Drake, Ellingsen, Gatens and who might be next?

Zstatman

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...-built-darian-devries-nick-norton/2727239002/

Good, interesting article on how this year's Drake Bulldog roster qas put together. I see they just won their 20th game yesterday. They'd have to win their conference tourney to make The Dance but an NIT bid might be realistic.

But for this post I want to focus on the Brady Ellingsen portion of the article. I'm guessing Brady is really happy with the move. He's starting, averaging 11 ppg and playing a key role in the Drake resurgence. The article says he wanted more minutes as a reason for leaving Iowa that's what he got.

Matt Gatens is Director of Basketball Operatoins.

It got me to wondering which current Hawks might be a candidate for the same role at Drake for next year?

- Isiaih Moss, he could go to Drake and possibly be a star if he could be consistent. I don't really see this, I see him going to pro rout to make some money and see how far he can take his game. G League, maybe.
- Maishe Dailey, assuming he's graduating in three years like most seem to these days, Maishe might be a good candiate. he's not going to get many minutes on the court next year and he could end his college career with a move like this.
- Is Cordell Pemslon track to graduate in 3 years? If so, he might want to consider this although his black and gold blood seems to run pretty deep. But think about it, is he really going to come back next year and make a significant impact? I doubt it. He'll be fighting Garza, Kriener, Nunge, Wieskamp, Patrick McCaffrey (am I forgetting anyone) for minutes in the front court and if he's not scoring much, his playing time might be tough to get.He could play a more integral role at Drake.

Anybody else?

NONE of these guys are going ANYWHERE would be my prediction. I always look at the bench for player reactions and ALL THESE GUYS are having the times of their lives. Believe it or not, life for all people to be happy is not always all about themselves as odd as that may seem in today's world. These guys are happy as crap to be HAWKEYES and ain't going nowhere Jack...

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...-built-darian-devries-nick-norton/2727239002/

Good, interesting article on how this year's Drake Bulldog roster qas put together. I see they just won their 20th game yesterday. They'd have to win their conference tourney to make The Dance but an NIT bid might be realistic.

But for this post I want to focus on the Brady Ellingsen portion of the article. I'm guessing Brady is really happy with the move. He's starting, averaging 11 ppg and playing a key role in the Drake resurgence. The article says he wanted more minutes as a reason for leaving Iowa that's what he got.

It got me to wondering which current Hawks might be a candidate for the same role at Drake for next year?

- Isiaih Moss, he could go to Drake and possibly be a star if he could be consistent. I don't really see this, I see him going to pro rout to make some money and see how far he can take his game. G League, maybe.
- Maishe Dailey, assuming he's graduating in three years like most seem to these days, Maishe might be a good candiate. he's not going to get many minutes on the court next year and he could end his college career with a move like this.
- Is Cordell Pemslon track to graduate in 3 years? If so, he might want to consider this although his black and gold blood seems to run pretty deep. But think about it, is he really going to come back next year and make a significant impact? I doubt it. He'll be fighting Garza, Kriener, Nunge, Wieskamp, Patrick McCaffrey (am I forgetting anyone) for minutes in the front court and if he's not scoring much, his playing time might be tough to get.He could play a more integral role at Drake.

Anybody else?

Graduating in 3 year "like most seem to"? I don't think getting your undergrad in 3 years is that common.

Dailey or Pemsl are both candidates to transfer, though they may have missed their best window after Soph year. Tough to transfer, sit out a year and then play only one.

With the Jr class so overloaded, Fran's staff better be doing some serious recruiting or the cupboard is gonna be pretty thin in 18 months. Weiskamp can't win games all by himself.

Graduating in 3 year "like most seem to"? I don't think getting your undergrad in 3 years is that common.

Dailey or Pemsl are both candidates to transfer, though they may have missed their best window after Soph year. Tough to transfer, sit out a year and then play only one.

With the Jr class so overloaded, Fran's staff better be doing some serious recruiting or the cupboard is gonna be pretty thin in 18 months. Weiskamp can't win games all by himself.

Graduating in 3 years is becoming more and more common. Some players are starting to enter college with almost a full years' worth of credits due to taking them in HS. They tend to take a class or two in the summer as well while training on campus. So yeah, graduating in 3 years is more common than it used to be. That said, I have no clue where any of the Iowa players stand.

I don't see Moss playing anywhere else at the college level. He's either heading overseas or staying for one more year.

