Elbow to Kriener's face

SayHawkKid

I understand the refs initially missed it, so a regular foul can't be called after the fact. But I was under the impression a flagrant foul can be if a video review warrants it. So was it called a regular basketball play and therefore inadvertant? Even the TV announcers said they saw no way that could be considered a regular basketball play.

I understand the refs initially missed it, so a regular foul can't be called after the fact. But I was under the impression a flagrant foul can be if a video review warrants it. So was it called a regular basketball play and therefore inadvertant? Even the TV announcers said they saw no way that could be considered a regular basketball play.

Yea I don't really understand the way they call flagrants. That one seemed pretty obvious.

I thought it was going to be a 2. The player's acting job acting surprised when he hit him is the only reason he got away with it. It was definitely on purpose.

That’s was one of the hardest shots to the nose I’ve ever seen that didn’t result in murder scene-level blood.

How do you catch an elbow to the bridge of your nose hard enough to cut you without breaking it?

Johnson was a huge problem for the Hawks last night

In addition to the elbow that could have broken Kriener's nose

He is an enormous space eater

He has very long arms and legs and uses them very well. His wide stance with arms outstretechd make it vvery difficult to go around him to the basket. Tyler couldn't move to the basket with a step or two last night because of this.....

The referees seemed to let him reside in the paint as long as he wanted to. There were times he was just standing there waiting for the ball to bounce directly in his hands.....

They had a free pass for attempted murder the entire game. I don't think we were prepared for their thuggish style of play, and along with our being out of sync and somwhat stale for much of the first half, we were fortunate to weather the storm and fight it out for the magnificent win.....

We should be prepared for Maryland's style of play. I hope Fran files a complaint to the Big authorities about cleaning things up. Someone is going to get hurt like Ryan did last season during the Penn State game.....

Last season Fran did finally complain to the Big Powers about this issue and we got a break the next game with the calls going our way for a change.....

:cool:

That’s was one of the hardest shots to the nose I’ve ever seen that didn’t result in murder scene-level blood.

How do you catch an elbow to the bridge of your nose hard enough to cut you without breaking it?

Kriener is tough as nails

Like Luka who came back after a vicious shot to the face in the Purdue game when Haas smashed him violently

Couldn't keep Luka or Ryan on the bench after being viciously hit in the face

Hawkeyes to the core

I was also leaning towards a flagrant 2. He knew Kriener was there, they were touching. Then he just throws his one elbow back.

I almost mentioned that they were touching in my post too. He knew he was there and threw his elbow back for no reason at all. Then acted surprised when he hit him. I cant believe it fooled the refs.

Johnson was a huge problem for the Hawks last night

In addition to the elbow that could have broken Kriener's nose

He is an enormous space eater

He has very long arms and legs and uses them very well. His wide stance with arms outstretechd make it vvery difficult to go around him to the basket. Tyler couldn't move to the basket with a step or two last night because of this.....

The referees seemed to let him reside in the paint as long as he wanted to. There were times he was just standing there waiting for the ball to bounce directly in his hands.....

They had a free pass for attempted murder the entire game. I don't think we were prepared for their thuggish style of play, and along with our being out of sync and somwhat stale for much of the first half, we were fortunate to weather the storm and fight it out for the magnificent win.....

We should be prepared for Maryland's style of play. I hope Fran files a complaint to the Big authorities about cleaning things up. Someone is going to get hurt like Ryan did last season during the Penn State game.....

Last season Fran did finally complain to the Big Powers about this issue and we got a break the next game with the calls going our way for a change.....

:cool:
Bruno Fernando is coming. This game, and that elbow, were good prep for what we are likely to deal with Tuesday.

Flagrant or not, am I the only one that thought Kriener kind of baited him into and sold it a bit? I mean he walked right into the dudes space when his arms were up and then flopped around like he's done in the past after the blow hit.

Flagrant or not, am I the only one that thought Kriener kind of baited him into and sold it a bit? I mean he walked right into the dudes space when his arms were up and then flopped around like he's done in the past after the blow hit.

Your allowed to defend your man. You can't do that if you're giving him his personal space. This ain't golf bud.

Either way I don't know how someone can make a basketball move with their elbow when the ball isn't even in bounds. It's flawed logic. That should be a flagrant for any player under that circumstance.

I think that was a case of Kriener being in Johnson’s space. A player has the right to the space around himself, he really just brought it arm down and it hit Kriener. Iowa was reviewed for something similar earlier in the year and it was determined the Iowa player didn’t commit a flagrant foul because the other player was too close to them or in their space basically.

I think that was a case of Kriener being in Johnson’s space. A player has the right to the space around himself, he really just brought it arm down and it hit Kriener. Iowa was reviewed for something similar earlier in the year and it was determined the Iowa player didn’t commit a flagrant foul because the other player was too close to them or in their space basically.
He didn't bring his arm down, he threw it back for no reason. The announcers even said they could not see why he would be moving his arm back like that.

He didn't bring his arm down, he threw it back for no reason. The announcers even said they could not see why he would be moving his arm back like that.

I'm not sure why Dean thinks that. He threw his arm back for no reason at all. Just like someone else said, it defies logic. You would never ever throw your arm back while standing there waiting for someone to inbound the ball in front of you.

Dean is right where it was similar to the Garza one earlier where the guy was in his space. The difference is Garza was doing a basketball move (turning to shoot the ball) and his elbow went directly into the face of the guy who was in his space. This guy didn't do a basketball move. He threw his elbow back for no reason at all other than to hit the guy who was standing up against him.

Well if that's the case then I hope you are officiating the B1G tourney cuz those refs certainly don't know about any personal space rule. Just rewatch any of the Iowa vs MSU games over the last 15 years.

Your allowed to defend your man. You can't do that if you're giving him his personal space. This ain't golf bud.

Either way I don't know how someone can make a basketball move with their elbow when the ball isn't even in bounds. It's flawed logic. That should be a flagrant for any player under that circumstance.

Where did I say Kriener wasn't allowed to guard his man? I said Kriener baited him into it by getting in that close when the guys hands were straight up. Obviously the blow hit, I never disputed that.

If that was intentional, he would have never looked back as the pass was coming to him, and they turned the ball over because he looked back and seemed shocked that he even connected with anything. I mean if he hits him, doesn't look back, catches the ball and brings it down court, the play is never even stopped. I didn't see it as flagrant at all, and thought they got the call right.

If that was intentional, he would have never looked back as the pass was coming to him, and they turned the ball over because he looked back and seemed shocked that he even connected with anything. I mean if he hits him, doesn't look back, catches the ball and brings it down court, the play is never even stopped. I didn't see it as flagrant at all, and thought they got the call right.

He was standing there looking forward then out of nowhere threw his arm up and back hard enough to cut the bridge of his nose. Do you have any reasonable explanation for why he would do that? I agree that his surprised reaction looks real but I just assume it was an act since I can't think of any reason he would need to do that. I've seen a lot of accidents in bang bang plays get called.

Latest posts