ESPN's BPI metric favors Iowa this season

Makes sense, according to BPI criteria anyway.

We bring back most of the team, some of whom put up decent offensive numbers. We have a highly rated recruit coming in.

yeah, I get all that - but #19 in their rankings? I think ESPN needs to implement some common sense into their computer.

It's interesting and I'd like to see why Iowa ended up there, but also why ISU sits at #31.

It makes sense that Iowa would be that high.

· Quantity of experience on roster.

· Quality of that experience.

· Recruiting rankings for incoming freshmen, with an extra emphasis on five-stars.

· Coach's past performance.

That said, I think last season completely dumps on any kind of take away for Iowa fans. They were ranked 23rd in the same index last season and we know how that turned out.

I still think Ken Pom has more merit. And it's definitely led to spirited discussions on this board. The last two teams to have the distinction of being the highest ranked KenPom not to make the NCAA'S ended up winning the NIT (Penn State and TCU). In 2013 the two highest ranked KenPom teams not to get NCAA bids were Baylor and Iowa. They were the two teams to play for the NIT championship.

I found the person that developed the BPI software program.

tenor.gif

I still think Ken Pom has more merit. And it's definitely led to spirited discussions on this board. The last two teams to have the distinction of being the highest ranked KenPom not to make the NCAA'S ended up winning the NIT (Penn State and TCU). In 2013 the two highest ranked KenPom teams not to get NCAA bids were Baylor and Iowa. They were the two teams to play for the NIT championship.
You do realize the KenPom keeps adjusting throughout the tournament? Meaning that as those teams make deep runs in the NIT and continue to win games their KenPom improves. Point being those teams were not necassarily the highest ranked non tournament teams when the selection process took place.

You do realize the KenPom keeps adjusting throughout the tournament? Meaning that as those teams make deep runs in the NIT and continue to win games their KenPom improves. Point being those teams were not necassarily the highest ranked non tournament teams when the selection process took place.
In the eloquent words of the immortal Homer Simpson D'OH!

I went to KenPom and noticed where it states exactly what you said. Can I delete my post now?:) It actually makes me look pretty stupid to be honest!