ESPN and the SEC = Brokeback Mountain

WinOneThisCentury

"I just can't quit you Nick". With the deal they just inked...how the hell do you expect to be called unbiased sports network. God help us if there is any corruption in the SEC that's uncovered, ESPN will start running NC games every hour until the smoke clears...as it's now about not hurting the product.

I think there is going to be a lot of corn-holing going on in that deal.

"I just can't quit you Nick". With the deal they just inked...how the hell do you expect to be called unbiased sports network. God help us if there is any corruption in the SEC that's uncovered, ESPN will start running NC games every hour until the smoke clears...as it's now about not hurting the product.

The sec is ghey.

I imagine they don't aspire to avoiding bias. They're selling a product. The revised BT contract will be pretty darn large as well. If not with them, then with Fox or someone else.

Hey peter, Watch out for the corn hole man

36226505.jpg

Last edited:
I think it's a fair point to question how unbiased ESPN can be with that much invested into the SEC conference.

I think it's a fair point to question how unbiased ESPN can be with that much invested into the SEC and every other conference/league it gets its dirty hands on.

Fixed it for you.

ESPN is not a valid news source and hasnt been for a long time. It's an entertainment network that happens to deliver news occasionally. Since it's business interests account for a lot of its programming, which when boiled down really can't qualify as news anymore if it's filtered to fit their interests/propoganda. In this case, it's the SEC. On other days, it's the Lakers, Heat, the NFL and the Jets.

Fixed it for you.

ESPN is not a valid news source and hasnt been for a long time. It's an entertainment network that happens to deliver news occasionally. Since it's business interests account for a lot of its programming, which when boiled down really can't qualify as news anymore if it's filtered to fit their interests/propoganda. In this case, it's the SEC. On other days, it's the Lakers, Heat, the NFL and the Jets.

Agreed.

Fixed it for you.

This, and that has been proven over and over again in the past several years in the way they cover a story. It's all about ratings.

It's kind of a funny deal, the SEC might get a ton of exposure out of this deal, but they got royally screwed on the money end of it. I heard on another website they're looking at a 28.6 million per school average with the media deal and the SEC does not get any ownership in the network - meaning no upside to the deal over that average. The Big Ten will be over $30 million per school before the SEC even starts to collect money, and in addition, the Big Ten will be auctioning its First and Second Tier rights in 2015-16. The Maryland board, in an effort to pull them from the ACC, had been told by the Big Ten they were expecting as much as $50 million per school by 2020.

As a fan of Iowa, I am now hoping the Ed O'Bannon case is won by the plantiffs. Why? The lawsuit has the potential to open the door to paying athletes for their image - meaning they would get a piece of the media rights deals from the schools - and Iowa is the fourth wealthiest school in the most wealthy conference in America in that regard. Iowa would instantly become a superpower in college athletics overnight because quite frankly, they could pay the most.

Fixed it for you.

Ok dude let's be real here. Sports stations are never "legitimate news" as sports are at their core only entertainment.

How is this different than the BTN with Fox? IIRC, Fox owns 51 percent of the BTN.

Whar uncontrollable B1G bias from Fox? Whar?

How is this different than the BTN with Fox? IIRC, Fox owns 51 percent of the BTN.

Whar uncontrollable B1G bias from Fox? Whar?
ESPN: Worldwide Leader in Sports

Fox: The Simpsons, American Idol, Family Guy

Both are big money, but only one controls the ability to brainwash the sports viewing masses. Examples: No one gave a rip about Duke/UNC or Boston/NY until they had it pounded into them for a decade and a half that they were somehow missing out on life if they did't put them above their own conference or team's rivalries and watch. They're now doing the same with the SEC (out of spite, to crush the B1G) and soccer...why do you think you see "Leon vs America" scores on the bottom line 24/7?

That being said, Fox has the chance to come out the winner here in the long run as they also are involved with the PAC-12 and the Big East is no more...ESPN needs the SEC more than the SEC needs ESPN...but ESPN is good at the brainwashing game and somehow got over on the SEC. By the way, let's not forget that ESPN got caught trying to help the Big12 land teams after saying they weren't involved in anything of the sort.

What's the stat everyone at ESPN interjects about this year's NFL draft? That, I'm not sure, 20 out the first 25 first round picks came from SEC schools? This means elite SEC athletes are more likable to NFL draft scouts in the first round.

What about elite SEC teams? I mean, Georgia, the team that almost won the SEC last year, had to beat MSU in overtime... Iowa beat MSU last year....

Six degrees: Iowa and MSU are quite alot alike.

Last edited:
What's the stat everyone at ESPN interjects about this year's NFL draft? That, I'm not sure, 20 out the first 25 first round picks came from SEC schools? This means elite SEC athletes are more likable to NFL draft scouts in the first round.

What about elite SEC teams? I mean, Georgia, the team that almost won the SEC last year, had to beat MSU in overtime... Iowa beat MSU last year....

Six degrees: Iowa and MSU are quite alot alike.

What in the hell are you talking about? Georgia did not play MSU last year. Here is Georgia's 2012 schedule.

Georgia 2012 Schedule - Bulldogs Home and Away - ESPN

Jan 1 2012 bowl game MSU beat UGA.

Good one. Last season, which is obviously what Homer meant.

And your smart *** comment really doesnt work because Georgia got curbstomped by LSU in the SEC title game in 2011, the same season as the bowl game you referenced. Nowhere close to almost winning the SEC.

They're a business. They want to make as much money as possible.

The question becomes, though, how much undue influence might they have on polls, pre-conference matchups, etc.? And who picks the coaches that vote in their poll?

It's a legitimate question. It would be one thing if BTN pretended to be unbiased or pushed for B1G teams in championships games or tournaments. But BTN has NEVER advertised itself as objective. Hence, when guys like Pizzo, Revsine, et. al., were saying the Hawks wouldn't make NCAA Tourney, they weren't being "homers" or attempting to influence committees or voters.

Latest posts