ESPN picks Iowa to go 9-3

Eda

The prognosticators don't go as far as to predict the 3 losses; but I can't say I blame them. If you ask me, the games could go 20 different ways.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=bigten&id=104781

Oh, we play some close games...

"Key stat: Hawkeyes games are often close. Iowa has played in 19 games decided by three or fewer points in the past five seasons, and five games last year were decided by a single score. "

...Oh, we play some close games...

"Key stat: Hawkeyes games are often close. Iowa has played in 19 games decided by three or fewer points in the past five seasons, and five games last year were decided by a single score. "
As long as the Hawks are winning that would put them in the "most exciting team to watch" category in a lot of people's minds. Trading leads and winning in the last minute ranks very highly in that excitement category.

espn....gave us footage from 2012. Wtf?

"....for more iowa hawkeyes coverage keep it right here on ESPN". Ya right

Highlights the fact that Iowa has a returning starter...shows footage of James Vandenberg.

The prognosticators don't go as far as to predict the 3 losses; but I can't say I blame them. If you ask me, the games could go 20 different ways.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=bigten&id=104781

Oh, we play some close games...

I miss Hayden's thumping people 56-14 when we clearly were the better team. The backups also saw a lot of playing time late in the third quarter and the entire fourth quarters of those types of games. KF and Joe Pa two peas in the pod for low scoring games and conservative play calling. I remember a game played with Penn State back when Hayden was coach. It was late in the fourth quarter and we were at home. We are up by less than a touchdown and back inside of our own fifteen yard line with a third and six or close to something like that. We know if it was KF the ball would go to the running back but Hayden was a gambler which made the games so fun to watch. He calls for the big one LONG BOMB. The Iowa receiver catches it at about the fifty yard line with the defencive back in close pursuit. Both players were running out of gas and the Iowa receiver was zig zagging back and forth down the field so the defensive back could get a good shot on a tackle. That play sealed the game as Iowa beat a highly ranked Penn State team that day. The plays that Hayden called didn't always work but the defence was always unsure what to expect on every play and it also kept the fans on their toes too.

I miss Hayden's thumping people 56-14 when we clearly were the better team. The backups also saw a lot of playing time late in the third quarter and the entire fourth quarters of those types of games. KF and Joe Pa two peas in the pod for low scoring games and conservative play calling. I remember a game played with Penn State back when Hayden was coach. It was late in the fourth quarter and we were at home. We are up by less than a touchdown and back inside of our own fifteen yard line with a third and six or close to something like that. We know if it was KF the ball would go to the running back but Hayden was a gambler which made the games so fun to watch. He calls for the big one LONG BOMB. The Iowa receiver catches it at about the fifty yard line with the defencive back in close pursuit. Both players were running out of gas and the Iowa receiver was zig zagging back and forth down the field so the defensive back could get a good shot on a tackle. That play sealed the game as Iowa beat a highly ranked Penn State team that day. The plays that Hayden called didn't always work but the defence was always unsure what to expect on every play and it also kept the fans on their toes too.

Amen, brother. Amen.

I miss seeing lots of scoring as well. Seems that this offense is all about the game within the game.....that is get the first down.... some offenses are about getting the ball down field and letting the first downs take care of themselves. Even Sheriff's (sp?) interview was telling....he said, we want to run the ball over you, we want to run the ball on 2nd and 5 and get the first down. From an offensive lineman's stand point - I get it. But come on...lets not be myopic.

Wrong game. In 1983, we won at State College 42-34 against defending National Champ-but-severly-depleted-and-lost-to-woefull-Cincinnati Penn State. The "zig-zag" TD was Chuck Long to Dave Moritz in 1983. We LOST to Penn State in Kinnick in 1984. And BTW, KF was the OL coach for all three of those games.

Safe pick indeed. If I was duct-taped to a chair and forced to sign a document for my 401K, home etc... 9-3 is a pretty safe call.

We have the potential for more...but history is...well, history. KFz will lose 1 he shouldn't and 2 to good teams. Mark it down.

I hope we throttle other teams this years so that we can get some drinks and snacks and kick back and just enjoy watching the back ups do mop up duty instead of biting our nails while the opponent is only down by four points and driving the ball down our throats with less than three minutes left in the game.

Latest posts