Ed Hinkel Career Highlight Video

A week or so ago I was watching some old Hawkeye game highlight videos and I noticed a trend. Ed Hinkel made a ton of great plays. So I searched for a Hinkel highlight video and couldn't find any. I think that is crazy. In my opinion he was one of the best Iowa WR of all time and was a perfect embodiment of a Ferentz Era Hawkeye.

So I made this video. Check it out if you have a few minutes.

https://youtu.be/FZRrq7wqxaU

A week or so ago I was watching some old Hawkeye game highlight videos and I noticed a trend. Ed Hinkel made a ton of great plays. So I searched for a Hinkel highlight video and couldn't find any. I think that is crazy. In my opinion he was one of the best Iowa WR of all time and was a perfect embodiment of a Ferentz Era Hawkeye.

So I made this video. Check it out if you have a few minutes.

https://youtu.be/FZRrq7wqxaU

Nice job.

Loved me some Ed Hinkel. Dude made as much out of his talent as anyone.

Nice job.

Loved me some Ed Hinkel. Dude made as much out of his talent as anyone.

That's what I loved most about him. Never the biggest or fastest guy but worked hard and squeezed every ounce of talent out of his body that he could. And he was an incredibly smart route runner.

Hinkle was a stud. For all of the need for more speed, I'd take 3 Eddie H's. Master of route running and getting separation. Rarely dropped a pass.

All time Hawkeye.

Nice work op.

Vandeberg kinda reminds me of him. Hinkel was a tough dude. I'll never forget a couple of those diving catches he made. The one against PSU was just amazing. His home state the school that didn't remotely want him. He sure helped stick it to them that game.

Vandeberg kinda reminds me of him. Hinkel was a tough dude. I'll never forget a couple of those diving catches he made. The one against PSU was just amazing. His home state the school that didn't remotely want him. He sure helped stick it to them that game.

Very interesting comparison between Vandeberg and Hinkel. They do seem very similar in a lot of ways. The one thing I would say we haven't seen from Vandeberg yet is the ability to make the nearly impossible catch. That was certainly one thing that set Hinkel apart and he proved he was capable of on multiple occasions. Hopefully we will see a few of those this next year from Vandeberg.

Very interesting comparison between Vandeberg and Hinkel. They do seem very similar in a lot of ways. The one thing I would say we haven't seen from Vandeberg yet is the ability to make the nearly impossible catch. That was certainly one thing that set Hinkel apart and he proved he was capable of on multiple occasions. Hopefully we will see a few of those this next year from Vandeberg.
That's true. Hinkel has himself a highlight video. Vandeberg really doesn't have any eye popping plays to speak of like he does. Besides color they are somewhat similar in size. And for the most part Hinkel was a possession type receiver making those tough catches. I remember him taking a bunch of tough tough hits and getting up and taking some more. So they aren't by any means exactly the same. But I think they are somewhat similar in that neither were out running anyone out there but are tough with good hands.

He wasn't fast but he was very quick, excellent hands, always knew his routes, could get separation, was elusive, knew where he was on the field, and was very acrobatic. His lack of speed kept him out of the NFL.

Didn't he get the best time on the three cone drill at the NFL combine?

He wasn't fast but he was very quick, excellent hands, always knew his routes, could get separation, was elusive, knew where he was on the field, and was very acrobatic. His lack of speed kept him out of the NFL.

Didn't he get the best time on the three cone drill at the NFL combine?

I thought his medical issues (remember his arm having surgery after a bad break during the senior season and needing 4 pins or something) was also to blame. Regardless, one of my favorite Hawkeyes, tons of great moments. I was there in person for his senior day 4 TD performance against Minnesota, it was one of my favorite games. Well deserved.

Latest posts