ESPN with big racial fail.

If he was trying a play on words, a headline using "Lin" would have been used, like everyone else is doing. I do believe it was an honest mistake to use a commonly used phrase to describe a situation that indicates Lin is not invincible and not a racial slur.

Sadly nobody can make mistakes anymore without their integrity being called into question and of course the person must be fired immediately.

ESPN might disagree with you.

ESPN Employee Fired Over 'Chink In the Armor' Headline

The writer has since said it was "unintentional," but here's the deal: if you're going to work at that level, you have to have the competence to immediately recognize that what you've just typed might be misconstrued or come out in an offensive way you had not intended. That's just the way it is.

Many years ago I dismissed a photo intern who took a photo of a farm girl using a hair dryer to dry her goat after washing it preparing for judging. The intern's cutline, which made it into the student paper, said the girl was giving the goat a "blo*-job." He insisted he had absolutely no idea there was a more suggestive connotation to the word. I found that difficult to believe; but even if he did not know, I was certain that termination would send a wise lesson about being certain of the meaning of words, especially those intended for public dissemination.

ESPN might disagree with you.

ESPN Employee Fired Over 'Chink In the Armor' Headline

The writer has since said it was "unintentional," but here's the deal: if you're going to work at that level, you have to have the competence to immediately recognize that what you've just typed might be misconstrued or come out in an offensive way you had not intended. That's just the way it is.

Firing the editor I understand. A headline is in writing, you can see it and review it before you post it, no excuse.

Suspending the anchor for 30 days for a passing comment is an insane politically-correct overreaction. More context here: Jeremy Lin headline slur was

This angers me. This kid guy did not deserve to be fired. I admit that I am not the most PC person there is, in fact I am one of the least. That said those that are "offended" are being overly sensitive. I don't know anyone who would be offended by the headline who wasn't looking to be offended and I know A LOT of Asians being that I have been in a relationship with someone of Asian decent going on seven years now. I have heard my Asian "relatives" use the term before, such as to describe a baby that was 1/2 white, 1/2 Asian as having "chinky" eyes. I've used the term before among them, it isn't a problem. When the word is used in context it is fine. In this case the writer wasn't even using the derogatory form.

Again I admit that I say offensive things all the time, make jokes all the time, am very non-PC but that doesn't make one racist. I feel those that are offended are the "true" racists because they can't see things for what they truly are, but would rather look for something to cry about and seek their pound of flesh. I read someone on here reference the quote "offense cannot be given, only taken" last week and it really stuck with me. As someone who has experienced "real" racism through the eyes of my significant other, the majority of the time the stuff you see like the OP refers to those who claim to be offended are in the wrong.

I've never understood how people are so sensitive over things complete strangers most of whom they'll never meet care about what they say or think. Callling me a racist/sexist/you name the derogatory term has never bothered me. They are just words either written or spoken. If going through your life you are constantly looking for it you'll drive yourself nuts. Worry about being the best person you can be and surround yourself with people that lift you up not hold you down. It sounds overly simplistic but I challenge you to try it. You'll find the people that try to hold you down will not get to you if you are in the right mindset.

This angers me. This kid guy did not deserve to be fired. I admit that I am not the most PC person there is, in fact I am one of the least. That said those that are "offended" are being overly sensitive. I don't know anyone who would be offended by the headline who wasn't looking to be offended and I know A LOT of Asians being that I have been in a relationship with someone of Asian decent going on seven years now. I have heard my Asian "relatives" use the term before, such as to describe a baby that was 1/2 white, 1/2 Asian as having "chinky" eyes. I've used the term before among them, it isn't a problem. When the word is used in context it is fine. In this case the writer wasn't even using the derogatory form.

Suppose ...................... no, never mind this is a total waste of my time.

There's no way that this was intentional, but at the same time, how does no one read that and immediately say, WTF?
agreed. I thought it was posted at 1:00am and taken down after 10mins. I hate espn as much as the next guy but I don't think it was intentional

Latest posts