ESPN owes advertisers $20 mil for low ratings

NYE just don't work... Too many people choose going out and partying... I bet Monday nights ratings will be pretty good. I'm not feeling too sorry for ESPN though...

I wonder if BTN has enough t.v. sets that would allow it to pick up a couple of bowl games and see how it goes? I was wondering if BTN would someday pick up a smaller conference games, say the AAC? It could be a way to increase advertising revenue and there are some nice markets there: Texas, FL and Carolina. I just think BTN wants to go nationwide, someday.

Next year the RB is not on Jan1 so maybe there will be an uptick. But yes ESPN can choke on a sausage for all I care.

NYE just don't work... Too many people choose going out and partying... I bet Monday nights ratings will be pretty good. I'm not feeling too sorry for ESPN though...

Yeah, that is a pretty hard sell to a girlfriend or wife, "Hey, lets stay home and watch 6 hours of football". Even if she is a sports fan or thinks New Years Eve is overrated it is still a hard sell.

Next year the RB is not on Jan1 so maybe there will be an uptick. But yes ESPN can choke on a sausage for all I care.

Next year New Years Eve falls on a Saturday I wonder if that will make a difference.

Last edited:
Let them all die to help make way for an Iowa Hawkeye Sports Network. Let's call it IHSN. Covering all hawkeye sports free of the national loudmouths, online only games, or all sec all day garbage. I would have it on all day long!

I wonder if BTN has enough t.v. sets that would allow it to pick up a couple of bowl games and see how it goes? I was wondering if BTN would someday pick up a smaller conference games, say the AAC? It could be a way to increase advertising revenue and there are some nice markets there: Texas, FL and Carolina. I just think BTN wants to go nationwide, someday.

I don't see "BTN (per se) doing that, but I COULD see FoxSports doing it and using some BTN folks on broadcasts, and maybe BTN studio shows having a small "spotlight" feature on those conferences (in addition to the B1G and Beyond show).

I can NOT see Delaney and the conference honchos allowing the BTN "brand" to be co-opted in any way.

I am not the sharpest tool in the shed so maybe I am missing something. ESPN paid a gazillion dollars for the rights. Wouldn't that trump a powerful Rose Bowl committee and their stubborness in sticking with tradition? You would think ESPN would have more of a say when these games are played.

Let them all die to help make way for an Iowa Hawkeye Sports Network. Let's call it IHSN. Covering all hawkeye sports free of the national loudmouths, online only games, or all sec all day garbage. I would have it on all day long!

They used to have the Iowa Television Network that covered Iowa basketball. Bob Hogue, then from KWWL did the play by play. It was a nice broadcast until Bill Bolster got involved and Learfield Sports took over. ITN made you feel like you were right at the game.

They used to have the Iowa Television Network that covered Iowa basketball. Bob Hogue, then from KWWL did the play by play. It was a nice broadcast until Bill Bolster got involved and Learfield Sports took over. ITN made you feel like you were right at the game.

I remember those days Sharm Sherman was the color analyst.......Bob Hogue's signature "Oh My" that he stole.....i mean borrowed from Dick Enberg.

I am not the sharpest tool in the shed so maybe I am missing something. ESPN paid a gazillion dollars for the rights. Wouldn't that trump a powerful Rose Bowl committee and their stubborness in sticking with tradition? You would think ESPN would have more of a say when these games are played.
For sure one would think so. My guess is that there are contractual reasons that have been signed and agreed to... Bet as soon as they can renegotiate that type of thing they will. ESPN isn't going to take that kind of hit again if they can help it. For one they don't want the egg on their face for two they've been a sinking ship lately. I think they found how far they can stretch that bubble they created and need to back off.

Maybe so but $20 mil is probably still chump-change to the mothership.

especially when paid with advertising credits. espn is struggling, yes, but just a symptom of the overall changing cable subscribership model - or - cord cutting model that is going on - which i am a part of for a few years now. i tired of directv and 'customer service' and the amount of money i was paying. so just decided to 'part ways' and see how it went - i do miss sports - but haven't died yet due to lack of watching them...

Latest posts