Enemy Recon: My Thoughts on Arizona

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
This is a team that going into the year, the experts felt the offense was going to be very good but the defense had a lot of questions to answer.

After watching their blowout win at Toledo, I think both of those things still stand.

First, the defense...hard to get a feel for how good they can be because Toledo had nothing at quarterback play. It's amazing how many schools have poor play at that position...you have heard Deace say 1000 times that you cannot hide your quarterback in college football...its become a funny saying now, over the top a bit...but it's so true. So many teams need a lot of help.

Now, the offense..

It starts and stops with QB Nick Foles. Iowa saw him late in the game last year. Mike Scott started that game and was ineffective. Foles pretty much took over for Arizona after the Iowa game and threw for over 2400 yards, 19 TD and 9 INT last year.

He got off to a great start for this year, going 32-37 for 360 yards and 2TD.

The vast majority of Arizona's passing attack is either lateral swing throws or quick crossing or slant routes underneath. It's a fast pace and acts like an extension of the running game. Foles doesn't hold the ball for very long on most of the passing plays, as they are designed to be quick hitters to get their athletes the ball and let them make a play in space. That's not to say that Foles can't throw it deep, he just isn't asked to do that much.

The underneath stuff can lull you to sleep because Foles can deliver the deep ball with grace and touch and he did so against Toledo. Foles stands 6-5, 240 and he is a slinger now.

Through the first 33 minutes of the game, he had not attempted any passing plays beyond 15 yards. He ended with a handful of them and all of them found the mark. He also had some help from receiver Criner (#82). He had 11 grabs for 187 yards with 13 minutes to go in the game and no need to play any more. Amazing body control, excellent concentration and superb hands.

RB Nic Grigsby is back and he broke off a 36 yard touchdown run that was a similar change of field run like he had early against Iowa last year.

Back to Arizona's passing scheme...the underneath stuff and the quick flares puts a lot of pressure on the linebackers, where Iowa is a bit inexperienced this year...it also demands clean tackling from your corners and safeties.

The underneath stuff is also something that is there to be had against Iowa between the 20's...Iowa's defense is set up to avoid the big play...there are gains to be had, short and underneath..and if you are an accurate and good quarterback who has patience, you can move the ball. Typically, there aren't a lot of great college quarterbacks that are patient enough to keep doing this all night. Based on looking at Arizona's offensive scheme against Toledo, which is going to be the way they play offense all year, this offense is set up to dink and dunk their way down the field...and Foles has the touch to hurt you anywhere in the redzone.

I have been leery of this game all spring and summer and after watching Arizona in their first game of the year on the road, I am more concerned about this one, considering it will kickoff at 9:30pm Iowa time to boot...

This is a very good offense, and I haven't seen a Big Ten team show this level of precision in a while. I think Michigan would like to have a passing game like this, but they will run the ball more and Dennard Robinson is no where near as accurate as Nick Foles.

One last thought...the Arizona offensive line was not overly impressive...Toledo didn't have much to throw at them, but stuffed the run inside. But their quick hitting passing game can negate an aggressive upfield passing rush game, how they like to throw the quick flares and slants.

If the Hawks beat the Wildcats later this month, it will certainly be an accomplishment and a great step. If they would lose to this team, it would not be a shocker to me.

Last edited:
I don't know what to expect in this game, with Foles as the starter. I did notice how fast Foles got the ball away. I counted at least 20 passing plays where the ball was thrown in 2 seconds or less. This is the kind of passing that can hurt Iowa if the stay disciplined the entire game.

Hopefully Iowa's LBs will be up to the challenge...this is definitely an eye opener now with Edds and Angerer gone.

It wouldn't shock me either if Iowa lost to this Az team especially consindering the late kickoff but it remains to be seen how they respond to a serious and consistent pass rush. Only time will tell.

Arizona is a good football team, but I think we only learned about their offense tonight. The defense played a terrible offensive football team...so the jury is definitely still out on those guys.

Arizona's offense, however, is going to be a challenge. The best way to defense this short passing game is to punish the receivers after they catch the ball. By the 3rd quarter, their arms start getting shorter. Foles gets the ball out quickly, so our pass rush may not be a huge factor. I'd harken back to the Penn State / Miami National Championship game. Penn State forced them into short passes, then just hammered the receivers.

