East vs West MYTH

It's a little more complicated than that, IMO, because it skews which division actually wins head to head.

If we take the top 3 teams for each division since 2014 it looks like this:

East

OSU: 72-7 overall
PSU: 54-22
UM: 51-23
TOTAL: 177-52, .773

West

WIS: 61-17
IOWA: 51-25
MIN: 44-30
TOTAL: 156-72, .684

Now, one could make all kinds of arguments about SOS, which division is weaker overall (since most games are played in-division), etc., but how to the East Top 3 stack up when playing against the West Top 3?

Since 2014:

OSU vs:
IOWA: 0-1
WIS: 4-0
MIN: 3-0
TOTAL: 7-1

PSU vs:

IOWA: 4-0
WIS: 2-0
MIN: 1-1

UM vs:

IOWA: 1-1
WIS: 2-2
MIN: 2-1
TOTAL: 5-4

EAST 3 vs WEST 3: 19-6, .760

It's hard as hell not to argue that the East is a waaaay better division than the West, especially when a West team has never won the B1G.
my argument is that East is more TOP-HEAVY. West is more BALANCED.

Factor in the top 3 from the East to the Top 3 from the West and see how even the numbers are. I think Iowa is the last team from the Wes to beat Ohio State. Iowa has lost to Penn State....5 times in a row.

Factor in the top 3 from the East to the Top 3 from the West and see how even the numbers are. I think Iowa is the last team from the Wes to beat Ohio State. Iowa has lost to Penn State....5 times in a row.

Purdue is from the West and they beat OSU last year. Badly.

Iowa has lost to PSU a bunch in a row, but the past few years have been pretty damned close games. Penn State, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State and Wisconsin are all fairly close programs. Iowa is the worst of the group (maybe MSU has taken that role of late), but Iowa isn't light years behind any of them. The only difference is OSU. They are on another level than anyone else in the conference. Any good team from the West can compete with anyone in the East other than OSU. This year you had Wisconsin truck Michigan and Minnesota beat PSU. Neither Michigan nor PSU embarrassed Iowa and I think if Iowa had better guard play, it had a really good shot at beating both PSU and Michigan. There is a lot of parity between the divisions outside of OSU's utter dominance.

Couldn't remember if anyone from the West had beaten Ohio State. Purdue had a good year last year.

I think if you only factor in the top 3 from both divisions, you'd see that the East clearly dominates the West. But that's just a guess.

Couldn't remember if anyone from the West had beaten Ohio State. Purdue had a good year last year.

I think if you only factor in the top 3 from both divisions, you'd see that the East clearly dominates the West. But that's just a guess.
Dude, you missed it.

I did that right here...

https://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/threads/east-vs-west-myth.88510/#post-1897478

It's a little more complicated than that, IMO, because it skews which division actually wins head to head.

If we take the top 3 teams for each division since 2014 it looks like this:

East

OSU: 72-7 overall
PSU: 54-22
UM: 51-23
TOTAL: 177-52, .773

West

WIS: 61-17
IOWA: 51-25
MIN: 44-30
TOTAL: 156-72, .684

Now, one could make all kinds of arguments about SOS, which division is weaker overall (since most games are played in-division), etc., but how to the East Top 3 stack up when playing against the West Top 3?

Since 2014:

OSU vs:
IOWA: 0-1
WIS: 4-0
MIN: 3-0

PSU vs:

IOWA: 4-0
WIS: 2-0
MIN: 1-1

UM vs:

IOWA: 1-1
WIS: 2-2
MIN: 2-1
TOTAL: 5-4

EAST 3 vs WEST 3: 19-6, .760

It's hard as hell not to argue that the East is a waaaay better division than the West, especially when a West team has never won the B1G.

Hold up, Minn has the 3rd best record in the West sine 2014? That is some crazy stuff right there.

The jist of this post was to DISPELL the fact that many people, in here and outside of here, act like this division is the WEAKEST P5 division, almost MAC-level. And NOT winning it is borderline criminal.

