Dubque to Rockford

Haven't traveled that stretch in a few years. The stretch between Dubuque & the west side of Freeport on US 20 was awful. A narrow, winding road with very few opportunities to pass slow moving vehicles. From the west side of Freeport, it is all four lanes to Rockford!

Haven't traveled that stretch in a few years. The stretch between Dubuque & the west side of Freeport on US 20 was awful. A narrow, winding road with very few opportunities to pass slow moving vehicles. From the west side of Freeport, it is all four lanes to Rockford!

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info

Actually, the last few times I made the trip, I took back roads between Dubuque & Freeport. The roads were as good or better than US 20 & far less traffic. There are a ton of trucks on US 20! Don't ask me the County Road numbers, I just know where to make the turns.

It's not horrible. The roads themselves are in pretty good shape but it is fairly windy and hilly. The good thing is they have passing lanes for the slow moving vehicles on just about every hill. I don't mind the drive at all.

Live in chicago, travel back to iowa frequently.

Tips: if live near 20, take that. Yes, the dubuque to Rockford isn't ideal, but only 40 miles of it is one lane through towns. It basically turns into an interstate 25 miles before Rockford until connecting to 90.

90: if you live way north in the state, still drop down to 20. Ridiculous amount of road work going on around Madison lately and will save you no time.

80: beats 20 if you live closer, but right now, don't take the free option of 55 into the city. (88 after you cross the border - has tolls. Keep going to 55 - no tolls). Although it will cost you like $8 on 88 in tolls, it's worth it right now. They are doing massive work on the Jane Byrne interchange downtown - where 55 meets all the others - and you'll regret it.

Hope that helps. On Iowa, Go Hawks!

Live in chicago, travel back to iowa frequently.

Tips: if live near 20, take that. Yes, the dubuque to Rockford isn't ideal, but only 40 miles of it is one lane through towns. It basically turns into an interstate 25 miles before Rockford until connecting to 90.

90: if you live way north in the state, still drop down to 20. Ridiculous amount of road work going on around Madison lately and will save you no time.

80: beats 20 if you live closer, but right now, don't take the free option of 55 into the city. (88 after you cross the border - has tolls. Keep going to 55 - no tolls). Although it will cost you like $8 on 88 in tolls, it's worth it right now. They are doing massive work on the Jane Byrne interchange downtown - where 55 meets all the others - and you'll regret it.

Hope that helps. On Iowa, Go Hawks!

Thank you.

Keep in mind that leaf watchers will be all over on that 40 mile stretch of 2 lane road. Leave extra time to get through this time of year. Seems like half of Chicago drives to Galena this time of year. It actually should be a beautiful drive.

Just plan on it taking longer than normal. All it takes is one person to drive 40 mph to really mess things up. Also, lots of fieldwork going on so running into a tractor or combine is probably going to happen.

Latest posts