Dribble Drive

ICHAWK

Watching Iowa it is painfully obvious that Bryce Cartwright is the only consistent dribble drive threat.

I don't really consider Cully that from watching him last season. I think Cully is a better "true PG" than Cartwright in terms of decision making, but I don't think of Cully as a dribble drive threat.

Who will be on Iowa's roster next season that will help solve this issue?

Matt Gatens- He is not a dribble drive threat, I know Fran spoke of him being more explosive after losing weight and whatnot but he is not a dribble drive threat.

Eric May- I have never seen a guy go side to side more than Eric. He needs to turn his shoulder and use his strength to create some contact and draw fouls at least. He seems to just dribble across the floor and not get turned and going to the basket.

Devyn Marble- He is not very strong but he has not looked very comfortable with the ball in his hand during Big 10 play this season. I don't think that he is a natural ball handler as I think he is not that comfortable with guys who are just as athletic and stronger than him pressing him. He just does not like he handles the ball for extended periods of time that well.

Cully Payne- He is a natural PG unlike Bryce, but he really is not a guy I would classify as a dribble drive guy.

Ogelsby- Never watch him play but I get the idea he is not much a dribble drive guy? I am going to try to make it to a game of his to see what he looks like. I would like to see how quick he looks and try to project him.

Iowa needs to get another player better than Bryce to be the main threat and have Bryce spell that player. I don't feel that great about things until Iowa improves it's perimeter ball handlers personally.

What do you all think?

Pretty accurate assessment overall. Marble I think will be that kind of player. He's got the ability to be a true scorer. He's just not a natural point guard. He's an off guard, through and through.

I think Washpun would also be a penetrator. I'd take he or Stokes.

UncleHawk

Am I living in the twilight zone here? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. If we continue to recruit low level talent we will continue to get low level results. Fran needs to get out there and find a way to get some 4-5 star kids in here.

I think Marble will develop into that guy and don't rule out Cully, he went to the basket a lot last season, but wasn't looking to score, so the jury is out on him.

If Iowa can get the Stokes kid, he appears to be a player that will come in and not be afraid to attack the hoop as he is making the transition from SG to PG and still has that scoring mentality.

I agree with you on May, use his strength, but he still must significantly improve his ball handling.

Oglesby seems to be a player in the mold of Gatens, but a little taller.

It will take some time to get more players that can and will get to the hoop consistently, but I think that if Cartwright improved his court vision, he would see people open earlier and create good shots from his drive and not turning it over. He has improved tremendously, but still has work to do.

If Iowa can get the Stokes kid, he appears to be a player that will come in and not be afraid to attack the hoop as he is making the transition from SG to PG and still has that scoring mentality.

UncleHawk

UncleHawk

I would take Stokes at this point due to his scoring mentality, Iowa needs players off the bench that can score.
Although, if Washpun can dribble drive and find open shooters, I am good with that as well.

I know this is based on one game, but I personally think Cully can be a dribble drive threat. In his one game last year that Lick actually changed up the offense against Mich in the BT Tourney Cully drove to the rim nicely and scored what 20 some points. I'm not saying that is the solution to all of the problems this year but we have to remember he was playing hurt most of this season.

I know this is based on one game, but I personally think Cully can be a dribble drive threat. In his one game last year that Lick actually changed up the offense against Mich in the BT Tourney Cully drove to the rim nicely and scored what 20 some points. I'm not saying that is the solution to all of the problems this year but we have to remember he was playing hurt most of this season.

Lickliters offense was based on dribble driving. The problem was none of the 4 guards on the court could consistently dribble drive and be legit scoring threats. Cully at times was able to get near the hoop last year but he was zero threat to finish, it's like teams baited him into driving and then blocked his shot. Lot's of his drives ended up with him trying to jump pass from the baseline and turning the ball over.

I don't know but I just don't view anyone other than Cartwright as a real threat to consistently beat defenders (he even struggles at times against in your face defenders) and actually maybe have the athletic ability/strenght to finish as well.

I think Iowa desperately needs to find a player in the 2011 class to come in and be at least as good as Cartwright. That might mean having to find a JUCO guard.

I don't know how just sitting back and hoping guys improve when we have pretty good idea what they all bring in the dribble drive game is a way to progress.

Gatens, McCabe, May are all players that would play off a legit player really well, however none are guys who will ever be a true stud. I like Cartwright but Iowa needs a better player than him. I don't think Cully has the ability to be better than Cartwright in terms of dribble drive and finishing. I think Cully is a better true PG than Cartwright.

I think Iowa might have to look into another JUCO guard.

Cully can be a dribble drive pg w/out a doubt. Yes it would be nice to get some help but CP is a dd type of guard.

Although Michigan was not a good team, you are on to something, Cully took it upon himself to score, but still made good choices overall during that game. I expected to see that this year, unfortunately the hernia and torn oblique took him away. Payne with more free reign is going to be a player to watch.

Lickliters offense was based on dribble driving. The problem was none of the 4 guards on the court could consistently dribble drive and be legit scoring threats. Cully at times was able to get near the hoop last year but he was zero threat to finish, it's like teams baited him into driving and then blocked his shot. Lot's of his drives ended up with him trying to jump pass from the baseline and turning the ball over.

I don't know but I just don't view anyone other than Cartwright as a real threat to consistently beat defenders (he even struggles at times against in your face defenders) and actually maybe have the athletic ability/strenght to finish as well.

I think Iowa desperately needs to find a player in the 2011 class to come in and be at least as good as Cartwright. That might mean having to find a JUCO guard.

I don't know how just sitting back and hoping guys improve when we have pretty good idea what they all bring in the dribble drive game is a way to progress.

Gatens, McCabe, May are all players that would play off a legit player really well, however none are guys who will ever be a true stud. I like Cartwright but Iowa needs a better player than him. I don't think Cully has the ability to be better than Cartwright in terms of dribble drive and finishing. I think Cully is a better true PG than Cartwright.

I think Iowa might have to look into another JUCO guard.

Couldn't agree more. He was a terrible finisher last year. When he'd get to the hoop, which wasn't often, he'd miss the layup and end up on the floor somehow. Painful to watch.

Having more players with the ability to take the ball off the bounce would be beneficial; however, there are countless ways to play winning basketball with other systems. The dribble drive motion is the current "in" style of play, but we can win regardless.

Having more players with the ability to take the ball off the bounce would be beneficial; however, there are countless ways to play winning basketball with other systems. The dribble drive motion is the current "in" style of play, but we can win regardless.
Correct, Bama just beat Kentucky and had them down by 20 at one point. Iowa just needs consistancy and no defects this year. The defects have hurt the most imo.

Latest posts