Iowa has to keep them in 3rd and 8 or 10 if they can, so Foles has to hold the ball.

This is going to be a challenging game. Our offense better score 28 if we are to win as this team is going to score some points.

Agreed. You need to punch the players in the mouth and do the same to Foles when you get him in long yardage plays. Need to limit the gains on first and second downs and tackle really well. Also, need to disrupt those short crossing routes.

My prediction is that Tarp separates the ball from someone on one of these short crossing routes and Sash takes it to the house.

Good analysis. I think they are pretty much the same as what Iowa saw last year. Iowa's defense should be able to contain Foles and Grigsby as they did last year. If they don't..

Foles is dangerous and he has good recievers. He gets the ball out quickly, and he is accurate. He has pro size and skills. Grigsby is in good form. Fast, quick and a deep threat.

Agreed. You need to punch the players in the mouth and do the same to Foles when you get him in long yardage plays. Need to limit the gains on first and second downs and tackle really well. Also, need to disrupt those short crossing routes.

My prediction is that Tarp separates the ball from someone on one of these short crossing routes and Sash takes it to the house.

Exactly...Iowa's seen these types of offenses in the past. They just need to stay patient and help Arizona's players make some snot bubbles when the ball comes their way.

This game really worries me. Hopefully our offense can put enough points because I see Arizona putting 20-23 points on the board. Like John pointed out they'll nickel and dime us up and down the field.

I think these early season blowouts can make the winning team look better than they really are. The disparity in talent makes an average team look good and a good team look great.

I'm going to wait until I see some of these teams play a higher level of opponent before I get too worried.

Watching their OL I believe we will have our hands full as they are a veteran group. I cringe at the thought of bend but don't break D with this group due to their quick hitters on offense. Special teams and especially the kicking game will be big here. Ryan will do his job but we need a place kicker to step up and claim the job today. This could cost us several games and be the difference in our season.

Dear Santa: Please send us some confidence for our kickers and I promise not to sing the "hail hail Michigan, the cess pool of the earth" song again!

But wait....all the experts on here were mocking those of us who predicted an Arizona loss this year.
Your credibility just took a nose dive Jon. :)

In 06 we beat Montana 41-6 in the opener, and in 07 we beat Syracuse 35-0....and early beatdown of a patty cake isn't always an indicator of great team strength.....that being said....32-37 out of Foles does worry me. That is the X factor this year....we shut that offense down last year without Foles....but the offense looks MUCH more effective with Foles.

Another reason to hope Jewel and the OL is ready and able by then. We need ball control ability in these type of games. The offense HAS to score and pressure opposing QB's to force things a bit.

I think Zona gets yards and points. The hawks will have to score in this game. Usually, when Iowa scores 21 it's lights out for the other team. I'm not so sure in this one. I think the Hawks need to score 28 or more...

Arizona did look impressive, but I was encouraged to see how absolutely horrible Foles looked when he had pressure. I think, like in many games this year, if our defensive line can put pressure on him, their LB's and secondary will make the plays needed.

I also think that the spread look, much like Michigan, appears unstoppable, but Iowa's "stay at home" defense is about as effective as you get with an offense like that. Our linebackers will be tested for sure, but it's definitely a winnable game. Arizona will NOT be able to beat Iowa doing just one thing well on offense. They'll need the running and passing game to go smoothly.

Many teams get caught in the trap of looking beyond their opponents. I hope all this talk of the week 3 game isn't an indication of what is on the minds of the team and coaching staff. Many a great team got tripped up by not focussing on the here and now.

We haven't even beat up on E Illinios and ISU yet. ; )

In 06 we beat Montana 41-6 in the opener, and in 07 we beat Syracuse 35-0....and early beatdown of a patty cake isn't always an indicator of great team strength.....that being said....32-37 out of Foles does worry me. That is the X factor this year....we shut that offense down last year without Foles....but the offense looks MUCH more effective with Foles.

Conversely to that we barely got by UNI last year and look how the season turned out. In 2004 the Gophers beat a ranked Toledo team at home and they looked like a BT champion contender, after that they got worse as the season went on.

That's why you have to play the games :)

Latest posts