Eric May

Sirhouseman

Can't say enough about this kid. You simply cannot feel anything but great for how his senior season has panned out. It's April 3, and he is still playing basketball for Iowa. I know it's not the NCAA, but I would guess if asked right now he'd say "who cares." Last night's dagger had to rank up there with the biggest basket of his career (I know he has several that would make a fun debate). His shot put the nail in the coffin of what will guarantee him one more game, and the chance to play something meaningful.
I was thinking this morning about how far he has come. Can you even remember his selection onto the All B1G Freshmen team? That seems like twelve years ago! I'm not talking Jess Settles - been here forever - but even thinking about those years is like looking down a dark hole to find a sliver of light-there just wasn't any.
In his four years he endured losing seasons, teammate defections, changes in coaching regimes, back injuries, scrutiny from the media and fans. And now look, he's playing the best basketball of his career. He is charged with guarding the opposition's best perimeter player, he is shooting the ball with confidence, playing passing lanes with aggression and finishing with thunder at the rim. He is following in a line of great seniors who elevated their game (Cole,Gatens) who have all had an integral role in rebuilding the program. These guys have shown the younger players integrity, hard work and most importantly leadership.
I really hope Iowa brings home the banner on Thursday. This postseason has already been great for the young guys, and the propulsion of the program for next year, I think but it will give Eric May's guts, passion and commitment deserved vindication. It's not often the a basketball player knows when his last game is. This is special, and it couldn't have happened to a better Hawk.

If only there were another thread which would provide you an adequate place to display you May boner for the rest of the world to see. Oh wait...

If only there were another thread which would provide you an adequate place to display you May boner for the rest of the world to see. Oh wait...

Better than you starting another thread knocking Woodbury, btw, he had another 2 blocks last night.

Relax dude. People spend plenty of time on this board tearing down players and coaches. When a kid has success, why not celebrate it?

If hasn't been mentioned he is also a good student in the classroom. In a time when coaches leave, players transfer, and one and done, it says a lot about his character to stick with Iowa through thick and thin. It is somewhat ironic that guys like Alford, Rush, and Rice are being talked about and a person like Eric May maintains his low key approach in a respectful manner. Eric is already more mature than the three folks I mentioned.

May played well last night, but his play in the last minute and a half was key when the game was still marginally on the line. With nearly a minute left, it was still a two-possession game for Maryland and they had the shooters on the floor who could quickly make up the deficit. Eric's trey at the 1-minute mark killed any hope of a comeback. At that point, Terp fans started putting on their coats and heading for the MSG exits, they knew the game was over. This from the official play-by-play:

1:30Eric May Defensive Rebound.66-60
1:00Eric May made Three Point Jumper.69-60
0:52 69-60Logan Aronhalt missed Three Point Jumper.
0:52Aaron White Defensive Rebound.69-60
0:45 69-60Foul on Jake Layman
0:45Aaron White made Free Throw.70-60
0:45Aaron White made Free Throw.71-60
0:39 71-60Jake Layman Turnover.
0:39Eric May Steal.71-60
0:02Iowa Turnover.71-60
0:00End Game

Can't say enough about this kid. You simply cannot feel anything but great for how his senior season has panned out. It's April 3, and he is still playing basketball for Iowa. I know it's not the NCAA, but I would guess if asked right now he'd say "who cares." Last night's dagger had to rank up there with the biggest basket of his career (I know he has several that would make a fun debate). His shot put the nail in the coffin of what will guarantee him one more game, and the chance to play something meaningful.
I was thinking this morning about how far he has come. Can you even remember his selection onto the All B1G Freshmen team? That seems like twelve years ago! I'm not talking Jess Settles - been here forever - but even thinking about those years is like looking down a dark hole to find a sliver of light-there just wasn't any.
In his four years he endured losing seasons, teammate defections, changes in coaching regimes, back injuries, scrutiny from the media and fans. And now look, he's playing the best basketball of his career. He is charged with guarding the opposition's best perimeter player, he is shooting the ball with confidence, playing passing lanes with aggression and finishing with thunder at the rim. He is following in a line of great seniors who elevated their game (Cole,Gatens) who have all had an integral role in rebuilding the program. These guys have shown the younger players integrity, hard work and most importantly leadership.
I really hope Iowa brings home the banner on Thursday. This postseason has already been great for the young guys, and the propulsion of the program for next year, I think but it will give Eric May's guts, passion and commitment deserved vindication. It's not often the a basketball player knows when his last game is. This is special, and it couldn't have happened to a better Hawk.

Nice read...thanks! Take a look at the CR Gazette piece on May this morning...a really nice in depth look at his history at Iowa.

Nice read...thanks! Take a look at the CR Gazette piece on May this morning...a really nice in depth look at his history at Iowa.

Here's the article ...

Eric May to end Iowa career in style (with photos) | TheGazette

While May’s body at times failed him, his work ethic never wavered. He organized summer pick-up games, and demanded players arrived at workouts and the summer Prime Time League on time. Iowa guard Devyn Marble said May made sure “guys were accountable.â€￾

"He’s had only 23 turnovers to 68 assists this year."

If someone put on these forums last September/October and said that was going to be Eric's production for the year, no one would believe it.

What a nice senior season for Eric May, in a career that I'm sure, especially before this year, was less than he envisioned when coming to Iowa. I sure hope he can cut down the nets in NYC to close out his career.

Last year I cringed when he would take shots, this year I am hoping he shoots. He picks his spots, knows his game and doesn't play over his abilities. Hitting that 3 last night was sweet. Both he and McCabe hit clutch shots.

"He’s had only 23 turnovers to 68 assists this year."

If someone put on these forums last September/October and said that was going to be Eric's production for the year, no one would believe it.

Like the popular sports announcer likes to say.....".not so fast my friend". I admit it took longer for him to come around than I thought it would but this is the Eric May that I said before the season started that he would play a prominent role in the success of this team. I appreciate posters like Sportstalent who have come forth and admitted they were wrong about May.

Did Sirhouse have a series of over the top man love threads abou May that we all missed? Duff, could you link those for us?
Cuz if not you come across sounding like an azzhole. May is the current next great hawkeye. Cause célèbre.