Dailey maybe. His minutes have decreased as the season has gone on. He only played 2 minutes yesterday and 7 minutes against Northwestern.

Pemsl thought about it last offseason. Who knows where he stands medically. Hard to see him wanting to leave with the way the program is trending now.

Fredrick is another one I'd keep an eye on. Hard to imagine him wanting to sit out another year by transferring though. Maybe he jumps Dailey in the offseason and that forces Dailey's hand?

Fran says if they deserve to play, they will play. That means we need a player or two besides Cook to move on or we'll be looking at what, a 13 man rotation next year?

Fredrick needs Moss to move on to have a chance at minutes for next year.

Dailey seems the most logical candidate, he's the Dom Uhl of this year.

Mike Gesell said it's easy to graduate in three years. They start taking classes the summer of their senior high school year when they hit campus and playing college basketball now is a 12 month thing. With the graduate transfer route out there for all of them, I'd think they would all have their eyes on it.

I don't see Moss playing anywhere else at the college level. He's either heading overseas or staying for one more year.

Dailey maybe. His minutes have decreased as the season has gone on. He only played 2 minutes yesterday and 7 minutes against Northwestern.

Pemsl thought about it last offseason. Who knows where he stands medically. Hard to see him wanting to leave with the way the program is trending now.

Fredrick is another one I'd keep an eye on. Hard to imagine him wanting to sit out another year by transferring though. Maybe he jumps Dailey in the offseason and that forces Dailey's hand?

I don't see CJ leaving since he was willing to walk on for a year because he wanted to play here so bad.

Graduating in 3 years is becoming more and more common. Some players are starting to enter college with almost a full years' worth of credits due to taking them in HS. They tend to take a class or two in the summer as well while training on campus. So yeah, graduating in 3 years is more common than it used to be. That said, I have no clue where any of the Iowa players stand.

Of course it's more common, but it's still far from the norm. The vast majority of students don't do it. Either way, Dailey and Pemsl only have a year if they transfer. That makes it tough.

Other than maybe Dailey. I don't see anyone else moving on. If TC comes back, Pemsl or Nunge might bolt. If any of those guys do decide to leave I doubt Drake is option A.

Fran says if they deserve to play, they will play. That means we need a player or two besides Cook to move on or we'll be looking at what, a 13 man rotation next year?

Fredrick needs Moss to move on to have a chance at minutes for next year.
If you’re making commentary about not liking how Fran rotates players so often I get it, and I don’t disagree.

But the above is totally ridiculous.

Show me a case where a P6 junior (who has started every game and is in the top 5 on his team in minutes, field goals, FG%, 3P, 3P%, assists, steals and total points) has ever voluntarily left and gone to a non power conference because he thought an incoming freshman might steal some of his minutes next year.

I’ll wait, but not very long because that’s a nonsensical inference.

Last edited:
If you’re making commentary about not liking how Fran rotates players so often I get it, and I don’t disagree.

But the above is the dumbest thing I’ve read here. And I’ve read (and posted myself) some really dumb shit on these boards.

Show me a case where a P6 junior (who has started every game and is in the top 5 on his team in minutes, field goals, FG%, 3P, 3P%, assists, steals and total points) has ever voluntarily left and gone to a non power conference because he thought an incoming freshman might steal some of his minutes next year.

I’ll wait, but not very long because that’s a pretty stupid inference.

That's a lot of calling stupid for someone who mis-read a post lol.

NONE of these guys are going ANYWHERE would be my prediction. I always look at the bench for player reactions and ALL THESE GUYS are having the times of their lives. Believe it or not, life for all people to be happy is not always all about themselves as odd as that may seem in today's world. These guys are happy as crap to be HAWKEYES and ain't going nowhere Jack...
I'm sure Mike "Tree" Henry could have averaged double doubles at a place like Drake.

I'm sure he wouldn't trade his 1980 Final Four experience for the world.

How about Michael Morgan on the 1987 team?

These guys were happy to be Hawkeyes, relished the privilege, and led by example in practice, in the locker room, and in the classroom, knowing all along they were going to sacrifice playing time to younger players.

Those are true Hawkeyes in my book, and so are Maishe and Cordell regardless of how or where they finish.

Anybody else?

I'm sorry, but this is a silly topic.

It's good to know the basketball board is just like the football board regarding people anxious to see players leave the team prematurely. And by "good to know" I mean a nightmare far worse than anything Stephen King could ever conjure up.