And, moving forward, IL, MN, Pur, and maybe Neb (hope not), are experiencing an up-tick. This division is no joke. No easy-outs anymore.

Hold up, Minn has the 3rd best record in the West sine 2014? That is some crazy stuff right there.
One game better than Northwestern. The East may have better top teams and worse bottom feeders, but our division falls off in a damn hurry after Wisconsin.

Bottom line. The West has never won the Big Ten Championship game.

Until it does, the assumption is that the best team will always come out of the East, therefore the East is always better.

To me that’s not the bottom line because whichever division you put Ohio State in would win most of the championship games.

To me the bottom line is the East is extremely top heavy while the West has more parity.

To me that’s not the bottom line because whichever division you put Ohio State in would win most of the championship games.

To me the bottom line is the East is extremely top heavy while the West has more parity.
Either way, I've never been a fan of handicapping, and realigning divisions is a form of that. If you want to be the man you gotta beat the man, and eventually team is going to cycle out of dominance, even OSU. Look at Nebraska, they had a better run than OSU ever did and now they're dogshit. If you'd have said in '97 that nebraska would miss three bowls in a row and have a losing record over a span of 5 years people would have had you committed.

I say leave them where they're at.

The jist of this post was to DISPELL the fact that many people, in here and outside of here, act like this division is the WEAKEST P5 division, almost MAC-level. And NOT winning it is borderline criminal.

And, moving forward, IL, MN, Pur, and maybe Neb (hope not), are experiencing an up-tick. This division is no joke. No easy-outs anymore.
You should get that shift key checked out. Looks like it's sticking.

Seems hard to believe but this season will be the 3rd time in the 6 year history of the West division that the Gophers will enter the final week of the season in which a win vs Wisconsin would give them the B1G West championship.

2014 & 2016 were the others. Now the 2016 season would have forced a 4 way tie between WI, IA, MN & NE that I believe Wisconsin would have won.

Either way, I've never been a fan of handicapping, and realigning divisions is a form of that. If you want to be the man you gotta beat the man, and eventually team is going to cycle out of dominance, even OSU. Look at Nebraska, they had a better run than OSU ever did and now they're dogshit. If you'd have said in '97 that nebraska would miss three bowls in a row and have a losing record over a span of 5 years people would have had you committed.

I say leave them where they're at.

Ohio State could never get as bad Nebraska has without some major infractions handed down by the NCAA. They reside in a hotbed of talent, there is a reason why Ohio State has been so dominant for so long. Ohio State could have a mediocre season once in awhile but it’s short lived.

Put Ohio State in the West and then the West becomes the dominant division. But I like the geographic division alignment.

Fact is, the B1G West rep hasn't won the CCG yet. Until that happens, East is the better division. Top to bottom doesn't really matter. Look at it team for team:

1) O$U > Minnesota
2) PSU > Wisconsin
3) Michigan > Iowa
4) Indiana vs...who cares, because after the first three teams in each division you're talking about Taxslayer Bowl vs. Pinstripe Bowl, i.e., meaningless discussion that really only takes place between the fans of the schools.

Fact is, the B1G West rep hasn't won the CCG yet. Until that happens, East is the better division. Top to bottom doesn't really matter. Look at it team for team:

1) O$U > Minnesota
2) PSU > Wisconsin
3) Michigan > Iowa
4) Indiana vs...who cares, because after the first three teams in each division you're talking about Taxslayer Bowl vs. Pinstripe Bowl, i.e., meaningless discussion that really only takes place between the fans of the schools.

Remove Ohio State from the equation and slide everyone down a notch.

Minnesota > PSU
Wisconsin > Michigan
Iowa > Indiana (probably)

If you look at metrics it's not close, and it hasn't been close. Not saying they are the be all end all, but it's probably the best measure we have.

If you could do that in reality, fine. But until the West wins a B1GCG...

That's really not what this thread is about. Even when the West does break through and win a BTC the record in those games would be pointed out and it heavily favor the East and I think it always will. Because the dominate team in the Big Ten is Ohio State and they are in the East. Take Ohio State out of the equation and these divisions are balanced.

Latest posts