ESPN's Basketball Power Index ( BPI )

H8IAST8

Iowa currently stands at 52nd and IN the dance with a 13 seed and playing in the First Four.

NCAA College Basketball BPI Rankings - ESPN

Other power rankings already exist, the most prominent being the RPI, Sagarin Ratings, Massey Ratings and Ken Pomeroy's ("Kenpom") ratings. All of these methods are based upon the outcomes of games, their location -- home/road/neutral -- and the quality of opponents. Each one basically puts these together in slightly different ways and arrives at slightly different results.

RPI, due to its simplicity, tends to be the biggest decision aid for the NCAA tournament committee, even though it doesn't account for the actual scores of games. Kenpom and our BPI system both account for the varying pace that teams can play, which is an important analytical component of evaluating basketball teams. But we believe the BPI is a little more refined than any other existing power ranking.

Is this looking at a snapshot of where things stand today or does it factor in remaining games?

How so?

I assume you are thinking of the NW St game but we were a mighty 3 seed

Ahhhhh....thanks for setting me straight!

A 13 seed would be the lowest Iowa would have been awarded in history, but hey, you can't win if you don't play.

Ahhhhh....thanks for setting me straight!

A 13 seed would be the lowest Iowa would have been awarded in history, but hey, you can't win if you don't play.

I didnt want you to spend the rest of your life thinking Alford only blew it as a 4 seed

No offense to the OP but I hate the rankings systems that ESPN has to make up. This and their "Total QBR" are idiotic and nobody outside of their company uses them.

Yes, ESPN does make up rankings...

No offense to the OP but I hate the rankings systems that ESPN has to make up. This and their "Total QBR" are idiotic and nobody outside of their company uses them.

to generate eyeballs to its Web properties, but in this case the BPI and the QBR are not throwaway meaningless rankings.

The BPI is authored by Dean Oliver, who is widely recognized as the father of modern basketball statistical analysis. His "Four Factors" were revolutionary in looking at how basketball is measured.

If you have a few minutes, read the story where the BPI is explained:

BPI -The College Basketball Power Index explained - ESPN

I won't take the time to reiterate everything that's in there, but stuff put out by Dean Oliver definitely is going to be looked at by the tournament committee. Will it be more important than RPI? Only the committee knows.

As to QBR, have you taken the time to learn what goes into the ranking? It takes into account the number of yards a QB rushes for, as well as penalizing the QB for sacks taken, among other things. It provides more context to a quarterback's performance. Same concept with the BPI.

Re: Yes, ESPN does make up rankings...

to generate eyeballs to its Web properties, but in this case the BPI and the QBR are not throwaway meaningless rankings.

The BPI is authored by Dean Oliver, who is widely recognized as the father of modern basketball statistical analysis. His "Four Factors" were revolutionary in looking at how basketball is measured.

I won't take the time to reiterate everything that's in there, but stuff put out by Dean Oliver definitely is going to be looked at by the tournament committee. Will it be more important than RPI? Only the committee knows.

As to QBR, have you taken the time to learn what goes into the ranking? It takes into account the number of yards a QB rushes for, as well as penalizing the QB for sacks taken, among other things. It provides more context to a quarterback's performance. Same concept with the BPI.

I understand why the rankings might be useful, but the thing is nobody outside of Bristol uses them.

Maybe they should because RPI is a joke of a way to evaluate teams. Would be much better with the simple eye test IMO.

Maybe they should because RPI is a joke of a way to evaluate teams. Would be much better with the simple eye test IMO.

They eye test?

Lets say there are up to 78 teams who you look at to make the tournament. How are you going to watch all the games that those teams play to decide who looks best to you.

so since UMD and UNC can't be playing eachother, we'd be playing one of them ... sounds good.

I'm sorry .. but in my mind if you play one of the 'play-in' games, then you're a 16/17 seed. You're not a 13 or 12.

GO HAWKS!!!

Latest posts