Economic Impact of Iowa Football to Johnson County

Maybe the university needs to take a look at this and stop trying to just get people into the stadium, and then out of their hair as soon as the game is over...

What about revenue generated from state sales tax on all of the Hawkeye football gear? Just another thing to point out when the "nerds" start complaining about KF's salary.

This makes me wonder about the revenue generated by Hawkeye Football overall. If Johnson Co. makes $100M annually what is the revenue from say Polk Co for those of us who buy our tailgating supplies, gas, and gear in the Des Moines area prior to heading to IC? How much does the state of Illinois make from all the people heading west on Saturdays?

That would make an interesting study

Well if you break that down further...
40% hotel rooms... 65 % of that is hotel room price gouging..
28% Alcohol and food.. which includes before, during, after, all night, and 4th meal at Taco Bell or late night IHOP
21% apparel... 60 % of which is actually licensed material sold by authorized retail outlets
10% legal expenses... 30 percent of that is by current football players
1% Gas... since Iowa City gas prices are 10-15 cents higher than everywhere else, everyone fills up before they come to town.

28% Alcohol and food.. which includes before, during, after, all night, and 4th meal at Taco Bell or late night IHOP
21% apparel... 60 % of which is actually licensed material sold by authorized retail outlets
1% Gas... since Iowa City gas prices are 10-15 cents higher than everywhere else, everyone fills up before they come to town.

From the looks of your math we have some slackers out there. I thought we were to give 110%.

That made me laugh!

The ICCC really needs to look at this and think before they just rubber stamp everything the university want them to do.

Huh? Maybe the powers that be for the city, including the IC police department, should quit ******** about all the money it costs them to provide extra services on football weekends. Think the tax revenue will pay for a couple of more traffic controls police officers?

I understand that it is a HUGE impact to the community, but does who the coach is matter? I love the CAPTAIN and all but as long as the team is winning it does not matter what the name on the door says.

I hope Kirk stays for a long time like Hayden did, but lets no get carried away.

Huh? Maybe the powers that be for the city, including the IC police department, should quit ******** about all the money it costs them to provide extra services on football weekends. Think the tax revenue will pay for a couple of more traffic controls police officers?

Sales tax revenue goes to the state and not the city. The University doesn't pay property taxes, so that's a big chunk of land that the city can't collect taxes on. When every cop on the force has to work game days - that's alot of overtime to pay.

Last edited:
I understand that it is a HUGE impact to the community, but does who the coach is matter? I love the CAPTAIN and all but as long as the team is winning it does not matter what the name on the door says.

I hope Kirk stays for a long time like Hayden did, but lets no get carried away.

I think you need to review your statement. How are you going to keep winning with a crappy coach. You won't get players and in turn you won't get wins. Look at Michigan or Notre Damne for instance. Those two, with their winning traditions, should be able to stick any coach in and still win. So, how have those two been doing lately. See where I am going here? The coaches name on the door matter immensely. We are very lucky to have a coach with as much class as Ferentz. I think he earns every penny he makes.

Wow, this is not a very intelligent post. In a market like Iowa, you HAVE to have a good coach who can develop talent because we will typically not get 5 star recruits. It's reality. The only reason our recruiting is doing so well now is because we are doing so well on the field. That takes coaching.

Also, there's a REASON he keeps getting awards like coach of the year, big ten coach of the year. He's good.

Again, wow. You don't simply win without a good coach (i.e. see the "Dream Team" at the Olympics a few years ago).

Latest posts