ESPN Front Page: "Ricky Stanzi may trump Cam Newton"

PasadenaDreams

Wow...I can't read it all because it's an insider story, but here is what it shows:

Originally Published: November 17, 2010

Ricky Stanzi may trump Cam Newton

Three-loss Hawkeyes QB is ahead of Heisman front-runner in many respects

By KC Joyner
ESPN Insider

One of the big differences between the NFL and college football is that those who cover the NFL are much more forgiving of team performance when judging players for postseason awards.

For example, in last week's edition of the Mike Sando MVP Watch (a weekly must-read), Philip Rivers ranked second despite playing on a team with a 4-5 record. Many NFL pundits are in concurrence with Sando on Rivers being possibly the best player in the league, so it a true measurement of the media pulse in this matter.

Contrast that to the case of Iowa Hawkeyes quarterback Ricky Stanzi. The Heisman Predictor, an excellent tool created by Ryan McCrystal of ESPN's Stats and Information department, uses historical statistics and voting trends to determine how likely a player is to receive Heisman Trophy consideration.

Going into last week's contest against the Northwestern Wildcats, Stanzi was rated fourth in the Predictor. After the Wildcats upset the Hawkeyes, thus giving Iowa its third loss of the season and all but assuring it cannot win the Big Ten, Stanzi dropped out of the Predictor's top 10.

That really is a shame, because after breaking down game tapes and reviewing Stanzi's metrics, it is clear he can make a strong case as being the best passer in college football.

Ricky had his Heisman moment chance late vs NW. The team didn't execute. That's where Heisman's are won, late year games with great stats leading up to those opportunities, and then taking advantage of them.

Ricky had his Heisman moment chance late vs NW. The team didn't execute. That's where Heisman's are won, late year games with great stats leading up to those opportunities, and then taking advantage of them.

Is it safe to say that one pass cost him the Heisman(Or atleast an invite)? That being the INT last week when McNutt was wide open underneath?

Agreed.

He's actually had 3 chances, but hey, who needs a two minute drill?

If you think about it, all the AQ schools ranked ahead of us in the pre-season poll fell from their spots. Oregon was right behind us. It's not hard to imagine that an unranked Iowa team would currently be #1 or #2 in the country.

Had the season gone 'according to plan', and had we been undefeated going into this week, Stanzi would be a front-runner for the Heisman. While he's cut down on his INTs, he realistically could only be sitting at one or two. The Arizona pick wasn't really his fault, but he's also had two arm punts and that strange pick against Indiana. He also had a perfect opportunity to tear apart Indiana and jNW, and pad his stats. But, in the end, the whole team came up short. We are where we are, and we'll have to live with it.

Exactly. I buddy at the game said there was an open receiver on every play that final drive. Stanzi didn't throw to any of them...

That's one more dimension to this season that has crushed my spirit.

The Wisconsin and Northwestern games were tailor made for last minute Stanzi moments. I'm not placing the blame at his feet. But not only would we be in first place if Ricky could have pulled off some magic, he would have been on the extremely short list for the Heisman.

Much like Chuck Long's bootleg against Michigan State and last minute drive against Michigan in '85, Ricky would have had his signature moments along with the stats and overall team record.

I don't want to talk about this anymore.

It is depressing to think about this. If we're undefeated, given the scandal around Newton, Stanzi could very easily have been the front-runner, and could seal it this weekend with a win over OSU.

That said, things didn't go according to plan. Things rarely do. General Eisenhower said about D-Day: "The plan is nothing. The PLANNING is everything." What he meant by that, is that with all of the training and preparation for D-Day, officers and troops would be able to instinctively improvise when s*it hit the fan, be able to adjust when the original plan goes out the window.

We're about to see how well prepared this team was. Can they pick themselves up off the canvas?

NW, WI, AZ - pull out last minute heroics we have seen him capable of in 2/3 of those and he might be in business.

Little off topic here but with a good Senior bowl and if he puts up decent numbers at the combine I think Stanzi can work his way into the 2nd tier of quarterbacks(Dalton, Ponders, Moore) which mean rounds 3-5 in the draft.

I think Iowa will win Saturday......then we are all going to be doing the "what ifs".

if we were undefeated i know believe he would of won it

buttttttt would of could of should of just like every other year for the hawkeyes

Latest posts