Drop Title IX: No More Free Rides

The Big Ten Network basically pays for the athletic department. The BTN needs more than just basketball and football for programming.

Not really - Big Ten schools receive around $7 million to $8 million from the BTN, The University of Iowa’s FY 2011 athletic budget revenue projection is $65.6 million.

His point still plays. Yes, out of state tuition is paid for guys like Cartwright/Basabe/etc. But people DO care about basketball. They don't care about field hockey here, and there are few, if any players from the state because high schools don't play it. We're paying an entire roster's worth of out of state tuition for a sport that people in Iowa just don't know/care about.

+1

Perhaps to "even" things up a little, women's bb coaches should be under the same pressure as the two men's primary sports as far as filling the arena and earning money. Right now women's sports coaches are under NO pressure to bring in more money. Women bb teams stand there with their hands out wanting more and more and the entire time complain about how they are not treated as well. Women's bb coaches should be put under the same pressure as men's coaches to fill arena and earn money.

Of course if the athletic departments were required to do that, virtually all other sports would be crippled. The only difference is that I don't believe the other "men's sports" complain like the women do but we are talking genes here aren't we.

Perhaps to "even" things up a little, women's bb coaches should be under the same pressure as the two men's primary sports as far as filling the arena and earning money. Right now women's sports coaches are under NO pressure to bring in more money. Women bb teams stand there with their hands out wanting more and more and the entire time complain about how they are not treated as well. Women's bb coaches should be put under the same pressure as men's coaches to fill arena and earn money.

Honestly, can you anti-Title IX roll out any more ridiculous apples to oranges comparisons? This argument is so asinine that I barely know how to respond without viciously assaulting your character.

Why do you fools think the only thing athletics are supposed to contribute to a school is money? This discussion is about so much more than money, but that is all you want to talk about.

Honestly, can you anti-Title IX roll out any more ridiculous apples to oranges comparisons? This argument is so asinine that I barely know how to respond without viciously assaulting your character.

Why do you fools think the only thing athletics are supposed to contribute to a school is money? This discussion is about so much more than money, but that is all you want to talk about.

Great post.

Of course if the athletic departments were required to do that, virtually all other sports would be crippled. The only difference is that I don't believe the other "men's sports" complain like the women do but we are talking genes here aren't we.

New Mex, that is why the other coaches don't make millions of dollars. Football and basketball is asked to carry the load, but the staffs are very well compensated for the pressure cooker they are in.

I'm not sure where I come down on this issue. I don't think it's a simple one, but everything is about money. At least with departments like History and English one can argue that the greater benefit to society in the future makes the investment worth it. Can anyone honestly argue that an investment in sports that lose money provides a greater benefit to society?

I don't think this is as simple as some have made it sound, but I also don't think it's as simple as you've implied here. There's a clear advantage to funding English departments. Exactly what benefits to society do these money-losing sports provide?

I'm sure there are some benefits. Teamwork, for example. However, we can teach that using far less money than it takes to run an athletic program that loses money. So the question really is this: what benefits do these money-losing programs provide society and are there cheaper, more efficient ways to accomplish the same thing?

That argument is a lame cop out. I am sure all of your Tennis matches are sold out because the people of Iowa know and watch tennis...

For the record, I DON'T agree with that line of thinking. I was just playing devil's advocate there.

I actually do enjoy several of the non-revenue sports. I haven't been to a field hockey game yet (mostly because the field is WAY out in the sticks), but I plan to this year. I've been to a few swimming and diving meets, and those can be pretty exciting. I've only gone to two softball games (Both against Wisconsin, because a friend of mine is Wisky's #1 pitcher. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have gone.); I've just never really cared that much for softball.

Wrestling is a non-revenue sport for nearly every university, as well. Ours is pretty well-off, but that doesn't mean that most programs are. It wouldn't say a whole lot to win a national championship if there were only 6 programs left in the nation, would it?

Are we seriously talking about cutting track and field, too? Give me a break.

And for me, women's basketball is BY FAR my favorite college sport to watch outside of football and men's basketball. Honestly, in 2009-2010, I had more fun watching Bluder's Bunch than watch Lick's Hawks.

Title IX is an issue for many universities because of the requirements involved. And in the end, universities are hard pressed to find sports for women to make up an equal number of scholarships as for men's sports.

Take lacrosse. There are I believe 62 schools that have D1 lacrosse. There are currently 91 D1 women's teams. Men's teams tend to have some 40-50 players, and I'm guessing women's are pretty similar.

When Michigan goes D1 in 2013, they will be the first BCS school to make the jump since Notre Dame in 1981.

Baseball/softball is played by both sexes. Lacrosse is. Gymnastics is. Hockey is.

Football isn't.

And that pretty much tells you all you need to know about the effect of Title IX.

Last edited:
Field Hockey is the second biggest sport at Iowa in terms of number of scholarships. All the women are from out of state. There is ZERO ticket revenue.

Latest posts