Email from ticket office

Here is the email that I got today from the ticket office.

"With the extremely high demand we received this year for season tickets, your sad request gave our entire office staff a good laugh. Based on your lack of giving history, we can only provide a coupon for 50 cents off a delicious sandwich.

We have already made the adjustment to your account and if you would like to accept this offer, you do not need to do anything else."

I have heard reports of persons with 10 points or more being offered the 2 game package while persons with fewer or even no points being offered full season ticket packages, although fewer tickets than than requested. This seems to make no sense but the U of I must have some sort of a plan. It is for this reason that I think the ticket office is not using the point system to make these decisions.

If they did use the point system, current season ticket holders would most likely have more points and therefore, get their additional tickets. Also, no one with 13 points would be assigned the 2 game package but this happened to 03bizHawk.

In the original PR, Pam Finke stated the majority of current season ticket holders would not have their requests for additional tickets met and we are hearing of persons with points getting the 2 game offer, while persons claiming no points, getting 2 season tickets.

Before the window for season tickets opened, I called the ticket office and asked if getting the tickets in ASAP would help, the answer was NO. No priority was given to getting the tickets in early versus later. Just make certain to get it in during the open window.

I also asked if making a donation would help. Again the answer was NO. They even said not to this as it would be better to give a donation after being contacted by the ticket office. However, all of this was before the number of requests for season tickets overwhelmed the process.

I think the U of I decided to forgo the point system. They decided to get tickets to as many fans as possible, but limit the number of tickets to two so more new fans would get tickets. They also may have used the date of the request as a criteria or whether a donation was made, who knows. I think that the U of I must have ID'ed SOME criteria that they are using as decision factors.

The idea that asking for 4 or more tickets gets you 2 season tickets and asking for 2 season tickets gets you a 2 game package makes no sense to me and I sure hope the U of I is not doing this. I hope that there is some other logical criteria involved.

I sure feel for those that have gotten the 2 game package offer. I wonder if anyone else has an idea of why some are getting offered 2 games vs 2 season tickets.

How much does each priority point cost? How many priority points does a $1k donation get?

According to bulletin from ticket office dated 10-24-05 priority points earn as follows:
3 points per year for each year of season ticket purchase.
Graduate of U of I - 10 points
Letter Winner - 20 points maximum (only awarded to personal accounts - not business accounts)
National I Club Membership - points range from 1 point for I Club membership up to 50 points for Kinnick Society membership.
Cumulative Athletic Contributions - 1 point per each $100 cumulative gift to athletics, i.e. $1000 total cumulative contributions would equal 10 points.

Not certain if above data is current or not - my records go back to 2002 and the only piority point status report I've received since that time is the bulletin cited above, 10-24-05.

I do know that the U has raised contribution levels for different Membership Status categories. For example, in 05 it took contribution of at least $600 to be a Silver Hawk. By 09 that number had been raised to minimum contribution of $1,000 to remain in status of Silver Hawk. During that same time frame minimum contribution to be classed in Kinnick Society went from $5,000 in 05 to minimum of $7,500 in 09.

Above data taken directly from U of I correspondence/bulletins I have in my file. Unless there is a typo in my summary, it is correct as of February, 09. I do not have my 10 data in front of me but will check that tomorrow.

Funny Billso. Some of these guys seem crushed that they didn't tickets. If there are any games I can't make it back to Iowa for I will put a notice up on the site and make sure some of you guys get them. Also if you don't get season tickets and have your heart set on certain games I would be putting your requests out there to other folks on the site. Just an idea. Also you can usually get tickets on game day for reasonable prices. Seems like the RV lots always have some extras for some reason.

I'm really confused at how they are going about this. I applied for 1 ticket (new ticket holder) along with 4 of my friends. We all wanted to start gaining points so we went on our own. None of us have heard anything yet. We stated we would be willing to donate but that doesn't sound like it matters.

I think I've got 12 or 13 priority points. This was first time requesting season tickets. I requested two and haven't received an email at this point. I don't know what to expect. It certainly seems like point system isn't being followed completely from what you guys are saying. A kid at the ticket office told me they put a lot of weight into how you describe where you want your ticket on your application.

I'm the same situation as you. Your comment on the description section has me worried because I just wrote my description in paragraph form rather than sticking to the 4 lines, 4 choices format the form seemed to be looking for.

I'm still hearing of many people that applied for 4 and are getting 2. All of them that I know have 10 pts (grads).
I'm still not happy about that, and would like to know their thinking. I could have easily filled 4 seats but decided to apply for 2 since I knew demand was high. Now seeing that they are becoming new season ticket holders with fewer priority points, and I get a 2 game package with more points.
Nothing like scaring off donors.

So my friend who has zero points, and donated zero money and applied for two for the first time ever this year has no chance? Or a chance? He has not heard anything yet...

I'm still hearing of many people that applied for 4 and are getting 2. All of them that I know have 10 pts (grads).
I'm still not happy about that, and would like to know their thinking. I could have easily filled 4 seats but decided to apply for 2 since I knew demand was high. Now seeing that they are becoming new season ticket holders with fewer priority points, and I get a 2 game package with more points.
Nothing like scaring off donors.

03bizHawk, Have you contacted the ticket office to determine exactly why you did not get season tickets? It may be a small hope but I would hope that they just skewed up and maybe would reconsider if you contested their decision based on your points. It sure does not seem fair.

Some have suggested that location preference requests may play a role in the decision, did you specify any preferences?

So my friend who has zero points, and donated zero money and applied for two for the first time ever this year has no chance? Or a chance? He has not heard anything yet...

Through today, it seems that of those that have been contacted by the ticket office, more have heard some sort of bad news - no additional tickets, less tickets than requested or just the 2 game offer.

It also appears that priority points are not the sole criteria for these decisions.

All in all, I am hoping that we will begin hearing of more people being given season tickets this week. It is my guess that most people will hear something this week.

I am a 1st time, 2 ticket applicant with 10 points. I did list specific location preferences.

I contacted the office today.... my order went through as 0 points, and I actually have 13. They corrected the error and were able to offer me 2 tickets.
I hate Monday's, but this one turned out OK!

Congratulations 03bizHawk!

Knowing that points do make a difference is very good to hear, especially for anryone with points that has not heard anything as yet, like me.

I contacted the office today.... my order went through as 0 points, and I actually have 13. They corrected the error and were able to offer me 2 tickets.

awesome ... unless you got my tickets!

Just a thought... I'm a first time applicant that donated and requested two tickets. I was very detailed on where my choices of seats were. I have not received an email from the ticket office.
I opted to pay in three installments and the second installment is due to be taken out tomorrow.
I would think they would not take the installment out tomorrow if you are not going to be offered a full package as the first installment would cover a two game package. So my point is, I think if that money is taken tomorrow and you still have not heard that may be a good sign????

accwhitetail, Let us all know if they take the money out tomorrow and also let us know when you hear about your tickets. Good Luck!

As more people report in, it seems priority points are playing a major role in what tickets one gets. I like this for two reasons: 1) It seems fair and 2) I have some points.

For those who have told me in the past that my degree was just a piece of paper, well not so at IOWA. It is worth 10 points!

Although, it would have been a whole lot easier to just donate 1K and get the 10 points.

I still have not heard anything and I asked for 1 ticket. Does anyone know when this is supposed all be finalized?

How did you manage getting the 2 tickets? They did the same thing to me and said they couldn't offer me anything.

Latest posts