EC Matthews to Rhode Island

thejumper5

I have to say, I'm surprised by this decision, given the offers he had, but I think the Rams are getting a really solid ball player.

Something is odd here..A-10 is a great league...but to turn down some places for URI seems to not make senae.

That was quick. I'm with Jon. I think there were some difficulties with his academics. Not sure if that's why we gave up on him or if he was told that we just didn't have a spot for him due to another silent commit.

That was quick. I'm with Jon. I think there were some difficulties with his academics. Not sure if that's why we gave up on him or if he was told that we just didn't have a spot for him due to another silent commit.

The school that Lamar Odom built.

I agree that something must have turned Iowa off, because they had the full court press on this kid for awhile. He visited on a Saturday and I believe the coaches made a home visit on Sunday.

Wonder if we will ever know what happened?

I agree that something must have turned Iowa off, because they had the full court press on this kid for awhile. He visited on a Saturday and I believe the coaches made a home visit on Sunday.

I think that they were willing to take a chance on Matthews qualifying...thinking that if he does, great..if not, they bank the ride which Fran had talked about doing.

Then they went and saw Jok play twice...and felt like a Jok in the hand was better for them than a Matthews in the bush. Or something like that. I am fairly certain this is what transpired.

It just might be that the coaching staff liked Jok more than Matthews and when he indicated he was ready to pull the trigger, they cut Matthews loose. Frankly, I'm hoping that's the case because I thought Matthews looked pretty good in his videos and if Jok is an upgrade from those, we've got a pretty decent player.

I think that they were willing to take a chance on Matthews qualifying...thinking that if he does, great..if not, they bank the ride which Fran had talked about doing.

Then they went and saw Jok play twice...and felt like a Jok in the hand was better for them than a Matthews in the bush. Or something like that. I am fairly certain this is what transpired.

nice analogy ;)

I think there are qualifying concerns there.

That would not surprise me as the schools in that area around Romulus and Inkster are absolutely terrible...that was one of my concerns when I saw Iowa recruiting him. I like Iowa getting back into Michigan, but kids around the Detroit area that aren't going to Country Day are a risk. Kids out of the Saginaw area are generally safe, also Lansing and Grand Rapids are safe.
With all the funding issues that the state of Michigan has and how money was basically stolen from the Detroit schools over the last 20 years, the Detroit area has been hit pretty hard and academics have really suffered.

Latest posts