ESPN Article on Rudock

And he has had an entire offseason, spring ball and fall camp to get more acclimated to the offense since last season. There are way too many variables to just sit here and say that Rudock would have played as well last year as a freshman as he is right now.

Section, this isn't what I said. But experience last year could have given him a starting point much further along than where he was at in game one this season.

No, I'm sure there still would have been plenty of losses, Dave, but maybe they would have won 1 or 2 more, ya know, since so many games were "so close" (as you guys like to argue so frequently in your apologies)?

A heady awareness to scramble, rather than curl up in a fetal position to take the sack ... Stepping up in the pocket and scanning the field, rather than locking in and still throwing it off target ... maybe those skills could have made a difference in a couple of those close games?

How 'bout this ... maybe some meaningful game experience, when there was absolutely nothing to lose and you had already decided to flush the season like it was as pointless and futile as a 2-minute drill at the end of half, could have helped teach him to avoid some of the throws that led to the NIU loss this year?

Nah, who am I kidding?! Ludicrous to even consider Rudock was competent enough to lose better than JVB, let alone that any live experience might have benefited him. After, all, look how well he's playing, now. That losing experience and stuff last year would have been beneath him -- probably detracted from his development.

Hey, thanks for the typical response, though.

So much laffy. Keep it up, this stuff rivals the best stuff you can see on Comedy Channel...

I agree 100% with Jon's stance on not playing Rudock last year. Its obvious the offense was a train wreck so why throw a RS freshman in there and take a chance of completely killing any confidence he may have.

And if you really think KF was "flushing the season" last year then Im not sure what to tell you. Its absurd to think any coach at this level would even consider doing that. You have seniors who invested 4 or 5 years of their lives into the program and we have people who think the coach wanted to just **** away their last games.

I agree with your post, for the most part. I think you could argue that NOT playing him could've hurt his confidence. I know I would've been sitting there on the bench thinking to myself "Why in the hell am I not even getting garbage minutes? All I need to do is go out there and hand the ball off." So I don't buy the "it would've killed his confidence" argument at all. Just handing the ball off isn't going to be a confidence killer.

I do agree that there is no way that Kirk was "flushing the season". His own son was a senior on the team.

Please elaborate.

KF flushing the season, the assumption Jake was ready last season, the idea that it was NOT better for Jake to observe rather than be the guinea pig for a new system, etc., etc.

I can think of a ton of reasons he SHOULD have played last season. I can think of just as many why he should NOT have played last season.

To lay it all at the feet of "KF is incompetent" is just too good to ignore. It's the tin-foil-hat-meets-the-bloody-accident-scene-you-can't-turn-away-from stuff of dreams.

Section, this isn't what I said. But experience last year could have given him a starting point much further along than where he was at in game one this season.

Oh so do you think Blythe should have played in front of James Ferentz last year towards the end of the year too? I mean that experience could have done wonders for him this year.

How about Keenan Davis? Do you think Hillyer should have gotten his reps in order to have a starting point that is further along than he currently is?

Oh so do you think Blythe should have played in front of James Ferentz last year towards the end of the year too? I mean that experience could have done wonders for him this year.

How about Keenan Davis? Do you think Hillyer should have gotten his reps in order to have a starting point that is further along than he currently is?

Section, I didn't say that either. Rudock is the only player that was a backup on on the 2 deeps last season that didn't get a single game rep. To me, he has shown obvious talent this season that makes it seem very unlikely he was a scared deer in the headlights and needed the protection of the sidelines and not get in one play, last season. Some experience, helps all players. That is why all other positions had backup's getting reps last season. Can you think of a position last season that didn't have backups getting at least some reps last season?

And again, "You just never know until you get into games,” Ferentz said. “To be a successful quarterback, it sure does help to have an awareness and self-control, if you will. And so far, so good. He's really done a great job with that.”

At minimum, based on this quote, Ferentz was willing to start this season with absolutely no evidence of how Rudock would react, in game, until game one this season.

Section, I didn't say that either. Rudock is the only player that was a backup on on the 2 deeps last season that didn't get a single game rep. To me, he has shown obvious talent this season that makes it seem very unlikely he was a scared deer in the headlights and needed the protection of the sidelines and not get in one play, last season. Some experience, helps all players. That is why all other positions had backup's getting reps last season. Can you think of a position last season that didn't have backups getting at least some reps last season?

And again, "You just never know until you get into games,” Ferentz said. “To be a successful quarterback, it sure does help to have an awareness and self-control, if you will. And so far, so good. He's really done a great job with that.”

At minimum, based on this quote, Ferentz was willing to start this season with absolutely no evidence of how Rudock would react, in game, until game one this season.

I'm still trying to figure out why Manziel didn't play his freshman season when he was good enough to win a Heisman in his RSFr year. Sumlin obviously didn't want to win.

Does what the coaches see in practice play into any of this as well? What if Ruddock was throwing one-hoppers or gopher balls in the scout team? Would anybody really know?

Let's just call a spade a spade here. Ferentz was loyal to his 5th year senior JVB and let him play out every single game. I am in the crowd that would have liked seeing some Jake Ruddock in garbage time. But Ferentz is who he is. We all know loyalty is a huge thing with him. JVB always said the right things, was a good student-athlete, never in trouble. So Ferentz let him stick out all the bad losses. It is what is is. And I think we should move on.

Let's just call a spade a spade here. Ferentz was loyal to his 5th year senior JVB and let him play out every single game. I am in the crowd that would have liked seeing some Jake Ruddock in garbage time. But Ferentz is who he is. We all know loyalty is a huge thing with him. JVB always said the right things, was a good student-athlete, never in trouble. So Ferentz let him stick out all the bad losses. It is what is is. And I think we should move on.

Its Rudock. Learn the roster.

I'm still trying to figure out why Manziel didn't play his freshman season when he was good enough to win a Heisman in his RSFr year. Sumlin obviously didn't want to win.

I am not sure I follow. Are you saying that Rudock should have started last season as a RS/FR so that he could have also been in the running for the Heisman along with fellow RS/FR Manzeil? I guess we'll never know since Rudock didn't see the field at all last season.

Latest posts