Eligibility Question With COVID

NorthKCHawk

Is it correct the MBB, like football, is not counting this year as a year of eligibility for anyone? Meaning, our entire team, including Garza and Bohannon, could return next season? I have seen conflicting information on the internet. Some say that players get an extra year to compete (meaning they would get 5 years of competition) and others say it is essentially giving players 6 years to complete 4 years of competition. Anyone know how it works as it applies to Iowa?

Pretty sure it just means everyone has 6 years to play 4, thus giving everyone a hardship waiver essentially. If you've played 4 years, you are done. So sports that didn't play, like volleyball, will not have this year count. Sucks for me, because my daughter is a high school junior volleyball player, and this has completely screwed up the recruiting process.

edit: well, I was wrong.

"Traditionally, a student-athlete has 5 years to play 4 years of their sport. An extra year means a current college student-athlete would have 6 years to play their 4 years. This means, NCAA student-athletes can compete in all or a portion of the 2020-21 season, but it won’t be counted against their years of eligibility depending on their division level specific eligibility rules."

Last edited:
This year doesn’t count. Everyone gets to play 5. That’s why we don’t have to RS anyone...big advantage with our roster depth. We may need Ulis, Perkins and Murray 2.0 before this season’s over.

You do have to be enrolled and a full-time student pursuing a major, though.

How many seniors are going to want to start grad school if they hadn't planned on it, and of those athletes, how many are coaches going to want to keep on the roster? Like if Hobbs or Baer wanted to stick around I'm guessing Fran would have a talk with them about moving on.

If it is accurate that everyone can take 5 years, that is crazy. Clearly Garza should leave unless he just wants to chase glory and college titles, but that seems fa-fetched. However, a decent case could be made for JaBo coming back for another go. Yes, he is old as hell, but he would have a chance to set school and even conference three point records that will never be broken. He doesn't have much of a future being a pro, so why not do something you can show your grandkids?

If it is accurate that everyone can take 5 years, that is crazy. Clearly Garza should leave unless he just wants to chase glory and college titles, but that seems fa-fetched. However, a decent case could be made for JaBo coming back for another go. Yes, he is old as hell, but he would have a chance to set school and even conference three point records that will never be broken. He doesn't have much of a future being a pro, so why not do something you can show your grandkids?
If he set those records it’d be with the world’s biggest asterisk. I like Bohannon but there’s no way you could call it a valid record if he had 5 full years to do it and everyone else had 4.

That’d be as bogus as nebraska’s “sellout" streak and just as tacky.

I dunno. If I had the chance to have my name placed a top the conference all time 3 point shooting record book to show my grandkids in 50 years, I don't think the asterisk would bother me all that much, even if they actually put an asterisk, which they probably would not.

Beyond just a chance at a record, I guess my point is that there are a lot of guys who will keep playing until they run out of eligibility. Jordan could put a year of graduate school under his belt for free and play relevant basketball on TV for another season. Beats getting a real job!!!!!

Pretty sure it just means everyone has 6 years to play 4, thus giving everyone a hardship waiver essentially. If you've played 4 years, you are done. So sports that didn't play, like volleyball, will not have this year count. Sucks for me, because my daughter is a high school junior volleyball player, and this has completely screwed up the recruiting process.

edit: well, I was wrong.

"Traditionally, a student-athlete has 5 years to play 4 years of their sport. An extra year means a current college student-athlete would have 6 years to play their 4 years. This means, NCAA student-athletes can compete in all or a portion of the 2020-21 season, but it won’t be counted against their years of eligibility depending on their division level specific eligibility rules."

This is going to be a problem.
If he set those records it’d be with the world’s biggest asterisk. I like Bohannon but there’s no way you could call it a valid record if he had 5 full years to do it and everyone else had 4.

That’d be as bogus as nebraska’s “sellout" streak and just as tacky.
Five years and 10 games...

I would argue that he does have a chance at playing in Europe, and you can ask a number of former Hawks about how much bank can be made there.

I have a good friend who’s a D1 coach in another sport. He’s holding a scholarship for next year...has a couple seniors he wants back next year.

And looking ahead he has a freshman and sophomore he would definitely want to play 5 years. So the number of scholarships available to high school seniors will be down a bit the next four years.

Side Note - Neither Senior has said definitively they will be back. Not everyone wants to do 5 years in school.

I have a good friend who’s a D1 coach in another sport. He’s holding a scholarship for next year...has a couple seniors he wants back next year.

And looking ahead he has a freshman and sophomore he would definitely want to play 5 years. So the number of scholarships available to high school seniors will be down a bit the next four years.

Not correct. The 5th year senior scholarships from covid do not count against scholarship limits. For example, if 3 seniors came back on a football team they could have 88 scholarships in 2021.

Not correct. The 5th year senior scholarships from covid do not count against scholarship limits. For example, if 3 seniors came back on a football team they could have 88 scholarships in 2021.
It actually is correct in my scenario...not talking about a sport where every participant is on a full ride.

Edit - I don’t pretend to know the rules. But my friend definitely does for his situation.

It actually is correct in my scenario...not talking about a sport where every participant is on a full ride.

Edit - I don’t pretend to know the rules. But my friend definitely does for his situation.
It doesn’t have anything to do with a sport having kids on full rides, the NCAA has been explicit in saying that any student athletes taking advantage of the extra year of eligibility from covid do not count against any sport’s scholarship limits. It can be found on their website and has been reported in the media as well. An individual school would not be able to override that stipulation.

Your friend’s school can decide not to offer scholarships to returning athletes, but that’s the prerogative of the individual school and doesn’t apply to NCAA D1 as a whole which is what’s being talked about here.

Covid extra eligibility does not threaten or reduce the number of scholarships available to incoming freshmen or existing underclassmen.

I hope it does not impact schollies, but it will impact playing time for kids coming in. There will be slightly more upperclassmen holding roster spots than normal for the next few years.

It doesn’t have anything to do with a sport having kids on full rides, the NCAA has been explicit in saying that any student athletes taking advantage of the extra year of eligibility from covid do not count against any sport’s scholarship limits. It can be found on their website and has been reported in the media as well. An individual school would not be able to override that stipulation.

Your friend’s school can decide not to offer scholarships to returning athletes, but that’s the prerogative of the individual school and doesn’t apply to NCAA D1 as a whole which is what’s being talked about here.

Covid extra eligibility does not threaten or reduce the number of scholarships available to incoming freshmen or existing underclassmen.
They will be offering no additional funding in the budget at his university...so no extra players on his roster on scholarship.

I understand what you’re saying and don’t disagree. I do think it is probable that many schools will have similar budget restrictions. It’s about the available funds not the number of scholarships allowed.

I have no idea on the future plans of some kids, but I could see a student who legitimately wanted to pursue grad school to use this as a way to get a year of it paid for, while still playing what they love (assuming the school would agree to fund it)

Latest posts