DSM Register asks "Who's the Greatest Big 4 basketball player ever"?

In the last 40 years, only one team from the state has advanced to the Final Four. That team was carried on the back of their star player, who really only had one leg.

Ronnie Lester is the man. Great player. Great competitor.

As of now, only 12 people had voted. To say anyone is "dominating the voting" is false. Also, how in the world is Jamaal Tinsley seeded ahead of Marcus Fizer? Makes absolutely no sense to me.

So Marble, Iowa's all time leading scorer is not on there? How would he not be one of the best of the big 4 when he is one of the best ever at Iowa?

So Marble, Iowa's all time leading scorer is not on there? How would he not be one of the best of the big 4 when he is one of the best ever at Iowa?

In the wake of recent happenings in Iowa City, you shouldn't be surprised Marble is not included.

In 20 years, will DJK's name be listed in a similar poll of greatest WR's in the state, even if he is still Iowa's all time leading WR at that point? Doubtful.

As far as this (lame ***) poll goes, Lester is probably the best. Tinsley would be a close 2nd, and simply because he only played for 2 years.

Where to begin? I'm not sure which is worse...the omissions or the obviously "loaded" seedings of the guys they did include.

Jamaal Tinsley a #3 seed and BJ Armstrong not even listed. Tinsley could barely read and he blew a layup that got his #2 seeded team knocked out in the first round of the NCAAs. (a choke the likes of which has only happened 4 times in the entire history of the March Madness). That alone makes this thing a joke.

And Ben Jacobsen?! He wouldn't even make the second 16 if the bracket were doubled.

Last edited:
In the wake of recent happenings in Iowa City, you shouldn't be surprised Marble is not included.

In 20 years, will DJK's name be listed in a similar poll of greatest WR's in the state, even if he is still Iowa's all time leading WR at that point? Doubtful.

As far as this (lame ***) poll goes, Lester is probably the best. Tinsley would be a close 2nd, and simply because he only played for 2 years.

How soon we forget the indiscretions of Tinsley? But......I am sure he was not involved in anything like this while at ISU!

Pacers' Tinsley was target; equipment manager suffered gunshot wounds - NBA - ESPN

How soon we forget the indiscretions of Tinsley? But......I am sure he was not involved in anything like this while at ISU!

Pacers' Tinsley was target; equipment manager suffered gunshot wounds - NBA - ESPN

:) No...not forgetting Tinsley's transgressions at all. Just that Marble's were the same as those transgressions currently dominating the state's sporting news at the moment. That's all I was saying, and giving a possible reason for his omission.

To go a little further, Roy Marble was a fantastic player. I do find it odd that no players from those teams - Armstrong, Gamble, Marble especially - are not included. I am not surprised with the Lohaus and Jeff Moe omissions though.

Latest posts