DSJ/Moore

DSJ wasn't happy about not wrestling VT, but.........Moore got the win and then DSJ came out and got MD against the guy from Oregon St..........granted DSJ got the tougher wrestler........

Vinnie's win sealed the deal Sunday........that was a great win for him!

Vinnie's win sealed the deal Sunday........that was a great win for him!
I agree. That's a great way for him to finish his Hawkeye career (assuming GG takes over the 184 spot this weekend). It's always good to go out on a winning note.

Maybe DSJ needs to suck it up and wrestle then. Right now he looks terrible. I'd start Moore. I swear, at this point I'd never recruit another West High kid.

his injury is why he wasn't wrestling, his attitude and mentality is why he wrestled like crap.

That same attitude and mentality is what has been getting DSJ out on the mat with a serious knee injury to begin with. I hope you're not trying to tell us DSJ is weak minded. Even Brands would disagree with you, and he doesn't just blow sunshine up people's butt.

StJohn is strong willed. He's a tough kid and a fighter. He's the one West High recruit that i'm actually excited about going forward. In general I hate their style and I don't like how these kids look coming out of Reiland's system. However, StJohn appears to be the exception.

That said... hurt or not... he's wrestling like crap right now. A 50% StJohn should be pounding the guys he's losing to lately.

I hope he gets better in a hurry. We need him badly. Otherwise, go with Moore.

That same attitude and mentality is what has been getting DSJ out on the mat with a serious knee injury to begin with. I hope you're not trying to tell us DSJ is weak minded. Even Brands would disagree with you, and he doesn't just blow sunshine up people's butt.

He is weak minded. Some guys are tougher than others, picture Morningstar wrestling on one leg at NCAAs. St. John in that same situation would quit like he did at Midlands. And Brands definitely recognizes that dsj is weak minded.

He is weak minded. Some guys are tougher than others, picture Morningstar wrestling on one leg at NCAAs. St. John in that same situation would quit like he did at Midlands. And Brands definitely recognizes that dsj is weak minded.

Is it his weak mindedness that allowed him to take 2nd in the country last year as a freshman? I'm not making excuses for DSJ but it is obvious he has not had much mat time/conditioning during the past 8 weeks due to his knee injury.
(Plus re-injuring the knee against Ohio St didn't help matters)

Maybe DSJ needs to suck it up and wrestle then. Right now he looks terrible. I'd start Moore. I swear, at this point I'd never recruit another West High kid.
This is one of the worst comments i have seen written on this board in awhile. Really did u just say that. What place did Gambral and Dsj get last year at nationals as underclassmen?

his injury is why he wasn't wrestling, his attitude and mentality is why he wrestled like crap.
How do you know that? His knee is clearly hurt. RJ Pena is an explosive wrestler. St John needs to recover before he gets released to the wolves. Its just not his year

CR who are you to say Derek is weak minded? To me a strong minded person wouldnt post nasty **** about a 20 year old kid because he is injured. Was he weak minded when he was a high All American as a freshman? I dont remember the "weak minded" posts then. I remember it was noting but praise and gratitude.

Give the guy a break he is one of the Hawkeyes top wrestlers when healthy and will be for 2 more years.

Whats up with comments about West High kids? Nate Moore has been down i agree but Carew has bad knees,Nick Moore is coming along DSJ and Gambral are all Americans when healthy. I personally like the pipeline.

Its true some college wrestlers that were studs in high school dont always work out. Happens all the time. They are 18-22 year old kids growing up!

I never said he wasn't talented. He is definitely a talented wrestler, and when he's 100% he's one of the best there is in the weight class. But we've seen him quit when he's not 100%, we heard Brands interviews last year where he said the issues were "between his ears." sorry but unless he's 100% I don't have any faith that he can fight through some pain.

I/m not going to buy the weak minded crap. Stjohn has come a long ways and given up alot to be considered that. Poor choice of words.;)

Well CR way to bring up the past. The comments Brands had about DSJ was right after the Midlands last year where he wrestled poorly. If Derek's performance last year at nationals are any clue of where his head was at then he is quite smart between the ears. He lost to Fittery and Taylor. Just about everybody loses to them.

STJ is a stud and he will be back!

I never said he wasn't talented. He is definitely a talented wrestler, and when he's 100% he's one of the best there is in the weight class. But we've seen him quit when he's not 100%, we heard Brands interviews last year where he said the issues were "between his ears." sorry but unless he's 100% I don't have any faith that he can fight through some pain.

There is a huge difference between "fighting through pain" and having a serious injury that limits your physical abilities. (especially in the sport of wrestling)
I believe Coach Brands would disagree with your comment about DSJ not being "mentally tough".

I honestly don't understand your negative attitude towards DSJ considering his current circumstances.

Ah here we go with Wild Turkeys personal insults and wrestling genius. Don't make fun of West High or he will jump all over you. I didn't like Reilands wrestling and I don't like the style he churns out. It's my personal opinion. Moore is not really coming along. Carew has attitude issues not knees. Nate Moore hasn't ever been able to do anything. StJ is good and hopefully will turn it around - he's hurt but has looked terrible lately against bad competition. Gambrall has been awful this year undersized or not. I can't stand how West kids allow people to their legs all the time - you see it continually out of their guys. Notice how we didn't got after any of their "studs" this year? Let ISU have them. I want guys who attack and stalk - Linn Mar has a much better style IMO.

Latest posts