El Assico. Iowa vs Iowa State Gamethread.

I will be rooting the opposite. I want to believe ISU is a good team that we made look pathetic.
Imagine having a top 10 team and quit with an entire quarter to play. Just imagine it! Wait....it happened. Big 12 is a joke

I’m thrilled Iowa won but I think it’s fair to be concerned about the offense.
Some concern, but Iowas's offense made plays when they had to. Petras did not make mistakes with the ball. Iowa's defense and punting game put their offense in a position where they did not need to attack. It was exactly what happened in the Indiana game too. ISU has a good defense so it was great to get out with a win. I have seen some comments about ISU outgaining Iowa in total yards. Keep in mind that 1/3 of their total yardage came with less than 6 minutes left and the game decided. Iowa has a couple home games to improve before a tough trip to Maryland.

Last edited:
Imagine having a top 10 team and quit with an entire quarter to play. Just imagine it! Wait....it happened. Big 12 is a joke
ISU has improved under Campbell. That improvement has coincided with the demise of the Big ? conference. You can go right down the line..Texas Tech, Texas, K-State, Baylor, and TCU are in the dumps. I am not sure how Kansas is even fielding a team these days. . Oklahoma is talented but has somehow lost their abiltiy to play defense. Texas does less with more than any team in the country. It will be interesting to see how long the Big 12 lasts without Oklahoma and Texas.

I don't know brother. I didn't think they quit in the 4th. I think Purdy was hot trash and they had to try someone else to have any hope. The back up gained them just as many yards and points in the 4th Quarter that Purdy put up in 3 quarters.

Either way I really want to believe we beat a solid team and not some pretender. Indiana bounced back and scored a bunch in week 2 against Idaho. Of course the competition isn't great from Idaho, but Indiana did to them what a ranked team should have.

Basically if Indiana and ISU both truly suck and were pretenders in the top 25 then we have truly accomplished nothing other than starting 2-0.

Told ya I was getting hammered this weekend.

Birthday + ISU/Iowa in the top ten + Hawkeye victory = yours truly in a whole lot of trouble.

For the record I can recall Hawks vs Clones on my birthday only one other time, in Ames in 1993. A long time ago. And ISU was closer to the bottom ten than top ten in those days.

So without further ado here are yesterday's newspaper headlines:

"Charlie's Angels"

"Matt-tastrophe"

"The Bloom Is Off The (Mike) Rose"

"Purdy Sure It's Another Hawk Win"

"Clown Offense A Con-Jestin'ed Mess"

Last edited:
ISU has improved under Campbell.
Have they really though? In a meaningful way?

Basically they had a single 9-3 season and everyone has declared MC the next football whisperer.

Remember what happened to Minnesota and NW a couple seasons back? Both of em had a fluke year and then it was right back to sucking hind tit the next. Now, it can be argued that both of those teams have "improved" under their respective HCs, but at the end of the day their teams are about as important to the national scene as hen shit on a pump handle. And so is ISU. Even if they go 9-3 again.

Do tell...
Nothing obnoxious or illegal, Will say that water was my best friend most of yesterday. And that it explains my absence in the game and post-game threads.

Seeing Ronald McDonald spit the bit...again.....will. make any weekend more enjoyable and particularly a birthday weekend.

I told @IanPikeHammer in the Indiana game thread that I (we) were getting plowed for our birthdays. You or I would have to ask him if he held up his end of the deal.

Nothing obnoxious or illegal, Will say that water was my best friend most of yesterday. And that it explains my absence in the game and post-game threads.
We tailgated in my backyard. Got good reach on my wifi so we basically set up just like we do for real deal tailgating. My 14 yo, my best friend, and myself were the last holdouts. Sat in the yard until halfway through the USC game.

Tell ya what, tailgating with Sprite Zero might not be as fun at the time (it is for me), but it makes packing up at 11pm as well as the next day sooooo much more tolerable.

We tailgated in my backyard. Got good reach on my wifi so we basically set up just like we do for real deal tailgating. My 14 yo, my best friend, and myself were the last holdouts. Sat in the yard until halfway through the USC game.

Tell ya what, tailgating with Sprite Zero might not be as fun at the time (it is for me), but it makes packing up at 11pm as well as the next day soo much more tolerable.
As it turned out, USC's coach Helton didn't last much longer than you did.

Latest posts