ESPN draft coverage comment on Tony

iahawk20

Tony Moeaki TE Iowa

What he brings: Moeaki is an intriguing prospect; he's a very savvy and sure-handed receiving target. He needs major refining in his overall run blocking, but he has the toughness and athleticism to provide an immediate impact in the passing game.
How he fits: Moeaki will provide the Chiefs with more receiving options than with the team?s current tight end corps. Leonard Pope will be the starter, Brad Cottam will serve as the second tight end in a blocking role with Moeaki entering as the third.

Major refining? Hmm....that one does not make sense.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/rounds/_/round/3/year/2010

I'd be shocked if this is true coming from a Kirk Ferentz coached team. From most accounts Moeaki was an even better run blocker than receiver.

According to kcchiefs.com, the Griefs are very excited about Tony Mo. As a Griefs fan, I am very excited to get tight end from what is becoming TE University!

Right, I'm sure that it'd be impossible for guys who have to keep track of hundreds of players over a short period of time to accidentally mix one up or forget something about one.

The only way I can spin this is that there may be some major differences in the blocking used in the pros as opposed to college? outside of the fact that you are facing the best of the best every down of every game.

Or they could really think it. Or they saw Herman on the 2 minutes of tape the evuluated and assumed it was Tony. These things can happen pretty easily. I doubt that something like that came out of McShay's mouth but if it did than I lost a ton of respect for him.

I saw that on ESPN last night. I even pointed it out to my wife because I was so shocked about it. I don't know where they came up with it. Everything I had ever heard was that he was an excellent blocking tight end.
The other thing they didn't even mention are his injury concerns, so I don't think their evaluation on Moeaki was a very good one.

I saw that on ESPN last night. I even pointed it out to my wife because I was so shocked about it. I don't know where they came up with it. Everything I had ever heard was that he was an excellent blocking tight end.
The other thing they didn't even mention are his injury concerns, so I don't think their evaluation on Moeaki was a very good one.

They did talk about his injuries. They didn't really go into specifics on them, but I believe Kiper said that he could have been a high-second round pick had he not had those issues.

I'll reiterate this from a Griefs fan perspective: I don't give two ***** about Mel and his take on players. What I care about is the thoughts of Scott Pioli - and watching his day two draft press conference on the Griefs website, he said Tony Mo was a player "we would have been disappointed not to get." He spoke about Tony Mo's performance in the Orange Bowl, and that Tony Mo did a nice job of blocking one of the better defensive players in the nation and in this week's draft, along with catching the ball. Pioli sees Tony Mo. as a complete TE. Chiefs nation is hoping for the next Tony G -we love our TEs in Kansas City.

Kansas City is excited.

Blocking a College player now blocking the best players in the country playing in the NFL, I would say that might be different. Tony did block well at Iowa, without question. Taking that to the next level. Only time will tell.

I think the reason Calloway is slipping today is that teams are viewing him stricty as a guard. When people were asking why Tony disappeared in the middle of the season it was because he was pass blocking. He is able to block athletic edge rushers one on one consistently. That is why I laughed at the scouting reports that said he wasn't a good blocker. He is the best pass blocking tight end in this draft for sure, and in the top 3, if not the best run blocker.

The only way I can spin this is that there may be some major differences in the blocking used in the pros as opposed to college? outside of the fact that you are facing the best of the best every down of every game.

Tell me which player in today's draft this statement wouldn't apply to......

Am I missing something...are there players in the draft who have already played professionally? Keep in mind that just being paid to play against amateurs doesn't make you a professional.

I know a guy who covers the NFL for a living, and is a former NFL starter, and an ex Hawk, and he told me that Moeaki is the "best blocking Tight End in the draft". Nuff said!

I think that Tony is a natural fit for the Cheifs and is going to be seriously contending for playing time. I think if given the opportunity, he could very well be their starter in a year or 2 barring injury.

I really hope Tony can show what he can do when healthy.

I just rewatched the OB, and would have to say that Moeaki was reason #1 why Derrick Morgan (16th overall pick) was such a non-factor in that game. ESPN clearly whiffed on this one. Doesn't matter. The Chiefs know who they got. I think Tony can make an impact right away.

Put it this way, Tony is a better blocker today than Dallas Clark is.

This will not hold Tony back....just as it hasnt hurt Clark!

I will say this, if Tony stays healthy he has a chance to be a pro bowl Tight End. Concerns about his run blocking????? Seriously?

They really should watch the tape before making analysis like that.