Drew Ott Parade All American

Going from 8-man to Big Ten football will be a huge jump, but once he adds some bulk and gets up to speed, he could be the next all-American DE for the Hawks. He is a fantastic overall athlete, and Iowa is really fortunate that Nebraska is unable to offer him this year.

Going from 8-man to Big Ten football will be a huge jump, but once he adds some bulk and gets up to speed, he could be the next all-American DE for the Hawks. He is a fantastic overall athlete, and Iowa is really fortunate that Nebraska is unable to offer him this year.
Not unable, unwilling. They feel they are going after bigger fish. I think he will be a good one.

Let's just hope that they don't offer him on or close to signing day, because I have a feeling that he would definitely shun us.

Not unable, unwilling. They feel they are going after bigger fish. I think he will be a good one.

Fair enough, though I would say it's a matter of semantics. They're unwilling to offer him because they are unable to sign a big number this year. I think if they were able to sign a larger (20+) class, they would be willing to offer Ott and would have been willing to offer Shott as well.

Let's just hope that they don't offer him on or close to signing day, because I have a feeling that he would definitely shun us.

What makes you say that? If, as Mose said, Nebraska was unwilling to offer him earlier, why would he be interested if they came in late? Nobody wants to be a consolation prize, so I don't see him changing his mind. Iowa offered him in June, so we've been there for awhile.

What makes you say that? If, as Mose said, Nebraska was unwilling to offer him earlier, why would he be interested if they came in late? Nobody wants to be a consolation prize, so I don't see him changing his mind. Iowa offered him in June, so we've been there for awhile.

I don't know if he woudl change now or not, but he has said NEbby was his dream school. He went to a game after committing to Iowa. I hope he stays with Iowa, but you never know.

I don't know if he woudl change now or not, but he has said NEbby was his dream school. He went to a game after committing to Iowa. I hope he stays with Iowa, but you never know.

I would still rather go to a school that wanted me than a dream school where I was an afterthought. I guess anything is possible, but I choose to be positive about it.

I would still rather go to a school that wanted me than a dream school where I was an afterthought. I guess anything is possible, but I choose to be positive about it.

So if the only school that offered you was Nebraska and you committed, then on Jan 23rd Iowa finally offered you, you wouldn't even consider it?

So if the only school that offered you was Nebraska and you committed, then on Jan 23rd Iowa finally offered you, you wouldn't even consider it?

It would be silly to not consider it, but I don't think I would change my commitment. I guess it would depend on the circumstances. I mean if I knew Iowa had scholarships available and waited to Jan 23rd to offer, no I wouldn't change.

I live in Grand Island which is close to Giltner. Here is an article about this from our local paper.

Ott named Parade All-American - The Grand Island Independent : Local Sports: giltner, drew ott, scott frost, jeff ashby, prep football

By Dale Miller dale.miller@theindependent.com theindependent.com | 0 comments

John Elway. Dan Marino. Joe Montana.

Scott Frost. Ahman Green. Eric Crouch.

And now Drew Ott.

The 8-man football player from small town central Nebraska has joined the ranks of the prestigious Parade All-Americans.

The 49th annual edition of the Parade All-American Team, which honors the top 53 high school football players in the country, was released in Sunday's edition of Parade magazine, which is included in the Independent.

The 6-foot-4, 245-pound Giltner tight end/linebacker and Iowa recruit was tough to surprise on the football field.

But being named to the 2011 Parade All-American football team was a different story.

"It felt really good," he said. "I was really shocked that they could find me playing 8-man football out here.

"My family was surprised like I was. It's kind of embarrassing, but I'm happy."

While Ott made a name for himself in Nebraska as a force playing 8-man football and was named to about every first team possible in the state after his senior season, this award is a whole different level of accomplishment.

"I think this is probably the highest award you could ask for a high school football player, being named to the Parade All-American team," Giltner football coach Jeff Ashby said. "If you look, he's only the 21st player from Nebraska on it out of 49 years. There's players like Scott Frost, Eric Crouch and Ahman Green. I'm glad he was chosen. He deserves it."

But even Ashby, a coach Ott credits for "doing a good job of talking me up," was surprised when he got the news.

"It caught me off guard, coming out of a Nebraska 8-man school," Ashby said. "He and Scott Frost are the only two (Nebraskans named Parade All-Americans) outside of Lincoln and Omaha."

Ott was one of 18 players selected to the team as a lineman. He plans to move to defensive lineman in college for the Hawkeyes.

The other Parade All-American linemen included three from California and three from Florida.

"This (award) is a lot to live up to," Ott said. "It adds some pressure."

But Ashby said Ott has done everything he's needed to do to become the best football player he can be and earn his accolades.

"Obviously he's put in a great deal of time," he said. "When he's out there (on the field), he's done everything he's needed to do to prepare.

"He's done a great job on offense, gone to camps and gotten recognized for what he does on the field. It doesn't matter what size of school you play at, when you go up against the big boys at camps, you can tell who is a football player."

Ott was a standout on both sides of the ball for the Hornets. As a senior, he had 52 receptions for 960 yards and 18 touchdowns.

On defense, he amassed 122 tackles (46 solo), numbers that would have been much higher except for the fact that he spent most of the second half on the sidelines during the regular season due to Giltner blowing out opponent after opponent.

"The stats he's put up over his four-year career are phenomenal," Ashby said. "As a linebacker, he had 626 career tackles. That's a pretty outstanding stat.

"It's pretty special to coach one player like him, especially at our level. With him and Logan Rath going Division I, I've only had five Division I players in the 20 years I've been coaching."

For Ott, being named a Parade All-American is a nice extra bonus to cap off his high school football career.

"My biggest goal was to get a scholarship," he said. "That was the big thing. I never thought about getting awards. But it's nice."

And it's something that the football program, the school and the community can take pride in, too, Ashby said.

"This is a really big deal for a small school," he said. "Everybody in Giltner is proud of Drew and all he's done, along with his teammates. There's a lot of talent in this program, and the guys keep working hard to keep things going.

"It's been fun having him play for us for four years. It's nice to see a kid get recognized, especially with how hard he works."

Larry Station was another Nebby recruit that was a Parade All American in 1981.
He became a great Hawkeye for Hayden Fry.
I hope Drew does as well for KF.

Latest posts