Economic Impact of Iowa Football to Johnson County

I understand that it is a HUGE impact to the community, but does who the coach is matter? I love the CAPTAIN and all but as long as the team is winning it does not matter what the name on the door says.

I hope Kirk stays for a long time like Hayden did, but lets no get carried away.

I figured you'd get nailed for this by others, and indeed you did. I'll pile on. Brainless post. Truly brainless.

Sales tax revenue goes to the state and not the city. The University doesn't pay property taxes, so that's a big chunk of land that the city can't collect taxes on. When every cop on the force has to work game days - that's alot of overtime to pay.

there is also local sales tax, local hotel room sales, local food and drinks,local gas purchases,etc.

The UofI would be using that space and not paying taxes on it anyway.

I think you are missing the point of the broad sweeping economic effect home football games have for the state of Iowa.

I figured you'd get nailed for this by others, and indeed you did. I'll pile on. Brainless post. Truly brainless.

I'll pile on.

Image is everything, as is winning. KFz gives us both. To say the coach makes no difference is ridiculous. If you still don't agree, consider these names (and try not to hurl)... Ron Zook, Tim Brewster, Rich Rodriquez, Jim Criner (I love to throw that one in for laughs).

While Hawkeye football is bigger than any one person, the Head Coach is pretty damned important in the whole equation.

there is also local sales tax, local hotel room sales, local food and drinks,local gas purchases,etc.

The UofI would be using that space and not paying taxes on it anyway.

I think you are missing the point of the broad sweeping economic effect home football games have for the state of Iowa.

Did you even notice the post I was replying too?

Iowa City has a 2% Local option sales tax, Which goes for flood recovery and to the Iowa City School District. Hotel taxes goes to the state. Food and drink purchases etc - go to the businesses. I never said football games weren't good for the city or the state.

The point being the Iowa City Police department doesn't make money on game days. Even though - yes I know, they write tickets. Here's something alot of people don't know. If a City Police officer writes you a ticket - like say a public intox ticket - the city doesn't necessarily get to keep that money. If you are breaking a state law - then the state gets that money. If they write you a parking ticket - yes then the city gets the money. But you would have to write an awful lot of $10.00 parking tickets to make up for having to pay Police Officers (who make around 50 grand a year) time and a half.

Did you even notice the post I was replying too?

Iowa City has a 2% Local option sales tax, Which goes for flood recovery and to the Iowa City School District. Hotel taxes goes to the state. Food and drink purchases etc - go to the businesses. I never said football games weren't good for the city or the state.

The point being the Iowa City Police department doesn't make money on game days. Even though - yes I know, they write tickets. Here's something alot of people don't know. If a City Police officer writes you a ticket - like say a public intox ticket - the city doesn't necessarily get to keep that money. If you are breaking a state law - then the state gets that money. If they write you a parking ticket - yes then the city gets the money. But you would have to write an awful lot of $10.00 parking tickets to make up for having to pay Police Officers (who make around 50 grand a year) time and a half.

Yes I read it and your reply, you are negating the local non-tax impact on the local economy's. local sales of product by local businesses that helps with local employment. that increases the local tax base. The extra police officers are a public service that is provided for the home games,paid for by the city for an event that greatly increases local revenue during home football games.

Yes I read it and your reply, you are negating the local non-tax impact on the local economy's. local sales of product by local businesses that helps with local employment. that increases the local tax base. The extra police officers are a public service that is provided for the home games,paid for by the city for an event that greatly increases local revenue during home football games.

I'm not negating anything - your putting words in my mouth. Nice try.

Latest posts