Eerie confessions from Ed Thomas Killer

So if abortion was illegal you would be against the death penalty? I don't get how someone so passionate about saving lives can be all for killing someone. IMO your logic is flawed. This kid will get what he deserves. Life in prison, even with 3 meals and cable TV, is no walk in the park. He'll be experiencing hell on earth for a few decades before he gets the real thing. Plus, I don't have any links or anything, but I've heard before that capital punishment costs more than keeping a person in prison for the rest of their life.

You can't even compare those two. One is someone being put on trial for taking another's life. The other is creation. You can't even make an argument for those to be compared. I don't see how Capital Punishment can even remotely cost more than keeping a person in prison....i'm not ruling it out, I just can't possibly see it being comparable.

Oh no, I'd be all for frying murderers even if abortion was illegal, oh great passion measurer!...As for my logic being flawed...That's rich...Did you learn that in "Far left/Far right 101"? "When you have no point, cloud their's and put them on the defensive"...nice! I guess I'll make you feel better with..."uh...um...I...err...uh...darn, ya got me there!" I hope that helped...

tremendous help

If this guy is ever walking free outside of a prison again in his life, it will be a travesty. The lawyers somehow defending him have no conscience. Pathetic.

Pretty sure Ed Thomas and his family wouldn't/don't want the death penalty. The guy was clearly insane and needs to be treated. Of course he should never be let out either.

Why should Iowa taxpayers be punished by paying to keep Becker alive?

What did Ed Thomas do to deserve the death penalty?

Was Becker insane when he decided to stop taking his medication? Wasn't medication his treatment?

Anyone trying to use this horrible tragedy to bring the death penalty to Iowa is doing a great disservice to the state. Just take a look across the Mississippi River to see what's wrong with the death penalty.

Illinois had to release almost 20 innocent men from death row over the years. About half of these men were basically freed by Northwestern journalism students who started investigating the case files of death row prisoners as a class project. Family members of these prisoners started to organize a campaign for a state moratorium on executions, and they got the ear of a Republican governor, who shut down death row and commuted everyone's sentence to life.

And now Illinois doesn't execute people anymore -- just like Iowa. Hawkeye staters, I submit that that's a good thing.

Texas seems to be able to execute murderers and not innocents. Illinois is an example of corruption. It is not an example of justice.

An appropriate solution would be for those that corrupted the justice system to put innocent men (at least innocent of murder) the death penalty.

There is a distinct difference between a someone with Antisocial Personality Disorder and a someone with Paranoid Schizophrenia.

You can't treat ASPD, and fear of consequence (jail, possibly death) would be a POSSIBLE deterrent for someone with ASPD...but even then probably not.

If this guy was suffering from paranoid delusions, and had other positive symptoms of Schizophrenia (hallucinations), then the criminal justice system, and the concept of deterrence, is completely irrelevant.

If this guy has a severe, and treatable, mental illness, then the question should be "how come this guy wasn't treated and assessed to be a danger?" versus "how can we punish?"

I had the chance to talk to an A-P family a month or two after this happened. The husband and wife were close to both the Beckers and the Thomas' through their church. The wife said that Mrs. Thomas was heart broken for both families. She said she knew Mark Becker was sick and told his family that she was sorry for their loss as well. I have no reason to believe these two people were making this up. Both had tears in their eyes.

If his widow understands that Becker is sick, that's enough for me. He clearly has a broken mind and needs psychiatric help. I'm not sure prision is the right place for him (nor is society).

My biggest anger is against the facility who let this man out when he clearly wasn't stabilized.

Thank God we have all these emphathetic posters towards people who have mental issues.(That is sarcasm, boys/girls) The kid is messed up. What would Ed Thomas say if he could? I would venture he would say help the young man.

So if abortion was illegal you would be against the death penalty? I don't get how someone so passionate about saving lives can be all for killing someone. IMO your logic is flawed.

Actually ... yes. They should both be illegal. I will say; however, that this case disgusts me. The only time I honestly think the death penalty might be warranted is for people who kill or rape children and I cannot argue one way or the other as to whether the death penalty is a deterent. We'll never know that answer. But the argument that he has obvious mental issues is baffling to me. He has mental issues BECAUSE HE CHOSE to use drugs. I feel zero, absolutely zero, sympathy for this man. Knowing people with legit mental issues and comparing them to this man is unfair. Drugs mess you up. In my opinion, pleading insanity here is like claiming "I was drunk, dude. I can't be held accountable for my actions."

"The suspect has pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity, and his attorneys have said that they will try to show he is a paranoid schizophrenic who had not taken his prescribed medication the night before the shooting."

All the more reason to put him away for life or fry his ***. If he didn't take his medication once, there will come a time when he will not take it again. And the notion that he could be on the streets when that time comes is beyond the pale.

Latest posts