Big Ten point guard or two then they will come. He just needs a little help. $$$$$$.
Iowa makes more revenue and it's not close, but they aren't sharing that revenue to drive better athletic prowess. We're not talking about that, we're talking about what Fran has to work with and that's an administration and fan base that doesn't care about it. As it currently stands, and how it will stand for the next calendar year in college sports, is that NIL is how these players are being paid. It's been like that for a few years now. Iowa basketball has a bucket that's probably not even a third of what ISU has for recruiting. It's not even close and it's hard to tell if you're stuck in the 80's or if you've moved onto what the future will be with player revenue sharing but either way you're not based in what the world is right now and for the moment that's all that matters.

I don't know, what if Iowa had hired Butler's assistant coach Brad Stephens instead of Butler head coach Todd Lickliter. What if Iowa had hired Bruce Pearl as Tom Davis replacement?
What if Lute Olson had stayed as Iowa coach?
Sometimes all you need is the right coach.
I firmly believe Ralph Miller to OSU was the start of the decline of BB at Iowa.
Big loss.

Last edited:
Iowa makes more revenue and it's not close, but they aren't sharing that revenue to drive better athletic prowess. We're not talking about that, we're talking about what Fran has to work with and that's an administration and fan base that doesn't care about it. As it currently stands, and how it will stand for the next calendar year in college sports, is that NIL is how these players are being paid. It's been like that for a few years now. Iowa basketball has a bucket that's probably not even a third of what ISU has for recruiting. It's not even close and it's hard to tell if you're stuck in the 80's or if you've moved onto what the future will be with player revenue sharing but either way you're not based in what the world is right now and for the moment that's all that matters.
Actually, it isn't as far as we would like to think. Iowa's collective funding (NIL) last year was about $9.7 million; ISU's was $7.6 million. Also take into account that Iowa has 20 sports to support and ISU has 16.

Latest posts