EA Sports Ending NCAA Football game

That stinks. Its always possible it returns by next year, if some kind of settlement occurs.

NCAA 07 was the pinnacle of the series to me (I've felt it's been pretty mediocre since) - but I picked up NCAA 14 and feel that it's quite good. Very sad to see it dropped just when it seemed they were getting back on track.

The tweets are coming out pretty quickly. Seems that EA has settled out of court with the players thus ending the O'Bannon case. EA is basically saying that NCAA Football is on hiatus next year for sure and they will evaluate the future of the franchise down the road.

***Thus ending EA's involvement with the O'Bannon case. Apparently the case continues for the NCAA. Basically EA knows the ship is sinking fast and they got out with as much intact as they could.

NCAA 14 is a great game on PS3. Too bad it has come to this. Not sure which side I fall on. On one hand, those student athletes wouldn't have any value at all to their "likeness" without the NCAA, their schools, their conferences, the ridiculous TV contracts and the giant mechanism that is college football.

On the other hand, there would be no need for any of those things without the student athletes.

It's a tough one to figure out.

The tweets are coming out pretty quickly. Seems that EA has settled out of court with the players thus ending the O'Bannon case. EA is basically saying that NCAA Football is on hiatus next year for sure and they will evaluate the future of the franchise down the road.

***Thus ending EA's involvement with the O'Bannon case. Apparently the case continues for the NCAA. Basically EA knows the ship is sinking fast and they got out with as much intact as they could.

They also know the years of using a persons likeness for profit without paying said person are over.

In the future, you won't be able to play the University of Iowa Hawkeyes, or the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers. It will be like Iowa Eagle-eyes and Minnesota Golden Gerbils.

Watch for the Eagle-eye QB Jake Durok, and WR Diamond Howell.

The easy answer is to keep all the teams but don't have any numbers or likenesses even close. All games let you import rosters anyways.

The issue was that the NCAA bb game had #31 for ucla who was 6'8" 220 and looked like the guy.

If you make all players fictional and mix up the numbers they should be fine.

In the future, you won't be able to play the University of Iowa Hawkeyes, or the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers. It will be like Iowa Eagle-eyes and Minnesota Golden Gerbils.

Watch for the Eagle-eye QB Jake Durok, and WR Diamond Howell.

Teams are fine it's the player likenesses that are an issue , teams have been getting paid all along.

I don't see what the big deal is. I'm in the 2020 season in dynasty mode from NCAA '10. 10 Nat'l titles later... :eek:

^ ha, I'm sad to admit I got this reference immediately! :)

not sad at all man, Bill Walsh College Football was the ****!

Bill_Walsh_College_Football_Coverart.png

NCAA 14 is a great game on PS3. Too bad it has come to this. Not sure which side I fall on. On one hand, those student athletes wouldn't have any value at all to their "likeness" without the NCAA, their schools, their conferences, the ridiculous TV contracts and the giant mechanism that is college football.

On the other hand, there would be no need for any of those things without the student athletes.

It's a tough one to figure out.

While it's true that their likeness would have no value if it weren't for the NCAA, what good does that value do them when they can't use it? The coaches' likenesses wouldn't have any value without college football, either.

I've long been supportive of players being able to benefit from their likeness. It's a meritocracy that way. If your autograph isn't worth anything to people, that's tough. If it is, more power to you.

Nobody cares, but I'll tell you why I thought NCAA 07 was the pinnacle.

1 - the gameplay had reached maturity on that current gen of systems (i.e. Xbox/PS2)
2 - the recruiting mechanics invited actual STRATEGY. You could scout and assess a recruits potential & discipline. You could then - as a small/low prestige school - take your time to scout out hidden gem/high discipline players. At the end of the season, you could then crank the discipline way down & crank the training way up (which I thought was a fun way to build up a program!)

From there, EA went in the complete OPPOSITE direction where they made recruiting into this "game within a game" concept where you spent all your time dealing with the minutiae of the recruiting process itself (which to me is NO fun - I would rather see that abstracted and let me deal w/strategy)

NCAA 14 doesn't completely fix this, but goes a LONG ways towards getting back to that. You can scout players & find who is overrated/underrated and make your recruiting plan (which incorporates MUCH more abstraction into the process again) accordingly.

Latest posts