Eastern Illinois game

Ok who hijacked Good’s account???
I'm just like every other fan. I want results. The results of the Iowa hoops team has been very very positive in my view. Whatever is happening right now, down 2 of your best 5 or not, shouldn't happen to a program this established. It's not like E IL got from hot 3, they fucking destroyed us just going straight at the hoop.

That game can't happen as far as I'm concerned and if Iowa goes from clearly a NCAA tournament team to not going to make it, I'm putting that on Fran. I get we have some injuries to key pieces, we should have more pieces to beat one of the worst statistical teams in the country.

Iowa should have been able to play their entire grey team and win that game. We shot SOOO bad, that I have to imagine that the grey team quite possibly would have shot better. That's an eye opener to anyone who follows the program.

They gotta win at Nebraska and Penn State. Period. At least 1 - I don't know, I don't see it.

This game reminded me of the tourney game last year versus Oregon. Under Fran, Iowa has almost never faired well against twitchy athletic teams. Here and there, we've seen some positive results but mostly just flashes.

This years team has a razor thin margin for error. As Northside pointed out, this may be as poor a depth as any of Fran's teams in memory. What we really needed was for several players to take that next step in the off-season, but in all honesty, other than Rebraca it hasn't materialized.

I'm sure the coaching staff was counting on growth from several players, especially Ogundele and Mulvey on the front line, but, in the limited amount of exposure, neither appears to be anywhere near close to competing on a B1G level.

We also needed Perkins to continue that ascent. He was a major factor late last season but appears to have regressed for whatever reason. I know he has had some injury issues, but he just seems sideways and lost.

Another factor that hasn't been mentioned is the retirement of Speraw. His presence was a major stabilizing factor, especially with in-game adjustments. Fran runs the program from a big-picture standpoint, but often ceded the in-game management to Kirk.

There are two things dooming this team and both are recruiting issues. Which sucks because I love Fran.

1) As said before, zero depth. The only way this team is successful is with a single 5 man lineup. With even one of those two players gone you’re going to struggle, when two are gone…turn out the lights—party’s over.

2) Peyton Sandfort was a HUGE recruiting miss. Can’t blame that entirely on Fran because Sandfort was a high school film queen. There’s no way to know if a player is going to fall apart when he’s on a bigger stage until he gets to that bigger stage.

Sandfort doesn’t have the stones to play on tv in front of 12,000 hostile fans. You can see it on his face and the janky, nervous way he plays. Maybe if they gave him some gummies before games it might bring him back to earth but alas, it’s not legal.

This game reminded me of the tourney game last year versus Oregon. Under Fran, Iowa has almost never faired well against twitchy athletic teams. Here and there, we've seen some positive results but mostly just flashes.

This years team has a razor thin margin for error. As Northside pointed out, this may be as poor a depth as any of Fran's teams in memory. What we really needed was for several players to take that next step in the off-season, but in all honesty, other than Rebraca it hasn't materialized.

I'm sure the coaching staff was counting on growth from several players, especially Ogundele and Mulvey on the front line, but, in the limited amount of exposure, neither appears to be anywhere near close to competing on a B1G level.

We also needed Perkins to continue that ascent. He was a major factor late last season but appears to have regressed for whatever reason. I know he has had some injury issues, but he just seems sideways and lost.

Another factor that hasn't been mentioned is the retirement of Speraw. His presence was a major stabilizing factor, especially with in-game adjustments. Fran runs the program from a big-picture standpoint, but often ceded the in-game management to Kirk.

:cool:

There are two things dooming this team and both are recruiting issues. Which sucks because I love Fran.

1) As said before, zero depth. The only way this team is successful is with a single 5 man lineup. With even one of those two players gone you’re going to struggle, when two are gone…turn out the lights—party’s over.

2) Peyton Sandfort was a HUGE recruiting miss. Can’t blame that entirely on Fran because Sandfort was a high school film queen. There’s no way to know if a player is going to fall apart when he’s on a bigger stage until he gets to that bigger stage.

Sandfort doesn’t have the stones to play on tv in front of 12,000 hostile fans. You can see it on his face and the janky, nervous way he plays. Maybe if they gave him some gummies before games it might bring him back to earth but alas, it’s not legal.
Too early to be so negative on Sandfort. Yes, he’s pressing right now, but no stones? He was terrific in the tournament championship game last year against Purdue, on a big stage.

Iowa is fighting through injuries right now. This is a team that could come together late. It’s a long, long season.

I still have hope for Sandfort, he was/is in a massive slump, but we saw what he was capable of last season

His floor game and D are very good, when he removes the proverbial lid off the basket for good, we will
need his contribution

:cool:

You know what, Fry? You write some pretty good stuff here. But you also have a real skill for making an ass of yourself. Other than whining about PS missing a lot of 3’s, have you watched him find other ways to help the team? “Huge recruiting miss” really? What the Billy hell are you talking about?

Peyton has no been a "miss" he was a slow starter last year then found his stroke and led us to a Big Ten Tourny Title. He still has a great floor game.

If his brother works out then its a good push but sandfort needs to be coached up so it would help if he shoots inside his range of 12 to 15 feet to be effective. His shot technique alone from long range is nothing short of a 2020s bastardized version of red klotz. He is an athlete and needs to work his game away from the 3.

Disagree. That's exactly the kind of thing a P5 coach should be able to sniff out.

Disagree. That's exactly the kind of thing a P5 coach should be able to sniff out.
Iowa saw him in person plenty and Iowa likely saw the big picture with his brother, who is a much higher ranked recruit. It worked, and again, he did play a key role for Iowa last season down the stretch and it's not like he hasn't contributed at all this year. He's in a funk. It happens. It will likely swing back hard the other way. He's no where near a miss at this point

I don't even know what to say about that game... I'm at a loss. It should have been impossible. Iowa shoulda been able to beat them with Josh O playing point guard.

I didn't watch it just saw the box score. Looks to me like PM and Sandfort built the great wall of China with all the bricks they must have thrown up there. They take the green light that Fran gives guys way way too literally. It's nice to have that as a shooter/scorer but they haven't the slightest idea of what the difference between a good and bad shot is. That's what's killing this team. It's not TOs (before the yr I thought that'd be a problem losing JBo and having new PGs) so much but straight up shot selection. The wrong guys are taking the wrong shots at the wrong times.

I don't even know what to say about that game... I'm at a loss. It should have been impossible. Iowa shoulda been able to beat them with Josh O playing point guard.

I didn't watch it just saw the box score. Looks to me like PM and Sandfort built the great wall of China with all the bricks they must have thrown up there. They take the green light that Fran gives guys way way too literally. It's nice to have that as a shooter/scorer but they haven't the slightest idea of what the difference between a good and bad shot is. That's what's killing this team. It's not TOs (before the yr I thought that'd be a problem losing JBo and having new PGs) so much but straight up shot selection. The wrong guys are taking the wrong shots at the wrong times.
Have to agree, Peyton likes to come into a game and shoot a turnaround 3 as his first shot and a lot of the guys pass up a wide open 3 to step into a contested deep 2 pointer. This teams biggest problem is indecision.

Have to agree, Peyton likes to come into a game and shoot a turnaround 3 as his first shot and a lot of the guys pass up a wide open 3 to step into a contested deep 2 pointer. This teams biggest problem is indecision.
I was hoping having a guy like Gatens on the staff now could really help with that too. He was pretty darn good at that I thought and he's a guy that absolutely had the green light early on. (Who else on Frans first couple teams were even capable?)

I just saw that Kris will be back this Thursday so that'll help a ton but he'll have to play himself back into a rhythm. Just hope that doesn't take too long

Latest posts