End of Conference Realignment?

Here's a section of the article. It references a previous Grant of Rights deal brokered in the Big XII, but the principles apply to the ACC as well. Now that all five of the major conferences have Grant of Rights deals, any conference still wanting to expand will have to bring in one of the smaller schools.

What is a Grant of Rights, you ask? Here’s Brett McMurphy’s explanation of the Big 12's GOMR:
"The deal includes a 'grant of rights' agreement, meaning if a Big 12 school leaves for another league in the next 13 years, that school's media rights, including revenue, would remain with the Big 12 and not its new conference."

In other words, if a school decides to leave the ACC for, oh, say, the Big Ten, then its media revenues go to the ACC - and not to the school - for the length of the Grant of Media Rights agreement. Translation: you’re not leaving the league.

Why would the schools sign on to this (especially a school in the ACC)? Who knows what the landscape will look like in 13 years?

Yeah..media rights are your currency and signing them over to the league basically puts a halt to teams getting poached from the ACC...and the ACC was the most poachable.

GOod and entertaining read from MGoBlog: Ding Dong, The Divisions Are Dead (Again) | mgoblog

Then they talk about Big Ten Divisions

"Anyone with a keyboard to tap at is making a Big Ten West == Big 12 North comparison, and… yeah, down to the school that'll probably be making the conference's last stand against the dual hegemony in the other division. The best team out of Iowa/Illinois*/Nebraska/Wisconsin/Purdue/Northwestern will probably be pretty good. They'll be a dog in most every championship game, but this is what happens when you expand with absolutely nothing other than the rapidly-fading cable television model in mind. More like NONsense and NONsensibility and zombies, amirite?

Meanwhile, the other division is Michigan, Ohio State, and Also Ran until such time as Penn State gets off the deck from their NCAA sanctions. Michigan State's trying to puff their chest out, but it's over for them. State's recent run of quasi-relevancy (still no BCS bowls… ever) coincided with a three-year period in which

Michigan was busy punching itself during the brief Rodriguez era
Ohio State was off the schedule (2009 and 2010) or having their one-year tatgate implosion.
MSU has one win over a good OSU team since 1974, and four total. While they've been a little less futile against Michigan, before the Rodriguez run their record the previous 20 years was 5-15. With Michigan and Ohio State poised for decade-plus long runs of coaching stability and recruiting dominance, there aren't going to be a lot of opportunities to pick off easy wins against teams struggling to .500 records or worse. It's over."

Cincinnati and UCONN are clearly the big losers in this, sitting on deck to join the ACC and now it looks like they are stuck in the american athletic conference for good. Ouch

This can't be true. CAAR told us several times that Virginia was going to be in the B10, and there is no one in America with more inside information about conference realignment than that guy.

BoneG got hosed. I'm pretty sure Maryland and Rutgers were just posturing for one further round of moves to get to 16. Now that all the pieces are locked Delaney has no hand to play. We're stuck with two blah teams now. SEC was the big winner in all of this. They at least got two quality schools.

BoneG got hosed. I'm pretty sure Maryland and Rutgers were just posturing for one further round of moves to get to 16. Now that all the pieces are locked Delaney has no hand to play. We're stuck with two blah teams now. SEC was the big winner in all of this. They at least got two quality schools.

I can't believe people don't get this. It's not about the programs, it's about the TV markets. By that measure, we won and won big.

I can't believe people don't get this. It's not about the programs, it's about the TV markets. By that measure, we won and won big.

I do understand this, and Maryland did at least accomplish that somewhat. Rutgers will not bring what Delaney thinks it will. The whole driving force behind this was that Delaney basically held fans hostage and made them demand the cable companies carry the BTN. Rutgers doesn't bring that much pull. Sure, in Ohio, Michigan, and even little old Iowa, they could get away with it. But that small percentage of Rutgers fans will not move the needle much, and certainly not enough to make the cable companies in the New York metro area give a damn.

Rutgers will get BTN to in-state carriage rates in Philadelphia (where it still earns out of state rates despite PSU), and throughout New Jersey. NYC is extremely unlikely and would only be a bonus. NJ+the Pennsylvania portion of the Philly market is a huge addition.

Maryland and Rutgers are also provide a positive addition on the academics/research side, which was a large factor. Nebraska was a negative in that area.

I do understand this, and Maryland did at least accomplish that somewhat. Rutgers will not bring what Delaney thinks it will. The whole driving force behind this was that Delaney basically held fans hostage and made them demand the cable companies carry the BTN. Rutgers doesn't bring that much pull. Sure, in Ohio, Michigan, and even little old Iowa, they could get away with it. But that small percentage of Rutgers fans will not move the needle much, and certainly not enough to make the cable companies in the New York metro area give a damn.

Which is why the B10 didn't extend an offer to Rutgers until Fox bought the YES network. Rutgers won't move the needle in NYC but a package deal of the B10 network plus the YES network will force the cable companies hands.

I think you're a little too high on Missouri. But still, the A&M + Mizzou pickup was by far the best of any conference.

I believe the Big 12 still gives tier 3 rights to each institution, so there maybe interest. Delaney, about two weeks ago, indicated the expansion candidates could come from the midwest. Texas, Oklahoma (not AAU) and Kansas might be on the burner. It all depends on lawyers anyway.

Latest posts