ESPN Gameday didn't come to Tucson because of Iowa

slimcat

Before you read this post, I'm not trying to flame. I'm just posting what I heard from my friend who is good friends with Arizona's Assistant AD who told him the news.

I guess ESPN wanted to pick the Iowa v. Arizona game as their Gameday location. In fact, many ESPN employees "in the know" were beginning to prep for Tucson. But Ferentz and Iowa's AD did not want to move the start of our game up to the 5:00 pm start time required by Gameday.

The supposed reasoning behind Iowa's stubbornness was because of the heat factor (101 at 5:00pm) that Ferentz's team would have to endure.

My friend doesn't make stuff up, so I have a good feeling it all went down like this.

I don't blame Ferentz for not wanting to move the game up 2 and a half hours, but come on, man up!

Iowa, you cost us our 2nd ESPN Gameday!

IF true that is a good decision... Sounds like something Kirk would do.

You will thank him later after the drubbing that there wasn't more attention on this game... but that is not a flame

I talked to someone who knows stuff and isn't a liar and his name is Sam. Sam told me that the reason Ferentz didn't want to do gameday for tomorrow is because he wanted to save it for Wiscy, Penn State, Ohio State. You know, one of our big games.

Frankly, I could care less about Gameday. I would rather have the coach feel like he's giving his team a better chance to actually win the game. Gameday is fun, no question about that but so is a win.:eek:

I talked to someone who knows stuff and isn't a liar and his name is Sam. Sam told me that the reason Ferentz didn't want to do gameday for tomorrow is because he wanted to save it for Wiscy, Penn State, Ohio State. You know, one of our big games.

I'm not a liar and I happen to know the real Sam and I can verify he said this. :)

Who cares about gameday. iowa has plenty of big home games that they can come to . KF isn't a dumby, why would he want his team playing in that heat...........all be it a dry heat. GO HAWKS!

Kirk could care less about Gameday being at an Iowa game....if we continue to win it will play itself out in the future anyway.

He sure as heck is not going to subject his players to 100 degree+ temps in a road game environment to hang out with Herbie for a few extra minutes.

Before you read this post, I'm not trying to flame. I'm just posting what I heard from my friend who is good friends with Arizona's Assistant AD who told him the news.

I guess ESPN wanted to pick the Iowa v. Arizona game as their Gameday location. In fact, many ESPN employees "in the know" were beginning to prep for Tucson. But Ferentz and Iowa's AD did not want to move the start of our game up to the 5:00 pm start time required by Gameday.

The supposed reasoning behind Iowa's stubbornness was because of the heat factor (101 at 5:00pm) that Ferentz's team would have to endure.

My friend doesn't make stuff up, so I have a good feeling it all went down like this.

I don't blame Ferentz for not wanting to move the game up 2 and a half hours, but come on, man up!

A Gameday appearance in Tucson does not improve Iowa's chances of winning the game.

Ferentz did the right thing by keeping the start time at 9:30 pm CDT. An earlier start likely decreases Iowa's chance to win the game (heat factor).

You do what you need to do to maximize your chances to win the game.

Frankly, I could care less about Gameday. I would rather have the coach feel like he's giving his team a better chance to actually win the game. Gameday is fun, no question about that but so is a win.:eek:
Yeah, this.

The heat thing again, huh? You've clearly never been to Iowa in mid-August. It's 100 degrees with humidity of 80-90%. 110 in AZ feels like about 80 in Iowa. We were running our two-a-days in heat and humidity that your mildcats can't even fathom. You do not live in reality.

No way you play that game during daylight hours. It would be a significant disadvantage.

What Iowa fans are starting to realize and Zona fans should as well, is that if you're comparing who has had more Gameday appearances, you've NOT yet arrived. No big deal. If your good, they'll cover you.

Big freakin' deal. I have espn gameday on tv2 (no sound) - I can't stomach any more SEC, Boice, Notre Dame, USC, blah blah blah. Let those talking heads blab about the elite teams in the nation and our Iowa Hawkeyes can continue to fly under the radar.

On a side note, anyone else think that Corso needs to go? The guy can't even put together a complete sentence anymore. Get him and Shannon Sharpe together and you got a whole lotta confusion!

Hey slimy, could you imagine the ******** on gocats if we would have made you play at 1100 central time last year..........that would have been 0900 az time......get real man and pull your head out of your ***.

Sounds like the Captain knows what he's doing. He could care less about the SECSPN propaganda wagon. It's not like Howard, Corso, Herbie, and Fowler would be playing the game for the Hawks. It sounds like he was just keeping up to what the agreement was.

And yet at his presser ferentz stated that he wanted the game to start at 11 but TV wouldnt allow it, as they wanted it as a late night game.

I think Arizona fans that are posting on here and ESPN are a bad representation of the entire group. These are obviously the "overboard" fans who think that by being message board mavens their team will somehow become hip.
Most Iowa fans have realized that rankings, media, gamedays, etc don't truly matter because if you are good... this will materialize. Arizona fans crying about Gameday, media attention, and believing because they beat two teams any good team would beat that they should be the #1 team in the nation ala Iowa State fans thinking they were #30!
If Iowa wins, they will stay rated where they are as they are considered not that good and quite honestly, I and most other Hawkeye fans won't care. Like great fighter pilots we have learned that flying under the radar is actually a good thing!

Arizona would get a huge boost by beating the Hawkeyes because to the voters that would show they are a legitimate team. Odd because Arizona would gain legitmacy by beating Iowa, but most don't consider Iowa legitimate ever, even after the Hawkeyes clobber them insanely. Iowa State is "so proud" to have scored a TD and feels they could win a rematch! NO RESPECT... and DON'T expect any, ever. This is Iowa... pay no attention to us... please!

Latest posts